Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - chrissyc
Hi,
I do a 180 mile round-trip 3-times per week from High Wycombe to Birmingham with virtually the whole distance driven on the M40 at 85mph.
This adds up to 30,000 miles of motorway driving per year.

I currently drive a '98 Mondeo 2.0 which has 140,000 miles on the clock and is very reliable but only delivers 31mpg. That's a lot of petrol to buy every year.

Any recommendations for the most fuel efficient car for my needs?

Also, any thoughts on what would be the lowest total cost (purchase, depreciation and fuel) for my needs?

Suggestions greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - craig-pd130

My 2003 Passat PD130 (6-speed manual box) used to give a genuine 50mpg at a steady 85mph cruise. This seemed to be a real 'sweet spot' for that engine in that bodyshell.

From what I've seen & heard elsewhere, the VW/Audi 1.9 PD motor from the early to mid 2000s can be relied on to give this sort of mpg in real-world cruising conditions.

I think you'd struggle to get more than a genuine 50mpg at an 85mph cruise.

Oddly, I found my Passat was not really any more economical at a 75mph cruise ... I would maybe get an extra 2-3mpg.

My Mondeo gets 31mpg at 85mph and around 36mpg at 70mph.
Thanks for the recommendation
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - colinh

The VW recommendation seems to be backed up by the comparison graph on this webpage:

www.mpgforspeed.com

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - 659FBE

I can confirm Craig's observations for the 1.9 PD VAG diesel engine in 130 BHP guise.

My Skoda Superb will deliver very much the same figures and cruises comfortably, quietly and with good straight line stability (due to an over nose-heavy design). This engine seems to have a "sweet spot" when cruising at 2400 engine rpm, although lower speeds will give slightly better economy still.

The 5 speed transmission gives 33mph/1000 erpm in top and the 6 speed 35 mph. At the "sweet spot" this equates to 79 and 84mph respectively.

There is therefore no significant advantage in using the 6 speed box, which is proving to be very much less reliable than the 5 speed unit due to pinion bearing failure.

Avoid the 2.0 PD engine in this vehicle at all costs as oil pump drive failure is almost guaranteed. Mk1 Superbs are worth peanuts now, but most have been cabbed to death.

I'm keeping mine.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - injection doc
My passat sport 140 was just brill on motorways ! Used to return 58 mpg at steady 70.
Best car ever for motorway cruising just had an ugly appearance but otherwise couldn't fault.

@659 - my Passat 'Sport' must've had a shorter final drive ratio, as 85mph equated to 2,650rpm, i.e. around 32mph / 1000rpm on the factory-fit wheels & Conti tyres.

5th gear gave around 27mph / 1000 and 4th gave around 22mph / 1000. With these ratios the car was surprisingly effective on A-roads as the trademark PD instant grunt and a (relatively) short 4th gear meant quick, safe overtakes without needing to stir the 'box.

Much as I love my current Volvo V60 D3, I wish its gear ratios were about 10% shorter in 4th, 5th and 6th: this would give even better in-gear wallop as the motor has a wider effective rpm range than the VAG PD..

Edited by craig-pd130 on 04/05/2013 at 14:19

Can anyone beat 50mpg at a steady 85mph???
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - unthrottled

At these sorts of cruising speeds the accuracy of the speedometer becomes important. Your fuel consumption is increasing by the square of your speed. So the difference between 80 and 85mph is not 6%, but more like 13%.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Cluedo

I wonder how many police traffic officers will now be on the look out for a 98 Mondeo doing 85 on the M40 ?

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Collos25

I think he has signed his own death warrant but its only 15mph over the limit.so probably does not count in the UK.

I've done the return trip 3 times per week for the last 5 years at 85mph and never been stopped.
On average, I think I get overtaken more times than I overtake other cars.

I suspect that when the conditions are good and the road flowing well, the police only get concerned by speeds over 95mph
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Engineer Andy
I've done the return trip 3 times per week for the last 5 years at 85mph and never been stopped. On average, I think I get overtaken more times than I overtake other cars. I suspect that when the conditions are good and the road flowing well, the police only get concerned by speeds over 95mph

You're probably lucky to not have driven on roads (most motorways have them - maybe you travel on dual-carriageway A roads) with 70mph speed cameras or Police speed traps - they are supposed to be set at a max. of the speed limit +10% (some force set theirs at the limit +5%), so would catch any car doing over 77mph.

I'm sure you're aware of this but, just watch out if you're travelling around London (especially the M25 and surrounding motorways) as they're full of such speed traps/cameras and often have variable speed limits (annoying if it says "50" on a clear road) backed up by gantry cameras that change their settings accordingly.

I know of a colleague who lost his licence in one day driving to and from a meeting on such roads by doing the speeds you said. Better all-around just to plan ahead better and leave earlier - no chance in losing your licence, less stressful and safer driving experience and less fuel used (more money in your back pocket). Boring, but still a reasonable point, I think.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Ian_SW

At higher speeds the aerodynamics become by far the most critical factor - long, low and narrow is best. Something with fairly skinny tyres helps too.

At this sort of speed, I've managed to get about 55mpg out of a Jetta 2.0 TDI CR 140 (about 6mpg better than a Golf with the same engine so must be aerodynamics in that case!) and almost 60mpg out of a Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI CR 105. These were all on the same 200 mile motorway trip with the cruise control set at 130kph which is about 83mph I think.

The French road surface is a bit lower drag than the UK motorway surfaces so may have helped my figures slightly, but I don't think it would make that much difference.

60 mpg at 80+mph would be considerably better than any published data I've ever seen for a car.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Ed V

I think 85 mph in a 70 limit is downright dangerous, if only because of the possible closing speed on those obeying the legal limit. I don't accept that we can choose which laws we keep.

Sorry if this sounds boring and pedantic to some.

I think 85 mph in a 70 limit is downright dangerous, if only because of the possible closing speed on those obeying the legal limit. I don't accept that we can choose which laws we keep.

The speed differential between a car obeying the speed limit and a lorry obeying its speed limit is almost exactly the same as a car at 70 and a car at 85.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - concrete
Can anyone beat 50mpg at a steady 85mph???

Hello chrissyc, I average 50mpg from my PD130 1.9Tdi in a Skoda Superb. My motoring is 90% motorway and the rest in normal traffic. At a steady 2500rpm I get about 52 to 54mpg depending on conditions, sometimes higher. These engines do have a real sweet spot between 2 and 3K revs. If you can find one that has been looked after and well serviced and maintained do not be afraid of high mileage. I have currently 165K on mine and my service guy tells me he has these engines on starship mileages. Way to go. Good luck. Concrete

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Avant

"Any recommendations for the most fuel efficient car for my needs?"

If fuel efficiency is a priority, try driving at 75 mph and see how much fuel you save. I doubt if the journey will take you very much longer unless you drive late at night or very early in the morning.

You probably need a diesel, but that depends on your budget. I honestly wouldn't recommend buying a used high-mileage diesel as on modern diesels there are too many expensive things to go wrong.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - colinh

The sat-nav shows a difference of 12 mins between 70mph and 85mph - centre HW to centre Brum

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Ordovices

My car achieves better mpg at 75 than 65, it also improves on that if I go up to 85. I've plotted a graph of speed against fuel consumption, and if i cruise at 135 the car won't actually use any fuel, anything above that and it will be making fuel.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - belucky22

I find the bulk of this thread shocking. Whatever the car or conditions people are not capable of driving safely at these speeds. The ex racing car champion Damion Hill puts the top limit at 55 mph for most drivers. Although the reality is that this can be upped relatively safely the current speed limits should never be exceeded. I have thought for a long time that unmarked police cars would be invaluable in trying to make our roads safer. These posts confirms my view. Being caught and mpg should be least of your concerns - what about people's safety ?

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - mss1tw

I find the bulk of this thread shocking. Whatever the car or conditions people are not capable of driving safely at these speeds. The ex racing car champion Damion Hill puts the top limit at 55 mph for most drivers. Although the reality is that this can be upped relatively safely the current speed limits should never be exceeded. I have thought for a long time that unmarked police cars would be invaluable in trying to make our roads safer. These posts confirms my view. Being caught and mpg should be least of your concerns - what about people's safety ?

Someone should tell the Germans. Maybe Michael Schumacher can do a public broadcast.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - alastairq

aaah, yes..the Germans.....I wondered when they were going to be brought into the comparative equation?

Well, even they are now looking at speed limits on motorways.....plus, it appears as a whole, German drivers have a wholly different attitude towards drivng to their UK counterparts.

I wonder why the French have never followed suit?

The main reason I see for the aquiescence towards exceeding the posted speed limit stems from a lack of resources for enforcement.

There are barely sufficent resources for a 'presence', let alone anything else.

In that respect, the use of technology ['cameras,etc'] is a godsend, simply because they are a 'catch-all'..

However, despite what so-called expert drivers think, motorways are in fact the safest, and easiest of roads to drive on.

Mainly because of the amount of room, and the lack of conflicting traffic.

For a typical motorist, it is likely that 70mph is about the maximum that a human being can cope with, should a mishap occur.

The feeling of confidence, competence and 'being able to cope' above those speeds is really an illusion, which, happily, rarely gets put to the test.

We forget that, although racing drivers appear to cope with higher speeds, their environment is very strictly controlled.

Far more so than that on a motorway.

