Paugeot 207 - Used car dealer warranty - Saabworries

My daughter bought a used Peugeot 207 6 weeks ago from an independent (well respected) local dealer. It's an 07 plate with 65,000 miles and was sold with a 3 month dealer warranty.

She noticed a noise from the clutch today and took the car to a Peugeot dealer to look at. The diagnosis is that the thrust bearing is failing and should be replaced - with the whole clutch needing to be replaced at the same time. She has contacted the selling garage who says that replacing the bearing may be covered by the warranty, but the whole clutch certainly won't be.

She's been quoted £450 parts + labour.

Does she have any legal rights?

Paugeot 207 - Used car dealer warranty - tony g
(Does she have any legal rights?)

Absolutely ,the dealer warranty is irrelevant ,after 6 weeks of ownership the sale of goods act says that the dealer must pay for the whole cost of the repair .

SOGA requires a dealer to be able to prove that a fault wasn't on a car when it was sold ,for a period of 6 months after purchase .

Paugeot 207 - Used car dealer warranty - Chris M

But wouldn't the dealer just have to replace the bearing? If there is life left in the clutch and it's working correctly, he could leave alone.

Paugeot 207 - Used car dealer warranty - thunderbird

But wouldn't the dealer just have to replace the bearing? If there is life left in the clutch and it's working correctly, he could leave alone.

Correct, why should the dealer replace parts if there is life in them. BUT if the OP wants them replacing while its apart to ensure there are no issues down the line they could pay for new parts and get the fitted at the same time, should be no extra labout to pay while its in bits.

A new clutch kit for a 207 is around £45 on e bay .Supply the kit to the dealer at your cost .

It's pointless taking the gearbox out to replace a thrust bearing and not replacing the clutch .Their would be no additional cost to the dealer .
Paugeot 207 - Used car dealer warranty - SlidingPillar

While I'd not buy car parts from eBay, as poor quality copy parts abound, the major part of the bill for doing the job on most cars is the labour.

So although the thrust race job should be covered, you'd be very foolish not to have a new clutch as all you would need to pay for is the parts. And perhaps 1/2 hour extra labour (to swap clutch pressure and driven plate over, and align the driven plate.

Exactly the same happened to me, and I actually told the dealer to bill me for a new clutch as well although they didn't mention it. .

Paugeot 207 - Used car dealer warranty - Saabworries

Thank you all for the really helpful advice.

I'll give an update once my daughter has spoken to the dealer.

Thanks

Paugeot 207 - Used car dealer warranty - becca86

Thanks for all the really useful advice, and thanks to my Dad for introducing me to Honest John! The dealer has agreed to fit a new Valeo thrust bearing for the car - all I am liable for is paying for the clutch. However I have spoken to the finance company which arranged the HP agreement (Barclays) and they have offered to pay 75% of this cost as a good will gesture, so I am left with a bill of £24.00 for a complete clutch kit, fully fitted.

That's a great result ,it's very unusual for a finance company to get involved in the way you describe ,well done .