Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Shugs

My 2004 BMW E46 320d Touring is not jarringly uncomfortable, but on 205/55/16 Michelin Primacy HP summer tyres it could be a great deal more compliant. I have a set of Michelin Alpin A4 winter tyres on steel rims for the car, and their ride comfort is amazing, albeit with a slight penalty in fuel consumption. I do strongly recommend the Alpin A4 winter tyres.

When the Primacy HP tyres needed replacing, I replaced all four with the new Continental EcoContact 5 tyres, having read good reports online regarding noise and ride quality. Continental have actually designed these tyres to have very flexible sidewalls, yet still claim top-of-the-class rolling resistance.

I can confirm that the ride quality of my car with the EcoContact 5 tyres is astonishingly good, combined with the lowest road noise that I've yet experienced in the BMW. Fuel economy seems to back up Continental's claims too, with an easy 50mpg obtainable (this with an automatic 'box).

This wonderful ride compliance comes with a cost, though, and that is the handling, which is perfectly safe and progressive, but not exactly razor-sharp. I don't mind that at all, because the tyres' other virtues are more important to me, but anyone wishing Nurburgring handling finesse should steer clear of the EcoContact 5 tyres. Grip from these tyres is excellent, though.

So, in summary, anyone looking to rid their car of a bone-jarring ride, and who does not care for boy-racer handling, should look very closely at the Continental Eco-Contact 5 tyres. That they have very low rolling resistance and came in at only £80 each at Micheldever Tyres is a bonus.

Edited by Shugs on 28/04/2013 at 12:13

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - jamie745

Plug! Plug!!

Ive got Primacys on the S-Type but the cars suspension itself is slightly more geared to comfort than any BMW so I find them quite good.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Collos25

I have Michelin primacy on a E46 and they are fantastic and I did not get them at MT they are far to expensive..

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - RT

Any car's ride quality is determined far more by the suspension characteristics and standard tyre size than any minor subjective differences in tyre brands - surely ?

I choose tyres on the basis of grip - I include ride comfort when choosing cars though.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Engineer Andy

Any car's ride quality is determined far more by the suspension characteristics and standard tyre size than any minor subjective differences in tyre brands - surely ?

I choose tyres on the basis of grip - I include ride comfort when choosing cars though.

I suspect as some cars are designed and set up to ride in a sporting manner (I doubt if Jamie's S-Type is - its likely to be geared more towards comfort than a beemer), that choice of tyres makes more difference than those that aren't. I found that on my Mazda3, going from the hard-wearing but noisy (and not good in the wet) Bridgestone ER30s (original factory-fit) to Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse made the ride a lot more comfortable, much less noisy and fine for grip, for a reasonable price (there were better ones all-round, but 25-30% more expensive).

Of course, some people prefer a firmer or softer ride anyway, so its all very subjective. Given that most Japanese cars (almost exclusively what I buy from) have reasonably firm suspension, my choice of tyres (replacements at least) becomes all the more important.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 28/04/2013 at 22:06

I suspect as some cars are designed and set up to ride in a sporting manner ... that choice of tyres makes more difference than those that aren't. I just don't see the point in buying a car with "sporting manner" which inevitably means sacrificing ride quality but then trying to rectify that shortcoming.

I quite understand those who buy a car with "sporting manner" - I just don't understand those that buy cars with a characteristic and then try to change it.

Interesting, since Micheldever Tyres have always been cheap enough to very nearly match the cheapest online prices, including for the last set of Primacy HPs that I bought. Add their excellent service into the equation, and for me it's a no-brainer to go there.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Hamsafar

I had the size 205 55 16 on a Passat and Uniroyal Rainsport 2 were the most comfortable I had compared to Goodyear Eagle F1 and Michelin Pilot something or other I had before.

On my A8, 235 55 17 I have NEXEN N8000, a Korean tyre which did well in German reviews and is very comfortable but wears quickly. I really like them, the price is low, and grip is excellent, and they are of a soft compound.

www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s291p60262/Nexen_Tyres_Car..._

www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres-NEXEN/N8000...l

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - TeeCee

A quick google reveals that Nexen are a joint venture between Michelin(!) and Woosung tyres of Korea (although I suspect that actually what's going on is that Michelin snapped up Woosung when the entire Daewoo chaebol went spectacularly bust).

By sheer coincidence, the best tyres I ever had for handling and grip on my old MGB were a set of Woosung's...... Better than the Dunlops, Goodyears and Michelins I'd had over time and considerably cheaper too. While they did wear quite quickly, the cost saving more than offset the shorter life.

Unfortunately, when I went to look for a second set, Daewoo had gone to the wall and they were not available any more.