{I've often thought that formula one, to find the true measure of their drivers, should be run with half the grid going round one way, and half going round the other way]

Since none of us on here want to see restrictive use of the motorway highways..because it would affect every one of us..probably adversely....I think the flagrant flouting of the Law by some will be here to stay.....until, that is, the collision rate startts to climb?

Edited by alastairq on 05/05/2013 at 17:43

For a typical motorist, it is likely that 70mph is about the maximum that a human being can cope with, should a mishap occur.

I thought speed limits were more to do with the stopping distances of a 1950's family car than anything to do with the drivers as such.

I thought speed limits were more to do with the stopping distances of a 1950's family car than anything to do with the drivers as such.

What you have to remember is that, whilst cars have much better brakes than those of 40-50 years ago, the roads (especially the dual carriageways and motorways) are much more congested than back then, with cars and lorries regularly running at high speed with only a few car lengths (if that) between each. Even an F1 driver and car wouldn't be able to react and stop/get out of the way in time if they had another two lanes of traffic and a central reservation (now made worse if they have no hard shoulder).

The pace of life (particularly within the workplace) is so frenetic these days that most people do not (or cannot) plan their journeys leave for meetings, visits, etc in good time so they don't have to speed. Being streesed out (because you're running late) doesn't help you when driving on very busy roads (especially with the large number of idiots on them nowadays) and will only make the journey and possibly the visit/meeting itself (the point of your journey) more difficult due to not arriving in a good state of mind. It might pee my managers off sometimes, but I'd rather take it easy, leave a bit earlier and get to my destination ready to do a good job. Better than being cold in a pine box, or causing someone else to be.

The pace of life (particularly within the workplace) is so frenetic these days that most people do not (or cannot) plan their journeys leave for meetings, visits, etc

No. That's what we like to believe and what we tell other people. Of course we really drive at 85 because driving at 70 is stultifying and we stop concentrating, fall asleep and cause a pile-up which really doesn't do our NCD any favours at all.

There's really no downside to driving briskly on motoways-except that persistent wall of air that won't go away.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - ripjean

Apparently a red arrows pilot once said that he felt far more confident flying than he did on the motorway as while flying he was in formation with trained colleagues but on a motorway he was in formation with a thousand strangers whose next move he could not anticipate.

go by train?

If one finds 70mph 'stultifying'...then one really needs to suffer a severe fright or two?

If one finds 70mph 'stultifying'...then one really needs to suffer a severe fright or two?

People that mindlessly take comfort in round numbers are perhaps more in need of a fright. On a busy motorway, you'll be limited to the speed of all the other traffic. If all the other traffic is doing 80, and you do 60 because it 'feels' safe, you're creating the hazardous speed differential. On a lightly occupied motorway, it really doesn't matter, does it?

There is nothing 'mindless'about keeping to the speed limit. It is there for a reason. Are you suggesting that if enough people did it you should drive on the right hand side of the road ? It is the same logic. Also anyone doing 60 will probably be in lane 1, unless overtaking slower traffic. I suggest you need to apply your mind more to safety on the roads rather than defending the mindless speeding of people who have an inflated opinion of their driving capabilities.

Are you suggesting that if enough people did it you should drive on the right hand side of the road ?

On country roads I spend a lot of time on the right hand side of the road to avoid poorly repaired road surfaces and to afford a better view of the road ahead. Much safer than slavishly hugging the left kerb

Also anyone doing 60 will probably be in lane 1, unless overtaking slower traffic.

Since al the lorries are doing 50-56mph, that'll most of the time on weekdays. In which case, there won't be an opportunity for drivers to get to 80+ so nothing to worry about.

There is nothing 'mindless' about keeping to the speed limit. It is there for a reason.

The motorway speed limit was an arbitrary figure picked in a knee jerk reaction to some very high speed driving in the sixties. It was picked at a time when drum brakers and cross-ply tyres were the norm and hasn't been updated to take into account the improved handling and braking capability of vehicles.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - daveyK_UK

You clearly have the luxury of NOT having to drive at rush hour.

If I can get over 50mph on the M6 or M1 its a luxury!

Edited by alastairq on 06/05/2013 at 13:46

There is nothing 'mindless'about keeping to the speed limit. It is there for a reason. Are you suggesting that if enough people did it you should drive on the right hand side of the road ? It is the same logic. Also anyone doing 60 will probably be in lane 1, unless overtaking slower traffic. I suggest you need to apply your mind more to safety on the roads rather than defending the mindless speeding of people who have an inflated opinion of their driving capabilities.

Safety is an attitude and competancy, not a number.

Mindlessly obeying a 70mph speed limit (Normally an INDICATED 75mph) is no more or less safe than any other speed if you aren't concentrating.

I'm not aware I've put anything different. Obviously, if you drive below 70 while texting you are not driving safely - pretty obvious. If you are keeping to the speed limit but not concentrating then you are not safe. However, if you are foolishly driving in excess of the speed limit then you are not safe, concentrating or not. Putting one fact does not make an added assertion true. As I put, some people have an inflated opinion of their driving capabilities. The cars have improved way beyond any improvement in driver competence. There is carnage on the roads which would cause horror and a call for action in any other situation.

The cars have improved way beyond any improvement in driver competence.

This is true. But both have improved since the motorway speed limit was introduced in the mid sixties.

There is carnage on the roads which would cause horror

There is, but there is less of it on motorways than on other roads. Motorways have the highest speed limits but the lowest rate of accidents of all roads.

If you are keeping to the speed limit but not concentrating then you are not safe.

Do you drive at 60 on twisty roads just because that is the posted limit? Do you drive at the same speed in winter as you do in summer? Driving to a number is a band-aid for poor drivers. Just like changing gear at 2500 RPM because the DSA tells them to!

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - bazza

I thought this was a Motoring forum, not a Health & Safety forum - I get enough of that at work! I bet most of us have driven at the OPs speed from time to time, let's be honest! I think the problem is we are conditioned by the constant mantra that "Safety is the number 1 priority!, drilled into us by public authorities, the police etc, wheras in reality it's nonsense, we live life and take the risks that suit us to achieve our aims. Otherwise we'd never fly,drive, climb ladders, use power tools, partake in dangerous sports etc. Benefit versus risk is such a a part of daily life we actually forget we do it!

Going back to the OP, i seem to recall that aerodynamic drag increases to the square of velocity, hence about 60 mph is considered a good compromise for mpg. As 659 says, the OP needs a long legged diesel - the 1.9 PD used to be considered the most efficient IC engine ever made in mass production.

It is about motoring - safe driving. At no point have I ever, nor would, advocate always driving at what is the limit. That is what it is, a safety limit. Yes, there are fewer accidents on motorways; that is not the point. It is the prevention of collisions that is the point. If people wish to take personal risks that don't affect others that is their choice. Sadly it is others who often pay the cost of irresponsible driving. I do wonder if a post which agrees with breaking the law should be allowed. The regrettable truth is that people have not been conditoned by the safety mantra.

The motorway speed limit was an arbitrary figure picked in a knee jerk reaction to some very high speed driving in the sixties. It was picked at a time when drum brakers and cross-ply tyres were the norm and hasn't been updated to take into account the improved handling and braking capability of vehicles.

Not in the least bit arbitrary!

And at the time, that limit was actually above the maximum speed most run-of-the-mill family cars could achieve.

It was considerd to be the maximum speed an average [untrained?] human being could travel at, and respond to a sudden change of conditions adequately.

Regardless of whether they were in a car or not.

Now..you yourself may feel perfectly 'in charge' when driving at 85 mph, able to cope with any sudden changes on the road around you.

But...how will you feel when you reach the age of 85? And still want to use your car? And make use of the motorway system?

How does an 18-year-old feel about 85MPH? A week after they have passed their test......and no longer have a skilled instructor alongside them to offer timely advice?

Or, would you suggest such extremes of driver ability be banned from the motorways?

Perhaps all motorway users should be subjected to a further drivng test, to enable use of these so-called high-speed roads?

Would you yourself pass? [Any test, for that matter?}

The motorway system was never intended for high-speed travel.

It is intended to allow any vehicle able to use a motorway, to get between two points quickly, with little interference or interruption.

The fact that such an environment enables higher speeds to be attained is but a by-product.

The lowest [legal] speed limti for any category of vehicle using the motorway is 40mph....that, for an LGV weighing in excess of 46 tonnes, operating under STGO cat 2.

There is no requirement for flashy lights, outriders, or any such paraphenalia....so, to you it would look like any other LGV.

If there is an issue regarding a slower vehicle..then the issue is caused not by that slower vehicle, but by the inability of all the other [incomeptent, as it may turn out?] drivers to cope with that slower individual.

Which in turn begs the question....are the majority of drivers hurtling along at 85mph actually competent to do so?

Or, do they just think they are...and survive purely because of the prevailng circumstances?

The greatest danger on a motorway presents itself not with slower vehicles [and the inability of others to cope with them.....] but from the higher speed 'bunching' of vehicles.

This was an issue identified by Police way back in the early 1960's, when the 70 limit was introduced.

It still remains today...however, the speeds of these bunches of vehicles have steadily risen.

At such speeds, everybody literally hopes everybody else will 'play the game'?

Nobody considers...''what if.....?'

The motorways at certain times are nought but high speed conveyor belts...with everybody in their own personal travel capsule.

