307 HDI 2.0 90 - 307 HDI suspected fuel pump failure - part-timer

After some advice on a 307 likely fuel pump failure. Had a total loss of power and now car won't start, AA recovery guy did some tests on voltage, fuse etc to the low pressure pump and that all looks ok but when removing the fuel pipe feed to filter there was no fuel being fed from the tank. His diagnosis, largely confirmed by reading others experiences is that the in-tank low pressure pump has failed.

Where my concerns begin is that when searching for a replacement part, some of the in-tank units for that part seem to just be sender units rather than integrated pump and sender unit. Can anyone advise on this? I've included as much info as I hope will be needed below but car is outside and will provide any other info as required for anyone that can help.

Car: 2002 (52) HDI 90 2.0 307 Rapier
Fuel System: VDO/Siemens
In tank pump part number: 9632759780 (221.824/085/001)
Mileage: just under 140k (a fault free 140k as well!)

Over the last couple of weeks there has been some hesitancy under accelleration and there was a vibrating sound behind the drivers seat for last couple of days but I've kind of put that down to something rattling and not impending doom. When turning key to ignition, there is no 'priming' sound from the 'pump' - my question I guess is whether this part is indeed a pump/sender unit or just a sender unit and I've a potentially more costly failure elsewhere.

Edited by part-timer on 28/04/2013 at 18:37