Nissan Micra K12 - Rough idle choke issue? - deanyb
Hello,

Ill give you all a quick background before I explain my problem. I own a Micra K12, 2004 (04 plate), manual 1.4 SE. It has 63000 miles on the clock and has been regularly serviced and well looked after.

I have been experiencing a strange issue recently. As you will know, when the car is started from cold the blue temperature light comes on. This goes off after about 4-5 minutes of driving.

However, when stopping at traffic lights or a junction very soon after the blue light goes off, the engine does not idle very well. The RPM's drop down to about 500, then jump back to about 1000 before settling ( I assume that is some sort of anti stall feature?). Occasionally the engine will stall.

However, this is the only time the engine does this. Other than this it runs perfectly and never misses a beat. It starts well regardless of weather, never gets hot in traffic, the MPG's are good (about 50-52) etc.

In my mind, I would put this down as some sort of choke issue? It seems very weird that it only does that soon after the blue light goes off, and no other time. Therefore is it likely to be a temperature sensor problem? I understand that there are 2 temp sensors on the K12, one which controls the temperature light on the dash and the other which controls the engine itself?

I would really appreciate some advice on this issue, as I don't know where to go with it. I don't want to replace the temp sensor if I am barking up the wrong tree!

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Edited by deanyb on 16/05/2013 at 22:17

Nissan Micra K12 - Rough idle choke issue? - Cyd

Have a look at the throttle butterfly. If it's black as the ace of spades, remove the throttle body to the bench and use some carb cleaner (and rag and old toothbrush) to clean it. Don't swamp it with cleaner - apply to rag or brush first. Thoroughly dry with a hairdrier on low heat before replacing.

Nissan Micra K12 - Rough idle choke issue? - deanyb
Thanks for your response. I have had a look at the butterfly on the throttle body today, and it was very clean. There is a very fine coating of oil/grease, but nothing which should cause any problems.

Is there anything else you would suggest? I have read on the Internet about some re-soldering that solved a lot of poor idle/ stalling issues on the throttle body of the K11, and I was wondering if that is a possibility on the K12?

Thanks again,

Dean
Nissan Micra K12 - Rough idle choke issue? - Cyd
There is a very fine coating of oil/grease, but nothing which should cause any problem

Clean it. Even if it doesn't cure your particular problem it should run better anyway. Worth 20 minutes of your time surely? I keep the throttle bodies on my cars scrupilously clean at each annual service.

Nissan Micra K12 - Rough idle choke issue? - dazny

Hi. Did u sort this prob out as im having the same prob. Cheers