An excellent well thought out post which makes a valuable contribution. Perhaps we could have those who consider themselves capable of driving above limits obliged to go in to a motoring simulator and be given a test of how they would react at the speeds they claim to be safe driving at. Then, when they fail, be required to surrender their license until they realise the possible consequences. Incidentally I would expect everybody to be willing/expected to have their driving skills checked. If anybody is not able to drive safely they should not be on the road.

Not in the least bit arbitrary!

Speed limits are arbitrary. They do not imply that the posted limit is a 'safe' speed or even realistically attainable. Your confidence in these numbers really is rather concerning.

But...how will you feel when you reach the age of 85? And still want to use your car? And make use of the motorway system?

How does an 18-year-old feel about 85MPH? A week after they have passed their test......and no longer have a skilled instructor alongside them to offer timely advice?

This is lowest common denominator policy. The fact that some drivers, wisely aware of their vulnerabilities, feel unable to travel past 70mph, does not mean that no-one should.

The lowest [legal] speed limti for any category of vehicle using the motorway is 40mph....that, for an LGV weighing in excess of 46 tonnes, operating under STGO cat 2.

This raises a valid point. Only in the UK would 50 tonnes be considered "exceptional". The low speed for HGVs is another anachronism that needs revisiting. Modern tractor units could easily sustain 65mph+ while pulling 50 tonnes, and with better braking, they can safely stop. A minimum non-congested speed limit of 55mph would make a lot of sense.

The greatest danger on a motorway presents itself not with slower vehicles [and the inability of others to cope with them.....] but from the higher speed 'bunching' of vehicles.

No-one disputes the point that congestion is exacerbated by speeding. You're setting up a straw man argument, then patting yourself on the back for demolishing it.

It still remains today...however, the speeds of these bunches of vehicles have steadily risen.

Actual motorway speeds reached a plateau years ago. It's only your perception that speeds have continued to rise.

My argument is that on a lightly occupied motorway, It makes little difference if a proportion of the users on that stretch of road elect to travel at a higher speed.

Everyone knows that speed limits are not recommend as safe driving speeds. They are the maximum speed at which you are permitted to drive, not that you should drive at it - you must not exceed it. I suppose on a lightly occupied motorway there will never be a blow out or mechanical failure. I repeat what I've said previously. Provided they only endanger themselves people should be able to do whatever they want to. However, that is not the law. It is the putting of others at risk that concerns me. They are not above legal and moral obligations.

##Speed limits are arbitrary. They do not imply that the posted limit is a 'safe' speed or even realistically attainable. Your confidence in these numbers really is rather concerning.##

On the contrary...far from being arbitrary, the speed limit is deemed as the maximum speed considered acceptable, given the permanent conditions. Nothing random or arbitrary about it at all. At no point have I intimated any sort of confidence whatsoever.

##This is lowest common denominator policy. The fact that some drivers, wisely aware of their vulnerabilities, feel unable to travel past 70mph, does not mean that no-one should.##

If a road is to be a 'public highway', then consideration must be given to all the varying degrees of skill and awareness of users. The problem that lies with allowing drivers to exercise their own judgement is.....more often than not they cannot!

But either are not prepared to accept that fact...or chose to disregard it.

The issue isn't even about whether a driver feels confident about driving faster....but..whether all the other road users can cope with that driver travelling faster?

PArt of everybody's driver skill isn't just about 'being able to cope with the actions of others [comfortably, without drama]...but to drive in such a manner, that others can cope withus?

As soon as we come across someone who cannot cope with what we are doing..then the risk of a serious mishap is magnified considerably.

As it is, most traffic on a motorway arrives without mishap more by chance, than by any deliberate act on the part of drivers to reduce risk levels to an acceptable level for all.

##This raises a valid point. Only in the UK would 50 tonnes be considered "exceptional". The low speed for HGVs is another anachronism that needs revisiting. Modern tractor units could easily sustain 65mph+ while pulling 50 tonnes, and with better braking, they can safely stop. A minimum non-congested speed limit of 55mph would make a lot of sense.##

FAr from being a UK-only anachronism, this is a Europe-wide situation. The weights quoted are at the low end of a broad spectrum. Google STGO for more details?

There is considerable refence to 'modern' vehicles [especially LGV's]. This suggests a policy of restricting all LGV's to a maximum age of, say, 3 years? I doubt that would be seen as 'workable'?

On the Public Highway, there are no such age restrictions placed upon vehicles.

Nor should there be...for that would represent a realrestriction of freedom.

Minimum speed limits pander to only a certain segment of the driving population..ie, those in a hurry...and are pretty unenforceable on motorways, especially.

And as such also represent a limitation of freedom.

##No-one disputes the point that congestion is exacerbated by speeding. You're setting up a straw man argument, then patting yourself on the back for demolishing it. ##

Actually, you have identified another issue entirely. The point I make is witnessed every time one goes out onto a motorway.....the presence of a number of vehicles, perhaps spread across two or three lanes, travelling in very close proximity to one another, behind, and alongside, for considerable lengths of time.....all travelling at very simlar speeds,all moving at very high speeds.What leads most to a sense of security is the relativespeed of these vehicles seem to vary quite slowly.

It is an illusion only shattered when one relates the speed of the group to the real world.

##Actual motorway speeds reached a plateau years ago. It's only your perception that speeds have continued to rise.##

Plateaued it may have done....but it is an inlcined 'plateau for all that...and I do go back to the 1960's! My perceptions are irrelevant...and don't form any part of my professional outlook.

##My argument is that on a lightly occupied motorway, It makes little difference if a proportion of the users on that stretch of road elect to travel at a higher speed.##

It may do to other road users? There is an air of assumption involved? And lightly-occupied motorways seem to be somewhat like hen's teeth these days?

Edited by alastairq on 06/05/2013 at 16:27

FAr from being a UK-only anachronism, this is a Europe-wide situation. The weights quoted are at the low end of a broad spectrum. Google STGO for more details?

Sweden, Finland, and the Netherlands pushed for (and were granted) an exemption to the 44 tonne maximum mass and permit up to 60 tonnes without STGO restrictions.

There is considerable refence to 'modern' vehicles [especially LGV's]. This suggests a policy of restricting all LGV's to a maximum age of, say, 3 years? I doubt that would be seen as 'workable'?

! The STGO tractor units are often much older than the regular fleet of tractor units because they have relatively low annual mileages. When I say 'modern', I mean having an engine with more than about 250 horsepower and, more importantly, effective braking systems.

Tractor units without compression brakes or Eddy Current Brakes should be plated to a lower maximum mass if the operators do not wish to retrofit these devices. There's no excuse for trundling along at 40mph any more.

PArt of everybody's driver skill isn't just about 'being able to cope with the actions of others [comfortably, without drama]...but to drive in such a manner, that others can cope withus?

As soon as we come across someone who cannot cope with what we are doing..then the risk of a serious mishap is magnified considerably.

I completely agree. But why would any competent driver feel unable to cope with being overtaken on a multilane highway?! If drivers can't cope with a reasonable speed differential on a motorway then they haven't got a cat in hell's chance of safely negotiating roundabouts or junctions. At this point it is time to suurender the licence to the DVLA and take out a contract with a local taxi firm.

We don't let the fastest 5% of drivers set the standard. The same applies with the slowest 5%.

Good lord, is this still going on?

As a motorcyclist of 30+ years experience, I have one rule which guides my riding and driving at all times: that EVERY other road user (including pedestrians) I encounter on the road is out to kill me, either through ignorance, incompetence or intent.

With this in mind, a lot of speed limits make complete sense. A 30mph limit on a stretch of road outside a school during the weeks when school is in, is too high.

Much more than 50 on a winding, 60-limit rural A-road with blind bends, summits and side-roads / entrances to field etc is often asking for trouble, especially during harvest season.

But equally, the M40 after 7pm most evenings? All 3 lanes mostly empty? I'll cruise at 80 / 85 as there's plenty of time and space to allow for the movements of other traffic. It's all about the prevailing conditions and traffic levels. Going much faster is asking to get nicked by an unmarked police car.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Collos25

Doing 85 I would be worried about unmarked police cars and motorbikes.

Tractor units without compression brakes or Eddy Current Brakes should be plated to a lower maximum mass if the operators do not wish to retrofit these devices. There's no excuse for trundling along at 40mph any more.

Well..yes there is....if only from the viewpoint that despite all the technologies available, the limitation is the driver and their ability.

As you say, it isn't the top 5%, or the bottom 5%, but the huge percentage in between, with their differeing levels of awareness and skill.

No more obvious than with LGV drirvers.

Edited by alastairq on 06/05/2013 at 22:21

Well..yes there is....if only from the viewpoint that despite all the technologies available, the limitation is the driver and their ability.

I'm sure that the average lorry driver's reaction times can cope with speeds greater than 40 odd mph! Their speed limits are influenced more by the efficacy of their braking systems.

In the US semi tractor trailers are equipped with compression brakes which don't lock up or overheat. As such, they run at normal highway speeds. This greatly ameliorates the speed differential problem.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Alf_Hooker

Ignoring all the waffle about whether its OK to drive at this speed or not . . . . .

