2008 Citroen C5 1.6HDi VTR+ - Depollution System Fault, Car Dead - David83

Good morning! I hope someone can help regarding the problem I had with my car on the way to work this morning. I was driving along, about 15 miles into my journey and, just as I was changing down a gear and decelerating to take a corner the engine stopped and the depollution system warning light illuminated. Luckily I was going slow enoung that I could stop before I hit the other side of the bend and the road was quiet.

The car is now parked up and will not start. When I turn the key the depolluton light remains illuminated and the engine turns but does not fire. However, when I press the 'check' button on my car, which should display the fault log, there are no faults present, nor does the car screm at me when you first move the ignition key.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm getting a friend with a diagnostic raeder to have a look later today. Is there anything obvious that I should check first? Before anyone asks, there is 3/4 of a tank of diesel in it!

Cheers, David

I have just had the code reader on teh car and it's coming up withj fault code 1586 (Ramp pressure sensor power supply, flow meter power supply and EGR valve reference signal power voltage supply too low).

Any ideas what's wrong? Thanks again, David

2008 Citroen C5 1.6HDi VTR+ - Depollution System Fault, Car Dead - craig-pd130

Please note I am not a diagnostics expert on any car, let alone Citroens, but I would suspect a chafed / broken wire or bad connection in the engine wiring loom.

Translating the Franglais from the diagnostic reader, they all indicate a failure in the 12V supply to the mass air flow meter, the manifold pressure sensor (or possibly fuel pressure sensor) and the EGR valve position sensor.

Have you looked under the engine cover at these various sensors to see if any connectors have become loose or disconnected, or if they have an obviously broken or kinked wire going into them?

May also be worth checking the earth connection between the engine and the car body to see if that is broken or corroded.

2008 Citroen C5 1.6HDi VTR+ - Depollution System Fault, Car Dead - ib33

Does it have a diesel particulate filter? These can cause problems when full / blocked.

Hope you get it sorted!

Hi, the car has a DPF, however as it's not used around town at all (we don't have any over here!) most of my driving is rural roads and I give it a run of 40 miles each week between home and evening class, so it gets nice and hot. Also, teh warning light and message for clogged DPF has not displayed.

I, too, am leaning towards a bad connection as they fault couldn't be cleared by the side of the road, and the car wouldn't start, but after 25 minutes on he recovery truck they could clear the fault and start the car. I suspect the bouncing has made the connection. Does anyone know where these sensors are in the engine bay? I'm afraid to say I don't have a clue and the garage aren't a main dealer (nearest one 150 miles away + ferry trip).

Thanks again for your replies, keep them coming!

2008 Citroen C5 1.6HDi VTR+ - Depollution System Fault, Car Dead - cowang

Hi, the car has a DPF, however as it's not used around town at all (we don't have any over here!) most of my driving is rural roads and I give it a run of 40 miles each week between home and evening class, so it gets nice and hot. Also, teh warning light and message for clogged DPF has not displayed.

I, too, am leaning towards a bad connection as they fault couldn't be cleared by the side of the road, and the car wouldn't start, but after 25 minutes on he recovery truck they could clear the fault and start the car. I suspect the bouncing has made the connection. Does anyone know where these sensors are in the engine bay? I'm afraid to say I don't have a clue and the garage aren't a main dealer (nearest one 150 miles away + ferry trip).

Thanks again for your replies, keep them coming!

Hi,

I know it's a while since you had this problem but was wondering what the outcome was as I have suffered the same problem this evening. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Glenn