Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - Ultrasonic

The real mpg section of this website is a great resource for all car buyers. I do though wish there was a way to quickly find the models that offer the highest absolute (not %) real mpg values. Is there a way of doing this that I am missing? If not adding some way to do so would be an excellent improvement to the site.

The current 'Top Five Best Performers' list is of rather limited use since it tells us how accurate manufactur data is, but when buying a car what you REALLY want to know is which car will offer the best fuel economy...

Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - unthrottled

I think a self-reported league table would descend into farce. Car owners can be a fairly competitive crowd and there's nothing to stop people entering silly figures to 'prove' that their brand is the best.

There's always someone that claims to 'average' 30+mpg from a V8 petrol disco while towing a caravan etc. You could use statistical techniques to remove outliers from the data group, but this has its own problems.

Happily, the laws of physics apply equally to all manufacturers and the convergence in mainstream car design means that within a group of similarly specced cars, the difference between best and worst mpg will be small.

Interesting point re. competitive fuel economy entries. The site is already open to that of course, but I can see what you mean that it would become more likely if the direct comparison were made. A one-off snap-shot now would be helpful and wouldn't cause this problem...

I'm not convinced by your last point though. If by 'similarly specced' you mean cars of the same size, weight and age with near identical engines then your point is true but not really helpful. If you're comparing cars with different engines or ages (which many buyers will be) then there are very real differences. This is especially true when consumers are often trying to compare their current cars with newer models.

Try it and see. Take a ubiquitous Ford focus and pick petrol engines of say 100hp. That covers an old n/a 1.6 Zetec engine and the Egoboost 3 cylinder with turbo and dual variable valve timing.

2011 model: 1.0 Egoboost: 40-41mpg

2004 model: 1.6 ~36mpg

Radically different engines-not a huge difference in economy.

The acid test of an engine's efficiency is its brake specific fuel consumption. Industrial engine manufacturers always quote this-and it hasn't changed much in decades. Passenger car manufacturers keep schtum about this. Go figure...

Same goes with aerodynamics. Sure, modern cars look slippery and space age compared to their 90s counterparts but their overall Coefficient of drag hasn't changed much.

Big fat multi-spoke alloy wheels and increased cooling requirements more than negate any gains made by sculpting the headlights and door mirrors. The suspension is another lossy area that you can't do much with.

Edited by unthrottled on 22/06/2013 at 19:09

That's really interesting, thanks for explaining.

I've never looked at comparing the real mpg for cars with the same power before as you have there. I must admit I'd thought that at the very least the use of turbos on modern petrol cars had improved economy, but from your example it seems not by much. Well, about 14% for your example I guess, which is not completely insigificant but is less than I'd expected, and certainly a lot less than car manufacturers would have us believe.

I've had a quick look to see if I could find a convincing counter example but must admit that I can't. Even looking at say a Polo BluMotion I'm struggling to find a similarly powered diesel powered car with a fuel economy much more than 15% lower.

BSFC measurements are 'lab' rather than on the road measurements just like the official fuel economy tests, so it's interesting from what you've said that the former relates well to real mpg whilst the latter appears increasingly not to do so.

Having said all that, I do still think it would be interesting to know what the cars with the highest real mpgs listed on this site are :-)

BSFC measurements are 'lab' rather than on the road measurements just like the official fuel economy tests

Not at all! You always benefit from better BSFC, irrespective of whether you're driving at 30 mph or 80.

re the 14% difference between the 1.6 and the 1.0:

14% is very significant. And the egoboost is a much more flexible engine. I purposely picked a grossly unfair comparison to indicate a best vs worst scenario. Comparing currently available engines from different manufacturers will yield much smaller differences.

It's important to compare engines of the same power. 100hp has the same capability to accelerate a vehicle irrespective of whether it comes from a rev happy Honda vtec or a low revving diesel. Gearboxes can multiply torque to any value you want. They can't multiply power. Ignore any nonsense about torque. A Black & Decker impact driver will make more torque than most car engines. An impact driver won't make your car do 0-60 in 7 seconds...

Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - Collos25

Why do people want to complicate something that is quite simple for the sake of doing something that most people will not understand.

Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - mss1tw

Why do people want to complicate something that is quite simple for the sake of doing something that most people will not understand.

Most people are idiots though, there is that.

Eh? Listing cars with the highest fuel economy would be MUCH easier for most people to understand than the current percentages of manufacturers quoted data. That was my initial point!

BSFC measurements are 'lab' rather than on the road measurements just like the official fuel economy tests

Not at all! You always benefit from better BSFC, irrespective of whether you're driving at 30 mph or 80.

Think you misunderstood me there, I wasn't discounting BSFC data! More noting that this is a lab test that IS very significant, whilst the official fuel economy tests appear not to be.

Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - NARU

There's always someone that claims to 'average' 30+mpg from a V8 petrol disco while towing a caravan etc. You could use statistical techniques to remove outliers from the data group, but this has its own problems.

I agree. Some people seem to quote the instantaneous consumption figure, or zero the MPG counter when they're up to speed, with the engine warm.

I saw someone on a caravan forum recently claiming an MPG figure (when towing) which was better than the manufacturers official figure for the car alone.

We've all seen fantastical figures that way, but long term averages are far more useful!

Its a little bit like when someone asks for advice on a car. Instead of listening to the requirement and advising, many forum members just pile with a recommendation of their favorite brand/model. And rubbish every alternative suggestion.

This phenomonon isn't just on here though - I remember reading research which said that most casual buyers of What Car? had just made their purchase, and were buying the magazine as some form of validation.

At its worst, this 'tribalism' descends into rubbishing other people's purchases. Often with scant evidence.

Edited by Marlot on 23/06/2013 at 10:29

Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - RT

Spot on, Marlot.

Getting accurate fuel consumption figures for one's own use is difficult enough - ignore trip computers, just not accurate enough, so just use brim-to-brim - but individual tanks vary according to mix of use and season.

Frankly, anything less than a whole year's average consumption is statistically unreliable and even then everyone's mix of urban and highway motoring is different, which makes comparison between cars of different types impossible.

Edited by RT on 23/06/2013 at 10:50

Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - gordonbennet

Too many variables.

We can make large differences to our fuel consumptions by driving technique and restraint, however for how long can we keep this up, i can't in my own car its got some poke and i use it, can't see the point in owning a fastish car otherwise.

Where we live, terrain and traffic make a difference too, hill climbing is expensive downhills are comparably free, if your route involves lots of hillclimbs from junctions then you will use lots of fuel, reverse the route where those junctions lead to downhill accelerations away then fuel usage will be miserly.

Fuel consumptions, even true accurate figures, arn't the be all and end all of car ownership costs, buying the new bluetech superdooper wonder machine that apparently does 69mpg @70mph may actually give fantastic real world mpg, and all of those savings and more wiped out in an instant when some monopoly money parts fail spectacularly just out of warranty.

In most cases the car you already own if its reliable is the most economical car and should be kept.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/06/2013 at 11:22

Lots of variables as you say, but the real mpg data is still the best I am aware of for prospective buyers to compare the performance of cars. I don't know more widely, but the average reported economy for my car is within 1 mpg of my own year round average (~55.5 mpg). The maximum reported is 1 mpg less than the best I've ever managed (64 mpg vs 65 mpg). So given the variables I think it is still a useful resource.

I agree that replacing a car purely to buy one that is more fuel efficient is in almost all cases likely to be a false economy though.

Highest real MPG (NOT as %) - TeeCee

There's always someone that claims to 'average' 30+mpg from a V8 petrol disco while towing a caravan etc.

As one who once owned a V8i Disco, that gave me an attack of the giggles. About the only positive thing that could be said about its fuel consumption was that adding a caravan to the back end made no discernable difference to it.

It was always terrible to the extent that if you're worrying about how much fuel you're using in one, you have bought the wrong car.