The obvious choice would be a 2005 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI

These can give 50+ MPG in rela worls motorway conditions

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Ed V

I think for once unthrottled has bitten off more than he can chew. Knowledge of cars, and even 'motoring' does not make an expert law maker. He, and maybe many others here, are relatively expert drivers.

In just a few minutes on an M road, we can see huge numbers of distracted drivers in poorly maintained cars, tense and obviously late for meetings, phoning, eating, drinking, turning around flirting, head banging to music, showing off to their 'birds' etc etc.

This last week-end provided many examples too of accidents which probably entirely ruined days out to Bank Holiday events, visiting Granny and so on. The M-road system imposes a responsibility on motorists not to crash (does that sound stupid?). But the great British public have demonstrated how important rules are for the greater good. One overturned car on the A3 on Friday (sunny, dry, clear, quiet at 7.00 a.m.) caused me and thousands of others to miss important matters. How do you overturn a car in such conditions on a straight dual carriageway? The car wasn't going 50 mph I'll bet. I hope the driver lived.

The London Olympic venues were the first ever to have been built in which not one person was killed during construction. The much deridied health and safety culture may be annoying (to me too!), but someone probably drove to see friends on a motorway yesterday who would have been dead without it.

But the great British public have demonstrated how important rules are for the greater good. One overturned car on the A3 on Friday (sunny, dry, clear, quiet at 7.00 a.m.) caused me and thousands of others to miss important matters.

Yes. Because general laws based upon singular events have such a good track record...

Councils wishing to reduce a stretch of road designated National Speed limit are supposed to apply the median rule ie 50% of traffic currently travel below the intended new limit. In this way speed limits are supposed to be largely self-enforcing amongst 'average' drivers.

Using outliers to set thresholds is, frankly, childish.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - concrete

Good lord, is this still going on?

As a motorcyclist of 30+ years experience, I have one rule which guides my riding and driving at all times: that EVERY other road user (including pedestrians) I encounter on the road is out to kill me, either through ignorance, incompetence or intent.

With this in mind, a lot of speed limits make complete sense. A 30mph limit on a stretch of road outside a school during the weeks when school is in, is too high.

Much more than 50 on a winding, 60-limit rural A-road with blind bends, summits and side-roads / entrances to field etc is often asking for trouble, especially during harvest season.

But equally, the M40 after 7pm most evenings? All 3 lanes mostly empty? I'll cruise at 80 / 85 as there's plenty of time and space to allow for the movements of other traffic. It's all about the prevailing conditions and traffic levels. Going much faster is asking to get nicked by an unmarked police car.

Quite right craig, the sensible thing to do is drive to the conditions. I also agree with most of the comments by unthrottled. The posters who are advocating a blind obedience policy are wishing for Utopia. The speed limits are set as a guidance which has now become a money making industry sideline to safety enforcement. A wise man once said "rules are for the blind obedience of fools and for the guidance of wise men". As with most things in life, judgement is all. If every driver exercised his judgement and common sense while driving there may be more or less 'speeding' but probably for fewer 'accidents'. Cheers all. Concrete

"The speed limits are set as a guidance"

A bit like the Pirate code? Not so much rules as guidelines?

The words "limit" and "set" give a clue as to their purpose.

"rules are for the blind obedience of fools and for the guidance of wise men".

Attributed to Douglas Bader, before he disobeyed the rules on low flying aerobatics, crashed and had both legs amputated ending a promising rugby career.
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Pebble

The ex racing car champion Damion Hill puts the top limit at 55 mph for most drivers.

What have I been telling all of you for ages? "Drive 55, stay alive." President Carter sez so.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - markweatherill

Someone once observed that everyone who drives slower than us is an idiot, and everyone who drives faster than us is a maniac.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - pauljoecoe

The majority of european motorways have a 81mph speed limit.

Motorways are the safest roads in the UK. Even 85mpg is safer than doing 50 on a single carridgeway road. why? All the cars are going in the same direction. There are far less roadside objects, people, cyclists etc etc to hit. On a 60 mph single carridge way you may be driving legally but you have a 120 mph combined speed if you coolide with as car coming the otherway.

70 mph motorway speeds are outdated,

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - mike hannon
Well, my car has adaptive cruise control, collision damage mitigation, lane keep assist, frontal radar and lots of other gizmos which mean I can drive how I like, at the speed I choose and to hell with the rest of you. Doesn't it?
And, to answer the OP, it's a Honda with a 2.2 diesel engine that will show 50mpg at an indicated 80mph.
Now, back to the real world. The most pleasant driving experience I know is on the ordinary roads of Switzerland, where the speed limit is 80kph or 50mph. No hurry, no hassle and all the better because drivers in Switzerland do what they are told.
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - DeejayP999

I think that the 70 limit is about right for most drivers.

Brakes and tyres may have improved massively since the limit was set but reaction times haven't.

And, of course, the roads are considerably more congested these days.

What an excellent post - yes, of course, some will say it's because I agree with it. It gets to one of the real issues which is the selfishness so widespread in our society. People cannot react quickly enough at the speeds some drive at. The higher the speed the greater the impact. Do we have to be rushing everywhere so frentically that safety and the enjoyment of the drive don't count ? I've often thought when abroad how much more pleasant driving appears. Many cars are great improvements but anything is only as good as its weakest linking. Could you say which Honda - sounds a great car.

Accord I-dtek automatic with ADAS - which I think stands for Automated Driver Assistance System. The handbook is more than 600 pages and I'm working my way through it...

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - madf

Accord I-dtek automatic with ADAS - which I think stands for Automated Driver Assistance System. The handbook is more than 600 pages and I'm working my way through it...

Given that most people never read more than 20 pages of any manual.. I suspect it's a bit too complex...

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - thunderbird

Both mine (15 miles) and the wifes (19 miles) commutes use motorways, dual carriageways, good A roads and a bit in town. If we could drive at 85 instead of the usual 70 on the motorway bit (too busy normally - you have to go with the flow of traffic) we would save about 2 1/2 minutes on our trips, is it worth it for the miniscule time saving, of course not.

When we go on longer trips and traffic conditions allow we set the cruise to 70 mph on the sat nav and sit back. Loads of cars will drive past like their a***s are on fire yet since the drivers are incapable of keeping up a steady speed we will catch up and pass some a few miles later.

On Monday a muppet on the M1 screamed up behind us swerved to overtake us then dropped back, caught us up again and then I spotted he was on the phone. Should be banned.

Rather than driving at 85 mph why not set off a few minutes earlier. You will save loads on fuel and not be on another forum moaning that you cannot get anywhere near the official combined figure.

Both mine (15 miles) and the wifes (19 miles) commutes use motorways, dual carriageways, good A roads and a bit in town. If we could drive at 85 instead of the usual 70 on the motorway bit (too busy normally - you have to go with the flow of traffic) we would save about 2 1/2 minutes on our trips, is it worth it for the miniscule time saving, of course not.

When we go on longer trips and traffic conditions allow we set the cruise to 70 mph on the sat nav and sit back. Loads of cars will drive past like their a***s are on fire yet since the drivers are incapable of keeping up a steady speed we will catch up and pass some a few miles later.

On Monday a muppet on the M1 screamed up behind us swerved to overtake us then dropped back, caught us up again and then I spotted he was on the phone. Should be banned.

Rather than driving at 85 mph why not set off a few minutes earlier. You will save loads on fuel and not be on another forum moaning that you cannot get anywhere near the official combined figure.

Nice to see some fellow posters on the same wavelength, although from previous experience those with the opposing view just disregard everyone else (I think some actually like baiting and arguing just to p*** other off, which won't keep people on the forum), thinking they have the right to do as they please on the roads as long as they think they can "get away with it" due to their "inate driving skills". What they conveniently forget that (whether such people are in fact very skilled drivers [anyone can do near the ton in a straight line] is neither here nor there) its the other road users they should be concerned about, who may not be as skilled.

Taking their argument to extremes, you may as well allow F1/rally/touring car drivers to take their hypercars up the M1 at 190+ because they are good enough to stay in control. Pity them (and those here advocating doing 85+ on motorways) when the less experienced young driver or suchlike pulls out into their lane doing a lot less than they are - no time to get out of the way = major pile up and deaths.

Thinking they have the right to do as they please on the roads as long as they think they can "get away with it" due to their "inate driving skills"

Was that comment directed towards me? if so, could you highlight the paragraph where I boasted about my "inate driving skills"?

You've built up a charicature of an aggressive driver which is completely irrelevant to the discussion. The irony is that anyone who gets upset about being overtaken by an "idiot" is displaying the very same aggresion to which they object!

You may choose to drive like a Guardian Reader on its way to a fairtrade convention. I find that style of driving selfish and objectionable, but I don't resort to straw man arguments to bolster my stance.

You may choose to drive like a Guardian Reader on its way to a fairtrade convention.

Hey! I read The Guardian but love cars and bikes: no stereotyping please ;-)

unthrottled : Why do you believe you are safe driving at such a high speed ? the question is asked respectfully.

Thinking they have the right to do as they please on the roads as long as they think they can "get away with it" due to their "inate driving skills"

Was that comment directed towards me? if so, could you highlight the paragraph where I boasted about my "inate driving skills"?

You've built up a charicature of an aggressive driver which is completely irrelevant to the discussion. The irony is that anyone who gets upset about being overtaken by an "idiot" is displaying the very same aggresion to which they object!