The joint venture with Michelin only lasted 4 years and ENDED over 20 years ago when Nexen started a joint venture with Otsu under the Woosung brand www.nexentire.com/international/about/about_1_3.asp Otsu's main brand was Falken, now part of Sumitomo, along with Dunlop.

Other than as a supplier of tyres, there seems to be no connection with Daewoo.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Collos25

The poster never said there was a connection with Daewoo.

(Needlessly offensive remark deleted)

Edited by Avant on 29/04/2013 at 22:39

The poster never said there was a connection with Daewoo.

The poster mentioned Daewoo, not me, but they don't enter the story - Nexen's joint venture with Michelin was from '87 to '91, almost a decade before Daewoo's problems.

Edited by Avant on 29/04/2013 at 22:39

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Ed V

I find it hard to believe any amateur driver can tell the differences from one tyre to another - at least to the extent that 'shrugs' does. I agree with the poster who feels wheel size and tyre size must be 95% of the variable factors in tyre choice - which probably form only 50%, if you include the car's suspension set up etc.

I find it hard to believe any amateur driver can tell the differences from one tyre to another - at least to the extent that 'shrugs' does. I agree with the poster who feels wheel size and tyre size must be 95% of the variable factors in tyre choice - which probably form only 50%, if you include the car's suspension set up etc.

Come on, please credit me with some intelligence! My BMW is not a sports car, nor would I ever want anything with sporting pretensions - it is a good handling car that perfectly well shows up differences between tyre types, whether it's my winter Michelins or the new EcoContact 5 tyres. I posted the comments about EcoContact 5 tyres because I thought that there may be other car owners out there who are (like me) increasingly irritated by hard riding, sharp steering cars that seem to have been set up for notional boy-racers or Autocar testers. I favour comfort and a quiet ride above all else, provided that the tyres do have grip and are of good quality. The EcoContact 5 tyres deliver on both those criteria, at the expense of sharp steering and scythe-like handling. This is a reasonable compromise in my book, but may not suit others.

There are differences between tyres, sometimes extreme. Some years ago I bought a new Seat Arosa TDi which came on quite fat little Firestone tyres, but these tyres had laughably low grip, even on dry roads when it was possible to lock up the wheels (no ABS on that car) when stopping for pedestrian crossings etc, at speeds well below 30mph. I changed them pretty swiftly for equivalent size Continentals and the car was transformed, with normal levels of grip. I would never even consider a Firestone tyre after that experience. My brother has a Mini Clubman Cooper D which has a rock-hard ride on its standard fit run-flats (Continentals in his case) - he replaced the worn fronts with Avons that are far more comfortable, although still pretty uncomfortable by my standards.

Perhaps I'm alone in despairing of new cars with hard ride? My BMW was chosen not because I wanted a sports car, but because (at the time) it was clearly the best small estate car with an automatic 'box. The broadly equivalent Audi A3 Sportback that I tested was beautifully crafted but blighted by a 'Sports' badge and suspension that could have come off a steamroller. Careful tyre choice can make a car more comfortable, and online reviews can help to identify the best choice. My choice of EcoContact 5 tyres was made on the basis of these reviews www.tyretest.com/summercar_tyres/continental/eco_c...l

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - unthrottled

but these tyres had laughably low grip, even on dry roads when it was possible to lock up the wheels

Most of the objective tyre comparisons I've seen showed little measurable difference between brands on dry tarmac, even spanning the range of premium to budget. Much bigger differences were observed in wet or icy conditions.

When you change tyres you're virtually always swapping old tyres for new ones and usually having the tracking re-aligned at the same time. Even the most indifferent driver will feel a subjectve difference-but the comparison is new vs worn, rather than brand X Vs brand Y.

As far as tyre reviews go, I only take notice of perceived noise and longevity, because these variables can be easily (albeit qualitatively) measured. As far as 'grip' goes, seat of-the-pants analysis is worthless. Does a bootful of throttle cause the tyre to let go or not? Nothing more.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Piowolf

Perhaps I'm alone in despairing of new cars with hard ride?

Believe me, you are not. I'm having trouble choosing the right one myself, I really don't know why they are doing that, it's really horrible.

Edited by Piowolf on 02/05/2013 at 15:50

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Hamsafar

For me it's as obvious as different footwear.

I find it hard to believe any amateur driver can tell the differences from one tyre to another - at least to the extent that 'shrugs' does.

Other than as a supplier of tyres, there seems to be no connection with Daewoo.

Well Woosung used to be part of the Daewoo empire. The logo on Woosung tyres was the same as the one on everything else made by Deawoo (including the car badges) and the small print on the sidewalls had "Daewoo" in it.

