Ford Fiesta Mk5 - Ford Endura DE: intermittent starting trouble - fordfanindia

Hello Folks

There's an occasional starting trouble in my Ford Fiesta Mk5(Ford Ikon in India).

It has the 1.8 D ancient engine in naturally aspirated form, about 10 year and 110,000 km done.

Symptoms:

1) It starts in the first crank- as good as new. Or...

2) it doesn't start. Engine keeps on spinning, and the sound is like no diesel is getting into the engine.

Then in the 2nd next, or any random try, it starts instantly: there is no excessive smoke seen in the tailpipe, or no irregular idling of the engine.

3) There is a diesel leak in the 4th cylinder's injector- from the diesel return pipe. This might cause diesel to return to tank? Even if does so, continuous cranking must start the engine right? But this does not happen. Engine keeps on spinning without diesel.

4) The plunger in the fuel filter housing is tight enough.

5) I already changed the diesel pump start/stop solenoid, so that is ruled out.

Going to Ford for this means, a long list of 'replacements', which i don't want to do for this decade old car.

Kindly pour in your views. Thanks.

Ford Fiesta Mk5 - Ford Endura DE: intermittent starting trouble - Peter.N.

Sounds as though you have air getting into the system, the fact that you have no smoke on eventual strart up would indicate that no fuel is reacing the engine when it won't start. I would have suspected the fuel solonoid but as you have changed it that is unlikely, have you checked for voltage on the solonoid when it won't start?

The leaking return pipe could be allowing air to enter the system, if you put a section of clear pipe where the fuel enters the pump you can check for bubbles.

Thanks for the pointer!

But where must i install the clear pipe?

from fuel filter housing to the diesel pump,

or, from the diesel return tubes(of the injector) to the diesel pump?

Ford Fiesta Mk5 - Ford Endura DE: intermittent starting trouble - dieselnut

You have identified a leak in one of the spill pipes & that is the most likely reason air is getting into the fuel. The fuel transfer pump inside the injector pump is not self priming, so any air lock will stop it pumping, hence the primer pump on the fuel filter.

I would change ALL the spill pipes & if there is still a problem, install some clear tubing between the filter & injection pump looking for air.

Ford Fiesta Mk5 - Ford Endura DE: intermittent starting trouble - Peter D

Also carefully inspect the primer button to see if it is perished. They crack and let air in particularty in the nose of the car is uphill. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 03/07/2013 at 12:04

Update(although a bit late in updating, lol)

Filter housing head(primer pump) changed.

Rubber hose from filter to FIP(lucas) changed.

Now, starting has a peculiar issue.

1) It starts when it is in zero slope.

2) It keeps spinning without firing when it is parked downslope or upslope. In such conditions, if it is primed 1 or 2 times, engine fires instantly.

Kindly throw in some pointers.

EDIT: i have attended the diesel leak in the 4th injector. Everything is as good as new.

By the way, what is the black valve in the plastic hose that connects the filter outlet to the FIP inlet?

Edited by fordfanindia on 08/08/2013 at 05:05

A happy update: A friendly neighbour mechanic(he repairs trucks) asked me to mix 2T oil with diesel. I went ahead and emptied 2 x 40 ml packet of 2 stroke engine oil, and voila! engine starts without a hesitation whether parked uphill/downhill/overnight kept outside.

If lucas FIP needs 2T oil to suck diesel, what is the issue?

Meanwhile, i am continuing to use the 2T oil mix.

Thanks for reading!

Ford Fiesta Mk5 - Ford Endura DE: intermittent starting trouble - Peter.N.

It seems to need a more viscous fuel supply, this happens on Hdi engines when the HP diesel pump is worn, it could be wear in the injection pump but the old ones don't usually suffer from that problem - except some BMW pumps.

Ford Fiesta Mk5 - Ford Endura DE: intermittent starting trouble - dieselnut

Have a good look around the FIP for slightest seepage of fuel. Lucas pumps seem more prone to slight leaks around the shaft seals & if fuel can get out, air can get in.

Just to update you guys: i have sold this car a few months back and got a new Ford.

The culprit is the FIP overhauling guy; spurious parts used and that knackered the engine. Love this car still though. No-nonsense workhorse of an engine.

Have a good day, motor men!