You may choose to drive like a Guardian Reader on its way to a fairtrade convention. I find that style of driving selfish and objectionable, but I don't resort to straw man arguments to bolster my stance.

I actually read the telegraph, and you rude remarks just because I stick to the LAW doesn't do you or your "argument" any credit. Note that I did not specifically mention any other posters, so I suppose the phrase "it takes one to know one" seems apt here.

Are you also implying that because I don't break the law (even if I disagree with some, including some other speed limits), implies that I am of a certain type of political persuasion? My point was that yours and others argument of "85 is fine" was wrong becuase "why stop there", why not 100mph? I believe you haven't made your case for a higher limit generally (on clear/empty motorways, maybe, but not busy ones), especially as the only reason why most people want it is because they're running late and need to make up time.

I believe you haven't made your case for a higher limit generally (on clear/empty motorways, maybe, but not busy ones),

I give up. As I have stated many times, it is generally impossible to drive at a speed higher than the general population on a crowded motorway, so the 'problem' is entirely self-limiting.

BTW, when you drive in France, does your opin ion of 85mph (~130kph peage speed limit in dry conditions) sudenly change, just because its legal definition has?! :)

I notice that the OP hasn't been back since the first day of this thread. He would have got much more helpful answers if he'd omitted the words 'at 85 mph' - given that he was asking for a recommendation of a fuel-efficient car.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - brum

I notice that the OP hasn't been back since the first day of this thread.

Is that a surprise?

He would have got much more helpful answers if he'd omitted the words 'at 85 mph'

HJ Backroomers (inc me) rarely give helpful answers due to having their heads stuck up strange places

- given that he was asking for a recommendation of a fuel-efficient car.

Not true - he wanted to find which car would likely use least fuel at 85mph - a lot of "fuel efficient" cars have surprisingly poor fuel consumption at high speeds - e.g. Skoda Fabia greenlines/VW Polo bluemotions

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - gordonbennet

Thats true Brum, our little C2 VTS HDi was very frugal up to 70, beyond that it drunk the stuff at an increasingly alarming rate, Hilux was the same.

65ish does seem to be a reasonable cruising speed for decent economy versus travel time.

Our Honda (see above) becomes more and more economical the faster you drive it when you are able to maintain a relatively steady speed. Above a steady indicated 80mph I have no idea.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - A3 A4

Once dropped off a work colleague to pick up a 7 1/2 ton lorry in Cardiff to take back to Bristol along the M4, I thrashed it back in a then new Vectra SRi but was shocked to see how much little extra time it took him in the lorry, probably no more than 10 minutes for a 50 mile journey. Not even enough time for a coffee!

Back on topic another vote for the VAG PD engine here, I have an 02 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi PD with the 100bhp engine, travel to Cornwall regularly and that can return 55-60 mpg at 70-75, often with a roof box. Previously I had the a 130bhp version, 60mpg was more easily achieved on the same run

We had a Golf TDi and on a fairly regular 400 miles round trip it would do 60 mpg and that was calculated using fuel used and mileage covered not from the inacurate dash display. When we bought a sat nav we found that the odometer was a pathalogical liar, the sat nav said it was 380 miles which brought the mpg down to 57. We now have a Kia Ceed SW and still do the same trip over exactly the same route. The sat nav still says 380 miles but the Ceed odometer says its only 366 miles. The Ceed calculates out as 55 mpg over the trip but adjust that to the sat nav milage and it increases to 57.1 mpg. This has taught me that you as well as not believing dash fuel consumption displays you cannot believe the odometer either. Using the sat nav mileage both cars do virtually the same 57 mpg but the Ceed has 115 PS against the Golfs 90 PS, ithe Ceed SW weighs a lot more and the Ceed SW is a lot bigger. So much for VW's legendary mpg, if my experience is normal its because their odometer lie.

Both cars had/have standard factory fite tyres thus cannot blame any mods.

Avant : should you allow a post which clearly implies breaking the speed limit is acceptable ?

Edited by belucky22 on 09/05/2013 at 14:37

Here come the backroom police again!

Time for us all to stick our heads back up our bums......

Also is uncalled rudeness acceptable ? Such comments reflect badly on the person making them. Should have thought a brum had better standards.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - HandCart

Seeing the title of this thread, I fully expected the subject to get turned to the disgracefulness of doing 85 mph on motorways, but even I'm quite surprised at the height of the horse some people have got onto.

Exactly 70mph demonstrably IS an arbitrary, chosen, round number, when other countries may have chosen a round metric number that would equate to our 81mph. Do their road surfaces offer better grip? Do people of their nationality have faster reflexes?

But 70mph IS the law in this country. But LOTS and LOTS of people do 85mph. If the resulting death toll is currently 'unacceptable', why aren't the police and other authorities taking draconian measures to prosecute every single driver breaking the limit prescribed in law? Why aren't there overspeed and numberplate detction devices on gantries every 100 yards on every motorway?

I can only conclude that, yes, although going faster than 70 is illegal, the police and authorities concede that, just as cars are 'allowed' to travel at 81mph in parts of the continent, our 70 limit is a bit outdated, and, provided, in their judgement, the conditions and traffic-density do not preclude the facility, they will turn a blind eye to people doing more than 70, provided it's not blatant blatant speeding.

That's partially why the limit's never been raised: If the limit was made 80, people would be tempted to do even more, and then the police would have their work cut out actually trying to police it effectively.

Those who worry about 85mph-ers might take some comfort from me, at least: Up until quite recent years, ooh, about 2008or9, I used to 'normally' drive at about 80 on motorways. Since then, the price of fuel seems to have risen at a faster rate than cars' economy-improvements, so that nowadays I baulk at the cost of such a journey and tend to drive at about 65mph, just to deny the treasury any more of my hard-earned.

I'm not sure I'm not getting under a lot of people's feet though...

I would not be concerned if it were not that innocent people are killed or injured as a consequence of drivers speeding. Add to that the devastion for family and friends and its is literally dreadful. I'm sure no one would deny that the greater the speed the greater the damage - hence a limit on the speed. I'm not sure what wonderful things these drivers with supernormal reaction times do with the few minutes they gain. I wish all drivers could go on a driving simulator to experience what could happen and find out what their real, not imagined, reaction times are. I doubt if many would actually get over 65 as a safe speed. Finally, are to we assume that some posters believe that we can select which laws we choose to obey ?

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Soichiro

I would not be concerned if it were not that innocent people are killed or injured as a consequence of drivers speeding. Add to that the devastion for family and friends and its is literally dreadful. I'm sure no one would deny that the greater the speed the greater the damage - hence a limit on the speed. I'm not sure what wonderful things these drivers with supernormal reaction times do with the few minutes they gain. I wish all drivers could go on a driving simulator to experience what could happen and find out what their real, not imagined, reaction times are. I doubt if many would actually get over 65 as a safe speed. Finally, are to we assume that some posters believe that we can select which laws we choose to obey ?

Are you for real! The point is that there isn't loads of deaths and injuries on the motorways. Remember we are talking about 85 on the motorway, not residential streets. The government up until recently was talking about raising the motorway speed limit. You need to live in the real world, the majority of car drivers exceed the 70 limit on the motorway. Guess what, the police know this and don't care. Unless somebody is really taking the pee with their speed, the police leave them alone. Or would you rather they concentrate all their resources on motorway speeders and forget about all other policing.
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - veryoldbear

I would love to know the real breakdown of causes of KSI on motorways. I have my deep suspicions about this. The real major pile-ups seem to be caused by inattention and drowsiness ... caused by long hours, p***ing about with mobile phones, whatever. I am still deeply worried about the way that HGV drivers tail-gate with one car lengths between them.

Having said that I am equally p***ed off by Audi-man roaring past at starship speeds. It's nor really necessary. My old Saab estate seems to optimise mpg at about 75, no more. I've checked this extensively both UK and in France.

Here at home, the stretch from J13 to J12 on the M4 seems to be particularly occupied by loonies. I go to Reading regularly in the evenings and Lordy here they come ... Audis, Range Rovers, and other so-called "quality" vehicles ... god, who really thinks £40K for a box on wheels is really worth it.

Scheisse, what's the big hurry ... you'll get there either a few minutes earlier ... or maybe you won't ...

Yes I do live in the real world. One where people have been killed or injured on the motorway. What world do you live in ? Presumably one with drivers who are capable at driving at any speed they think they can without any consequences. At what point have I put, 'loads of'. Unless there are loads of don't you think it matters that some people are. As to the ridiculous idea that I'm suggesting that police spend all their time on policing motorways I really don't know why you've put that. The government idea for raising the limit was misguided and hasn't happened. Obviously those above the law don't need a higher limit. I suggest you get into the real world and talk to some of the people affected by bad driving. I expect the m****s texting etc believe they're perfectly safe etc. Any poor driving behaviour is wrong. I don't think I'm a wonderful perfect driver. I do know everyone has a reponsibility for eveyone's safety. It is obvious that spending any more time on this is wasted here.

I don't think the actual speed of vehicles is a problem...to me.

{although it may prove so, to many others?]

If I am travelling at 65-70mph on the motorway...or 50mph, or even, 45mph...and am overtaken by another vehicle travelling at 85 mph...then as long as that driver 'keeps clear' of me, I have no problems with what they do. If their actions contravene the LAw, that is for them to answer for if they are prosecuted.