I thought that those two were a bit of a giveaway at the time.

You have to remember that Daewoo did everything from shipbuilding to toys, via cars, electronics and construction. It was broken up and the various bits flogged off when the wheels came off.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Alf_Hooker

I have Michelin primacy on a E46 and they are fantastic and I did not get them at MT they are far to expensive..

We thought you lived in Germany ? so why would you use Micheldever tyres ?

I've only been reading this forum a few weeks and you have to be the most annoying contributor.

How come you need to latch on to each and every thread with some negative remark, If you have nothing positive or interesting to contribute to the discussion, why bother ?

Anyone else agree ?

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - quizman

No I do not agree, I like Collos' posts.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Avant

As a moderator I certainly agree with you, Alf.

The worst of it is that when he is rude to new posters they can be put off from ever coming back to us. The rest of us welcome new members on here; sometimes their problem is self-inflicted and the correct answer to them isn't what they want to hear. But it's perfectly possible to tell it straight without being rude or patronising.

This particular thread is a good example of a discussion where everyone is entitled to their opinion whivh will be based on their own experiences. I'm keeping the Kleber Quadraxer all-weather tyres on all year from now on my Octavia vRS estate, as (apart from being much better in snow) they give a better ride than the original Continentals with negligible difference in handling.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - 1litregolfeater

Mum help I'm in a room full of rude old men!

Tyres are a personal thing, someone younger might feel that tyre noise and harsh suspension was just the job. I remember having top of the range Michelin Pilots once for a mercifully short time before they wore out, gawd were they noisy. I suppose on a car with soft suspension they may have been bearable, but that would have defeated the point.

I suppose they did handle but my motorway journey just made them a waste. I think it's more a consumer thing like a tight shirt and a brand of lager, more bragging to your mates for 30 year old professionals with more money than sense, than anything.

After a fast journey you'd climb out to a smell of burning rubber. What woman could resist that?

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - belucky22

Nothing to add but want to give support to Moderator and others with their comments about making sure posts are polite. The purpose, I think, of a forum is for people to share knowledge/experience and help each other : not rude point scoring which has no place here or anywhere. Unpleasantness detracts from a point of view as well as being both unnecessary and undesirable.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - rogue-trooper

I ditched the run flats on my 535d and because I was getting a set of 4, budget mean a set of Kumho KU39s went on. The ride is a great improvement over the Dunlop SP1 RFTs but that's not saying much. Grip is also better but still not great, so I intend to go for the Conti Sport 5s.

Going off track a little, the Mrs's Santa Fe came with Kumho so I stuck with them. Needed 2 new ones so got some Genreal Grabber UHPs on the front and it has transfored the car, even before the tyres have scrubbed in. Wheel spin seems to have all but disappeared. Comfort levels - can't say I notice much difference.

I'm keeping the Kleber Quadraxer all-weather tyres on all year from now on my Octavia vRS estate, as (apart from being much better in snow) they give a better ride than the original Continentals with negligible difference in handling.

I reckon those are a very fine tyre. I ran a set on a Zafira and in my opinion, the handling on those was actually better then on the Michelins which preceeded them. The Zafira normally suffers from pig-awful understeer and the grippier tyres seemed to significantly alleviate this. Less road noise too(!)

Downside is that they really need to be swapped at 3mm of tread, if that happens around winter time, to preserve the snow capability and the softer compounds used wear a bit more quickly. The advantage of seperate winters is that the summers can be run down to the limit and only the winters have to be changed at 3mm, getting a shade more life out of each full set of eight.

Now, whether the cost of swapping twice a year is greater or less than the cost of slightly shorter life is an interesting question. My guess would be that if you have two sets of wheels and swap/store them yourself, seperates win. If, on the other hand, you pay for swap/storage or swapping on one set of wheels, the all-seasons probably have it.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Kleber Quadraxer - Dabooka

I agree totally.

We put a set on our Nissan Note (1.4) which is used for tootlin' and commutin' and I've been well impressed; we're keeping them on all year, but then again it only does ~4k a year so it's worth it. However, we regularly get snowed in on our track with even relatively shallow snow fall and drifts (it's more the freezing temperatures which cause the issue). This winter I was able to crawl out no problem, leaving most other non 4x4 cars stuck behind.

And they're dirt cheap.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Kleber Quadraxer - Avant

I found it worthwhile to buy a set of 16" steel wheels (the standard alloys on mine are 18"). In my experience tyre shops will change wheels free of charge but changing tyres on wheels can cost £15-£20 a wheel.

If I were younger I would change the wheels myself, but certainly wouldn't change a tyre on a wheel.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Kleber Quadraxer - Piowolf

Perhaps I'm alone in despairing of new cars with hard ride?

