ford focus 2005 1.6 TDCI - crankshaft pulley replaced, came off again.. help! - sezsesz

about 6 weeks ago we replaced the crankshaft pulley, yesterday i drove down the road and heard a clunk and the battery light came on, got the car home again, the crankshaft pulley bolt and belt had come off and were sitting on the underside engine cover thing, put it all back together again and started the engine but noticed the bolt was undoing itself again, so took it apart again, checked everything, all seemed fine, put back on tried to start the engine again and now it won't start, the crankshaft pulley is turning and the bolt does not appear to be undoing (hard to tell with the engine not actually starting) but cannot get it to start now.. my partner has done all work and is flummoxed, any help would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance

ford focus 2005 1.6 TDCI - crankshaft pulley replaced, came off again.. help! - Peter.N.

It could be that the cam belt pully behind the crankshaft pully has moved, I hope that isn't the case as it can do considerable damage. If you can see the camshaft through the oil filler check that its is going round when you operate the starter.

The crankshaft bolt has to be very tight and secured with Locktite or similar.

ford focus 2005 1.6 TDCI - crankshaft pulley replaced, came off again.. help! - sezsesz

hi, thank you for responding :) the cam belt pulley is on its woodrough key and is all turning as should, the crabkshaft pulley turns when operating the starter and the crankshaft bolt was tightened with torque to correct setting.. however we now cannot get the car to even start :/

ford focus 2005 1.6 TDCI - crankshaft pulley replaced, came off again.. help! - elekie&a/c doctor

If I am correct,the crank sensor(rpm/engine speed sensor),picks up a signal from a magnetic strip attached to the back of the crank pulley.This may have been damaged when it become detached.Best to use a new bolt when replacing pulley.If the engine control system can be checked on the diagnostics,then you may find a code for no rpm signal.hth

Thank you :) am i right in thinking it was you who pointed me in the right direction with the crankshaft pulley in the first place?! if so many thanks for that.. this car does not seem to like me! will get a mobile diagnostic to come out and run it, do you have any idea if this magnetic strip can be replaced on its own? many thanks again :)

If I am correct,the crank sensor(rpm/engine speed sensor),picks up a signal from a magnetic strip attached to the back of the crank pulley.This may have been damaged when it become detached.Best to use a new bolt when replacing pulley.If the engine control system can be checked on the diagnostics,then you may find a code for no rpm signal.hth

we had a diagnostic test run on the car, but it didn't come up with any codes that could relate to the problem, 1 code came up which was relating to glow plug control unit, the garage that ran the test said that the fuel pressure seemed low... if the problem could be the magnetic strip, what do we need to do to check and fix it?! or any other idea of what the problem may be? the garage mentioned that the cam belt timing could be out? though i'm not sure of this as how would that have occured when it was running fine before, (when re-fitting the crankshaft pulley after it came off the engine did start but the bolt was undoing itself, after re checking and re-fitting it then wouldn't start) as we are at as loss i would be grateful for any further help as am planning to have the car looked at by the garage, costly and they do not seem to sure what is wrong with it either :/