Where I do have concerns, revolves around the attitude of many of these drivers.

That attitude often takes the form of the speeding driver thinking they have a right to do so.

Going further, they also think, anybody who happens to comply with the LAw, should keep out of their way....or..at least..has no business getting in their way?

How many of you on here..[in all honesty..no need to own up, either]....when crowding down a motorway at 85mph...come across a driver doing 70mph in the right [overtaking] lane....in the act of overtaking, or about to.....and you crowd up the other driver's back bumper, trying to make your presence felt..trying to 'intimidate' the other driver out of your way?

All the time complaining about 'slow' drivers?

Do you approach the slower [but legal] vehicle in such a manner as not to intimidate?

DO you acknowledge the fact that, you have no real right to expect a driver, driving within the Law, to get out of the way so you can flout the LAw?

In other words, waitng patiently for the lane to clear, so that you can make what you consider to be, better progress, outside of the LAw?

IMHO, there is far too much excuse-making by those who want to drive faster than the Law permits.......to the extent where a Law-abiding dirver becomes the one who is vilified?

If folk want to dirve at 85mph, then fine...but please, lets just drop the excuses?

How many of you on here..[in all honesty..no need to own up, either]....when crowding down a motorway at 85mph...come across a driver doing 70mph in the right [overtaking] lane....in the act of overtaking, or about to.....and you crowd up the other driver's back bumper, trying to make your presence felt..trying to 'intimidate' the other driver out of your way?

All the time complaining about 'slow' drivers?

I'll own up to having tried to 'nudge' vehicles into the inside lane on occasion. But only in the most egregious examples of outside lane hogging. I make a conscious effort to keep left and not hinder the progress of others-and I rather expect other drivers to do the same.

The outside lane is clearly the easiest lane to drive in-and some drivers do tend to gravitate to the right and stay there when they aren't overtaking. This effectively reduces a motorway to one lane-which rather defeats its purpose.

I note that yet again you have tried to conflate aggresive driving with brisk driving/speeding (depending on your point of view). The two are not synonymous. Why do you feel the need to over-egg the pudding?

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - bootneck02

I am an retired Kent fireman and you would not want to see what I have seen during my service at 85 mph should you have an accident wether your fault or someone else you are dead and not a pretty sight and even your own mother would not recognise you. Never mind about your demise what about others you may have killed and their families, what about yours? wife (widdow) children (fatherless) you dead and selfish

I am an retired Kent fireman and you would not want to see what I have seen during my service at 85 mph should you have an accident wether your fault or someone else you are dead and not a pretty sight and even your own mother would not recognise you. Never mind about your demise what about others you may have killed and their families, what about yours? wife (widdow) children (fatherless) you dead and selfish

I completely understand where you're coming from, and you're right I would not want to see what you've seen. But were these accidents caused by speed or inappropriate speed. I would have thought you don't stand much of a chance if you crash at 70,60 or even 50mph. It's not how fast you hit something that kills you but how fast you stop. Simple physics. Accidents on motorways are still rarer than on other roads.

Thank you bootneck02 : you certainly live in the real world. Soichiro you have made a sensible and courteous contribution, which is not always the case. A speed beyond your abilities is inappropriate. The speed on many occasions should be lower than the limit. The speed at which you hit something is crucial and how fast you can stop is determined by your reactions and the speed you are travelling. It is quite correct that motorways have the fewest accidents but tte severity is another matter.

I thought you'd given up Belucky.
Don't understand your comment about being courteous and sensible.
All my posts are as such.
I don't think the speed should be lower than the posted limit on many occasions.
Your posts sound like an advert for Brake.

Not given up, but in some cases, it is a waste of time : mine to waste.

Read some other posts on the forum, not just on this thread. I just acknowledged someone who was courteous and sensible. First time I read one of your posts.

You may not think so but I do. 30 mph is permitted outside some schools. Shouldn't drivers drive more slowly when children are coming and leaving ? even slower than 20 in some situations. I would hope everyone would agree that drivers should not automatically drive to the limits.

Quite right, good spot. I have joined Brake. It is a worthwhile organisation.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - ripjean

Motorway's are funny things (not in the haha sense). They are built for speed (design speed for motorways in UK is120 kph which is about 75mph) with low amounts of access. Now while driving too fast on a motorway can be dangerous so can be driving too slow.

A prime example of this is drivers joining a motorway. Some drivers will travel down the entrance slip road (which is normally downhill so should aid acceleration) refusing to accelerate to match the speed of the traffic on the motorway. Generally there is a lorry in the inside lane who is travelling faster than the joining car (even though the car could quite easily accelerate ahead of the lorry and merge safely). The lorry will then try and move into lane two and then the cars who were about to overtake the lorry (assuming they are not CLOG's) are then forced into the fast lane. This all happens in second's, causes needless bunching and is an accident waiting to happen. This selfish driving by the car merging on to the motorway also causes issues for drivers behind who will not have the chance to use the slip lane for what it is intended for (accelerating) and then have difficulty joining the motorway.

The main cause of accidents on motorways is lane changing. If cars are travelling to slowly then lorries are forced out of the inside lane. If drivers stay in the middle lane then this forces drivers into the outside lane.

One thing I have noticed with speeding drivers is they tend to (not always but generally) anticipate things. A prime example is when I am in the inside lane and a car is speeding past in the second lane. If I approaching a lorry, these speeding cars generally move into the outside lane before I signal as they are anticipating that I will be pulling out into the middle lane. Althought they are breaking the speed limit they are showing some roadcraft. To counter that, you have the drivers overtaking with a speed differential of 0.5mph who sit at your side for what seems ages, therefore reducing your chance to overtake.

If everyone drove in the correct lane, and is alert to everything around them then driving at varying speeds should not be a problem.

Edited by ripjean on 10/05/2013 at 02:02

I think this is an excellent analysis of the main issues. In particular, a hazard which arises from driving too slowly. A driver education programme is needed. Probably some drivers do not use the motorway often enough to develop/maintain the necessary skills, e.g entering from the slip road. Research has shown that drivers over 60 are most anxious about using slip roads and entering roundabouts ( obviously not a concern on motorways !) You have highlighted good anticipation but, unfortunately, not all drivers think ahead. We need to have the attitude that driving is a co-operative endeavour - we all want to be safe - not a competition. I agree that driving at varying speeds should not be a problem but an excessive speed is. Billions of pounds have been spent making motorways as safe as possible without the hazards present on ordinary roads. Should there be any accidents driving in a straight line ? Although you have pointed out the main cause of motorway crashes, does any driver really have the reaction time needed to respond to an emergency at the speeds many travel at ? If drivers go at the personal limit of the skill there is no margin for dealing with a problem.

Belucky your obsession with reaction times is becoming a little tedious.
Who says that 70 is the proven reaction limit for the majority of drivers?
My old fiesta I had twenty years ago would have not stopped very cleanly from 80 in an emergency situation. But I guarantee you my Honda Accord which is more than twice the weight of that fiesta definitely will stop when I need it to.
The point I am trying to make is that modern cars have much better tech built into them to stop when you need to.
Also seeing as more than 50% of drivers on the motorway exceed the limit, you really have to ask yourself is the posted limit correct.
If we live in a democracy the general public have spoken and decided the limit is antiquated and needs to be increased.

"The main cause of accidents on motorways is lane changing."

One of the main causes, certainly - but we should add to that driving too close to the vehicle in front, together with needless braking. I'm not condoning law-breaking, but these types of idiocy are surely more dangerous than speed on its own.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - RT

There is a relationship between the 2 second "rule" and the cruising speed - given how close everyone drives in the UK then the limit should be lowered to about 40mph because that's the right speed for the gap most drivers leave.

Problem is that most drivers simply don't drive to the conditions.

UK then the limit should be lowered to about 40mph because that's the right speed for the gap most drivers leave.

But the gap would decrease as the speed went down! I think most drivers keep a constant ~1 second gap irrespective of speed.

UK then the limit should be lowered to about 40mph because that's the right speed for the gap most drivers leave.

But the gap would decrease as the speed went down! I think most drivers keep a constant ~1 second gap irrespective of speed.

Yes - all too close !!

It is too close. Yet most of us do it. 2 seconds at 40mph is almost 60 ft or 4 car lengths. I doubt very much if I maintain a full 2 seconds very often.

struggling to get the software to work...sorry

Edited by alastairq on 11/05/2013 at 17:45

If we live in a democracy the general public have spoken and decided the limit is antiquated and needs to be increased.

Have they?

Really?

For your argument to work, we'd first of all better see all cars over 10 years old [sorry, make that 5 years old...arbitrary cut-off, much like our speed limits, according to some?] banned from motorways...so that the mighty few can go faster, with their better brakes??

By constantly referring to the advantages of newer technologies, you then, at a stroke, disregard the fact that there are as many, if not more older vehicles on the roads than newer one's....!

The legislators obviously do not forget that.

What is constantly forgotten in these discussions, is the huge variation in skill, awareness and ability of drivers/riders on the road.

And how awareness of that aspect dictateshow regulations are changed...if at all?

For your argument to work, we'd first of all better see all cars over 10 years old [sorry, make that 5 years old...arbitrary cut-off, much like our speed limits, according to some?] banned from motorways...so that the mighty few can go faster, with their better brakes??

No it doesn't. We're comparing modern cars with contemporary vehicles at the time the 70mph speed limit was established. There's probably no relevant difference in the performance of a 1990 Mazda 626 and a 2013 Mazda 6.

There is a difference between a Morris Minor sitting on cross ply tyres shod in drum rounds all round. You're just trying to extrapolate logic to extremes to emphasise a point.

What is constantly forgotten in these discussions, is the huge variation in skill, awareness and ability of drivers/riders on the road.

I don't forget this. Motorways are designed witrh high speed travel in mind. Lane width, slip roads, visibility, separation of opposing direction traffic, absence of pedestrians etc are all carefully considered to keep reaction times reasonable even at high speeds.

In terms of reaction times, 80mph on a free flowing motorway is considerably less than that required to negotiate hazards in typical urban environments at 30mph. Thiis is why motorways are the safest roads in the country as well as the fastest. Drivers that cannot cope with motorway speeds can't cope with any of the other roads either, and should either retrain or surrender their driving licences.

Few people and virtually no organisations advocate an increase in AVERAGE speeds on motorways - the suggestion of increasing the limit to 80mph would be accompanied by much more stringent enforcement of that limit.

It's said that our full specification motorways are among the best and safest in the world despite their very high traffic usage rate - if we could go back to the lightly-used motorways of the '60s then a real increase might be justified - but not on today's congested network.

Alistairq (the other member of Brake) your argument about age of cars is nonsense. My previous 1994 cavalier had far superior brakes to the fiesta I mentioned. In fact there probably isn't a lot if difference in brake tech between my old cavalier and my 2006 Accord. Except the Accord has stability control.
So the fact that I rarely see a 1994 cavalier on the road, one of the best selling fleet cars in its day, I would say that most cars on the road have acceptable technology to cops with increase in the motorway limit.
If the odd person can't cope with modern motorways use the A roads (which statistically are far more dangerous).

Unthrottled : are you really wanting people who abide by the speed limit to have to surrender their licence ? It seems rather unfair.

Unthrottled : are you really wanting people who abide by the speed limit to have to surrender their licence ? It seems rather unfair.

Are you for real?!

Where have I suggested that? I think that drivers who elect to drive well below the limit and cannot adequately cope with the speed differentials caused by travelling below the speed of the general traffic flow should either be retrained or removed from the roads.

Your argument suggests that you think that everyone else should be hobbled to the speed of the most doddery drivers.

Ah, I get it now! Alistair and belucky are the same (very odd) person.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - daveyK_UK

BRAKE - 'emotional blackmail since 1995'.

BRAKE - 'emotional blackmail since 1995'.

BRAKE - stuck in the past since 1965.

It's a particularly silly name, given that needless braking is such a common contributory factor to accidents.

It is a great shame that people seem unable to have a discussion without rudeness. However, I'm sure it will please some people that I will make no further comment on this forum and remove the site from my list of favourites. No loss, will be the response - we can't have people not accepting us being above the law and bound by normal human limitations. Any further ill mannered comment will be wasted because I will not see them. Probably Alastair will continue.

Well, having briefly removed my head from my bum, I can see that, predictably, another backroom thread has veered way off topic and onto inevitable themes i.e. "you dont agree with me so you are an idiot" or "everyone except me is a dangerous driver".

Sometimes the pious attitudes of seemingly everyone here makes me want to shout loudly and abusively and throw something heavy at my computer screen, then..... I suddenly realise that, in showing such emotion, I'm no better than anyone else here...

We're all annoying old gits.....

Anyway I'm not coming back either.....not until something really annoys me again at least.....

BTW the most fuel economical car at 85mph is likely to be a small, lightweight sports car with really good aerodynamics (low Cda) fitted with skinny eco tyres and a modern low displacement CR turbo diesel (low bhp) engine and highly geared - such a car probably doesnt exist in reality.

Edited by brum on 12/05/2013 at 02:04

"given that needless braking is such a common contributory factor to accidents"

Where is that information from?

"Needless" braking comes from everyone driving too close and having to brake just because the vehicle in front slows down in traffic - it's this that causes the stop/start pulses which in turn leads to avoidable collisions, ie "accidents" - it's made worse by inconsiderate lane changing, ie forcing into almost non-existent gaps, lack of signal or indeed lack of observation.

This is why "managed motorways" flow traffic faster and safer in congested conditions by imposing a slightly lower speed limit and enforcing it with average speed cameras - a managed 60mph flows a lot quicker than an unmanaged 70mph in those conditions.

Traffic management is just a way of forcing more drivers to to what the better drivers do automatically.

I know where the needless braking comes from. I wanted to know if there are figures or evidence to back up that statement, it sounds good, but is it really the case?

I wanted to know if there are figures or evidence to back up that statement, it sounds good, but is it really the case?

I doubt such data really exists. The only fact that can be unambiguously ascertained in the event of a collison is that one or more drivers failed to stop in time. I agree with RT about pulsed traffic flow and traffic management.

When the car in front brakes gently, the driver behind must brake more sharply because braking too gently would be catastrophic. This effect is magnified through a line of traffic until 10 or twenty cars behind, the cars are now braking quite sharply.

A driver approaching this Mexican wave of braking can be fooled if he is watching the traffic in the distance which is free flowing. Intuitively, he expects the cars immediately ahead of him to be doing the same thing. I'll own up to being caught out by this more than once.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - bananastand

In my experience, no matter how fast you drive in Germany, there will always be a Porsche or something about a foot behind you with horn blaring.

firstly...enlighten me on ''BRAKE?''

Secondly, perhaps folk ony read one word in three that I post?

Reference older vehicles on motorways?

In no way am I offering comparisons..merely pointing out the fact that they exist, in great numbers, therefore to justify higher cruising speeds, or raising speed limits, on the grounds that newer vehicles are technologically better at stopping from those speeds is missing the point.

The implications of using better technology as an 'excuse' for advocating the raising of existing limits is worrying..It implies that improved technology allows one to increase the levels of risk?

Arguing that the 70mph limit is outmoded, due to the difference in driving environment from when it was introduced, to today, is also missing the point.

It exists, for exactly the same reasons the 30mph urban limit still exists.

Technology may change..driver training may improve, but human beings remain the same.

Somewhere in the middle of this thread I posted my own, personal views [me as a driver] regarding speeds.....and what other drivers do.

What I do argue against, is the lack of tolerance of any other road user that is so frequently displayed on various posts on here.

If anybody on here thinks anybody else should 'surrender their licence' simply because that individual views things differently......then they need to take a good long look at whether they themselves ought not be the person, 'surrendering their licence?'

In no way am I offering comparisons..merely pointing out the fact that they [old cars] exist, in great numbers

Cars with cross ply tyres still exist in 'great numbers'? I think not. Those that do will be used as weekend cruisers on sunny afternoons and will see little motorway use.

It [70mph limit] exists, for exactly the same reasons the 30mph urban limit still exists.

No it doesn't. The 30mph urban limit exists because of the high probability of hazards presenting appearing at short notice. Unlike motorways, there is little scope for substantially reducing the potential for hazards on urban roads and no one is suggesting raising the 30mph limit.

Technology may change..driver training may improve, but human beings remain the same.

So because humans are fallable, improved tyre technology and more rigorous driver training is futile?

What I do argue against, is the lack of tolerance of any other road user that is so frequently displayed on various posts on here.

That would be the same intolerence you display towards anyone that wishes to drive at a higher speed than you.

If anybody on here thinks anybody else should 'surrender their licence' simply because that individual views things differently......then they need to take a good long look at whether they themselves ought not be the person, 'surrendering their licence?'

Gross distortion of my post. I said that individuals who were unable or unwilling to learn to deal with speed differentials should be removed from the roads. As a safety precaution I thought you would approve wholeheartedly.

The problem with trundlers is that they tend to switch off and drive on autopilot. Thus any safety gain that comes from reduced braking distance is usually more than offset by the gain in thinking distance.

I doubt such data really exists.

That was pretty much the point I wanted to make. This thread is protracted and deviated from its origin. Much of what is presented as fact, is actually opinion or speculation.

I doubt such data really exists.

That was pretty much the point I wanted to make. This thread is protracted and deviated from its origin. Much of what is presented as fact, is actually opinion or speculation.

There's no doubt that accidents occur in queues of traffic because of bunching - that wouldn't occur otherwise.

Why does that need evaluating - any reduction would be an overall reduction in collision statistics.

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - gordonbennet

I think hiccup needless brakings does cause accidents, but often way back down the line as the wave undulates through the following traffic.

Trouble is not speed, its that most drivers don't leave anywhere near enough of a gap in front and don't, partly for this reason, look far enough ahead or around them, they drive in that little bubble just in front.

One of these bubble drivers was displaying his prowess recently on my working commute, between the two towns (A road single carriage) there are 2.5 places to overtake and those 2.5 places require that you hang back for maximum visibility and have at least 20 mph in hand as you actually start to pull out to overtake, a little bit of the stealth overtake needed, the half a possible overtake opportunity requiring considerable acceleration rate and a good head of stealth steam hence the .5

The young chap in his Corsa was jammed right up the chuff of the artic in front on a miserable heavily salted wet road, his wipers were going full pelt despite there being no rain because he was disappearing into the full salt bath coc-oon from the spray of the artic, he was following at about a cars length and creeping out to look for an overtaking opportunity, not a hope in hell did he have and followed this lorry like this right to the roundabout.

Meanwhile i travelled along several hundred yards behind this scenario in the clear air, with it has to said another equally impatient going nowhere fast driver jammed right up my chuff trying to push me on, probably desperately worrying that we might miss the light change or something...there are no lights, each end of this road is a roundabout.

You cannot educate people like this, they are not and never will be drivers, it matters not what speed they drive at they are accidents waiting to happen, its for people like this and there are millions of them that we can't have sensible variable judge for yourself speed limits.

You see them in their finest glory on Friday afternoons, belting away at warp 5 from large cities, lemming like travelling feet from each other, when something goes wrong as it does every single Friday afternoon carnage results, similar results on Sunday afternoons as the survivors return, people like that have to be told how to drive hence a blanket limit for all.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2013 at 12:02

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - madf

I am frequently followed by cars/vans within 5 meters of my rear with drivers using mobile phones. Apart from breaking the law, their concentratuion must be appalling.

Anyone suggesting an increase in speed limits had better suggest a way to weed these idiots from the roads. First.

Mindless muppets...

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - galileo

I am frequently followed by cars/vans within 5 meters of my rear with drivers using mobile phones. Apart from breaking the law, their concentratuion must be appalling.

Anyone suggesting an increase in speed limits had better suggest a way to weed these idiots from the roads. First.

Mindless muppets...

They are just a little bit unbalanced. Balance could be restored by insertion of a small piece of lead, 9mm dia.in the left ear (at about 1000 feet per second). :-)

Edited by galileo on 12/05/2013 at 16:21

Cars with cross ply tyres still exist in 'great numbers'? I think not. Those that do will be used as weekend cruisers on sunny afternoons and will see little motorway use.

Not talking about tyre technolgy at all....has nothing to do with it [radial tyres were fairly commonplace in the 1960's...certainly in the 1970's and 1980's.

And both had their faults with regards to outright braking distances.

No it doesn't. The 30mph urban limit exists because of the high probability of hazards presenting appearing at short notice. Unlike motorways, there is little scope for substantially reducing the potential for hazards on urban roads and no one is suggesting raising the 30mph limit.

Well, it does...technology, for example, only affects one aspect of braking distance, the 'thinking distance is subject to human failing, and is recognised as such

Edited by alastairq on 12/05/2013 at 18:21

because humans are fallable, improved tyre technology and more rigorous driver training is futile?

No..but it has to be seen in proper perspective
That would be the same intolerence you display towards anyone that wishes to drive at a higher speed than you.

ON the contrary, I am completely tolerant of such road users

I thought my previous posts have made that clear? Obviously not?

Equally I am totally tolerant of those who wish to drive more slowly...or who may be compelled to drive more slowly.

I agree my latter attitude may be somewhat alien to those drivers who only see the future at speeds of 80-plus?

¬¬¬Gross distortion of my post. I said that individuals who were unable or unwilling to learn to deal with speed differentials should be removed from the roads. As a safety precaution I thought you would approve wholeheartedly.¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Why? We are all required by Law to show 'care & consideration' for other road users.

The only safety issue has arisen because of a desire by certain elements of the driving world, to drive much faster than currenlty permitted, and who seek any justification to do so. As far as I am concerned, drive as you wish....but don't expect other road users to have to change, adapt and adjust to accomodate your needs...or change the status quo.

Well, it does...technology, for example, only affects one aspect of braking distance, the 'thinking distance is subject to human failing, and is recognised as such

Here we in accord. Thinking distance is a big variable. Thinking distance increases with speed. However, thinking distance also increases with lack of concentration. I would posit that slow cruising speeds tend to lull drivers into a false sense of security and detachment from their surroundings.

When I used to drive for outright economy, I would cruise at 55 on motorways and my concentration would invariably lapse. I imagine that is not atypical.

Taking rubbish again, if the technology helps cars stop quicker. It effectively means people with slower reaction (thinking) times are better off.
With regard to your comment about older cars. They do not exist in great numbers, that's just more nonsense. Modern abs brake systems have been around a long time now. So these older cars without are few in comparison.
There should be a minimum speed limit on the motorway as well an increase in the top limit.
Taking rubbish again, if the technology helps cars stop quicker. It effectively means people with slower reaction (thinking) times are better off. With regard to your comment about older cars. They do not exist in great numbers, that's just more nonsense. Modern abs brake systems have been around a long time now. So these older cars without are few in comparison. There should be a minimum speed limit on the motorway as well an increase in the top limit.

Exactly what is the rubbish?

The bit about overall stopping distances?

[Never heard of 'volvo syndrome?']

The numbers of vehicles on the roads, of between 10 and 25 + years of age, are considerable.

We're talking of registrations as far back as F-plate or earlier...and all those in between?

Mass-market cars registered into this century were still sold without ABS.

ABS in itself, whilst a good thing in many respects, isn't the 'save-all' some folk think it is.

The same with tyre technology

It is out there..but there is no compulsion to buy and fit.

Your speed isn't really a problem..do as you please?

As I've said before, if speed is desired, then advocate more private motorways.

Then you can apply as many restrictions as you wish.....and pay for the privilege?

But you will find endless resistance to your efforts to turn the public motorway system into a race track safe enough for you to fly about on.

Edited by alastairq on 12/05/2013 at 21:04

I thought ABS wasn't there to shorten stopping distances, hence allow cars to travel more closely at a given speed, safely.

It prevents lock up and allows the vehicle to be piloted under severe braking, just an automatic form of cadence braking.

Alistairq, nonsense again.
I've never said I want the motorway system to become racetrack.
But I do want a sensible up to date speed limit.
I won't find endless resistance to it, I'll just get the odd small minded person who believes the current limit is correct.
Don't believe me!
Go and drive at 70 on any motorway in the country, and when you see you're being overtaken at speed by the majority of motorists, you might finally realise you're in the minority.
The public have spoken by their actions.
If there was a vote on it tomorrow I'll guarantee the majority would vote to increase the limit.
You might not like it, tough.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!

WHAT HAS ALL THIS TRIPE POSTED GOT TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL TOPIC?

...LOSING....THE.....WILL....TO.....LIVE..............

AAAARRRGGGHHH!

WHAT HAS ALL THIS TRIPE POSTED GOT TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL TOPIC?

...LOSING....THE.....WILL....TO.....LIVE..............

Oh nothing. I hear some of the earlier VW's are very good at 85. The mpg is quite respectable. I would also recommend the 8th Gen Accord iDtec. But I would, wouldn't I.

Edited by Soichiro on 12/05/2013 at 22:58

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - Sofa Spud

The speed limit on motorways is 70 mph. If you're in the habit of driving at 85 mph might I suggest you either give up driving or buy one of the few remaining Citroen 2CV's, which have a top speed of 68 mph!

The speed limit on motorways is 70 mph. If you're in the habit of driving at 85 mph might I suggest you either give up driving or buy one of the few remaining Citroen 2CV's, which have a top speed of 68 mph!

Thanks for that useful advice. How that helps I don't know. Again try telling the majority of drivers on the nations motorways the speed limit is 70.
Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - BenG

Just because most people drive like idiots doesn't make it right, or necessary...

I wonder how many of those tailgating, aggressive Audi & BMW drivers on the motorways are paying for their own fuel?

Perhaps a large, real-time mpg indicator on the dash of every new car sold would help focus the minds of those that do?

Perhaps a large, real-time mpg indicator on the dash of every new car sold would help focus the minds of those that do?

Then the mindless idiots who drive at 85 mph far too close to the car in front would have another distraction while they are risking their own and more importantly other peoples safety.

For the record I drive a BMW and pay for my own fuel. I drive at sensible speeds in a safe manner.

Most cars now have this facility (although the figure will often be massaged by taking the most favourable discrepency between indicated speed and actual speed.

Why would you want to 'focus their minds' on fuel economy anyway? You're not paying for it!

Tbd - Best car for high mpg when driving at 85mph - skidpan

The OP originally asked:

"I do a 180 mile round-trip 3-times per week from High Wycombe to Birmingham with virtually the whole distance driven on the M40 at 85mph.
This adds up to 30,000 miles of motorway driving per year.

I currently drive a '98 Mondeo 2.0 which has 140,000 miles on the clock and is very reliable but only delivers 31mpg. That's a lot of petrol to buy every year. "

I have done a quick calculation. The trip is approx 88 miles according to AA Autotroute, 78 miles are on the M40/M42.

Assuming you can average 85 mph on the motorway and 30 mph off the trip should theoretically take 75 minutes. Drop the motorway speed to 70 mph and the trip would take 86 minutes.

11 minutes is very little in the big scheme of things and in truth averaging 85 mph on the motorway is going to pretty much impossible, averaging 70 mph would be difficult enough. Because of this I believe that the 11 miinutes difference would in truth be much less.

But if the OP took a little more time for his journey and drove at 70 mph on the motorway his mpg would improve dramatically. Accelerating up to 85 mph and then braking because of slower traffic is a certain way to waste loads of fuel.

He would also get to his destination (and home later) in a much better frame of mind with much less stress.

Has anyone ever noticed what happens when you travel on a busy motorway, the faster cars that overtake like their a***s are on fire rarely get very far ahead, all they get is frustrated and become a danger. Its not speed that kills, its the speed differential when you hit something.