Believe me, you are not. I'm having trouble choosing the right one for myself, I really don't know why they are doing that, it's really horrible.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Kleber Quadraxer - RicardoB

I'm also fed up of the fixation for "fashionable" (and expensive) low profile tyres. Mainly for the reason of the ride and the cost of replacement.

I've just sourced some new Renault 16" wheels in readiness to replace the 18" wheels and tyres on my Laguna coupe.

This has a firm suspension anyway, but the low profile tyres do no absorb the road imperfections. This causes the interior to rattle and bang a lot, as well as being a bit of a pain. My hope is that it will help turn the car into a more comfortable "cruiser" as opposed to full on "sporty" set up - which is what perhaps one would have expected of a nice French car in the past - more in the way of comfort.

I've not had a chance to get tyres yet but hope to in the near future.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Smileyman

I swapped 17" to 16" (using standard manufacturer alloys for the car) and the ride did improve, and as an added bonus the tyre price fell by approx 25-30%

The winter tyres I run give a more complaint but noisier ride than the summer tyres. Nokian WRG2 / Michelin HP Primacy - it's probably these Michelin tyres will get to end of life by the autumn, so next spring I'll have to repalce them, at present I'm not sure what I will select, it's too far in the future to consider now.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - RicardoB

Update from me.

Today I got around to replacing the 18" wheels and tyres on my Renault Laguna coupe to 16" ones.

I know that whenever you do anything like this, you will sub conscienciously tell yourself that you have done the right thing and noticed an improvement, if nothing else to prove yourself correct and also to justify the cost.

But, i'm sure I have!

As soon as I drove from walking pace upwards over the ruts and things in the forecourt then onto the road, the car was smoother and softer. Then once on the move properly, the tyres were quieter but crucially, the crashing and banging and shaking over our poor roads, was much reduced.

But the handling is still spot on. The suspension is firm on this car anyway, which is to be expected but now it is not uncomfortable. Also, nearly every bump in the road on the old 18" set up caused numerous bits of interior to rattle. Much reduced now!

So, we'll see how we get on. For your interest, the original wheels/tyres are 225x45x18. The new ones are 205x60x16.

The deeper tyre profiles do not look "out of place" on what is a lovely coupe design shape.

I hearby apply to Renault (and most other manufacturers) to advise them not to inflict the "sporty" aka fashionably expensive thin rubber and bigger blingy wheels on their customers, especially those who will never go on a race track and are past the boy racer stage!

And the cost - well each tyre is nigh-on £50 cheaper for the 16" ones. OK, I had to buy new wheels too but in the long run, the cost should be recouped.

Edited by RicardoB on 10/05/2013 at 21:38

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - gordonbennet

Its mainly here in Blighty RicardoB, only the other day i noticed a Belgian registered Merc E Class estate, new model W212, stood out a mile from all the UK ones as it appeared to have tyres (looked 15 or 16" 60 or 65 aspect) not rock solid elastic bands stretched round polished dustbin lids.

The problem being that unless the buyer specifies the base model, then the first 'improvement' to the next specs up the ladder is increasingly low profile tyres on ever larger wheels.

I know of some buyers who have managed to have their dustbin lids swapped over for sensible tyres when they have upspecced models, but people like this are rare most buyers want the world to know they could afford the better spec with the most bling and wheels are easy model identifiers.

Its like the no spare wheel scenario, its not the makers who need educating its the buying public, if they stopped buying into this the makers would soon change their tune, same applies to the vast fleets being sold as they reach 3 years old, no spare and/or 19" rubber bands no sale.

People say they want more sensible more basic cars, but they don't actually buy them, you only have to look here and other forums, unless its the top of the range stuffed to the gills with electric toys they are somehow not quite as desirable as the titanium or whatever is todays GhiaX.

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Avant

Spot on as usual, GB. It's definitely a British 'thing' to go for the upmarket version with extras that you don't really need. The French buy French cars and don't have trouble with them as they don't specify all the extra electric bits that go wrong.

I think it may have come fron the advent of company cars given according to people's grades: it meant something in the company hierarchy to have a Cortina XL rather than just the L. Before that you just had Standard and De luxe - the De luxe usually being worth having as the Standard really was basic, often with that ultimate penny-pinching meanness, deleting the passenger sun visor.

What we need, particularly in terms of wheels and tyres, is for manufacturers to be more flexible with the options list. Audi have made a start by offering the softer SE suspension as a no-cost option on the higher-up models: I suppose a dealer worth their salt and wanting a sale would be prepared to offer a choice of wheels and tyres. Has anyone tried this with a dealer?

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - unthrottled

What we need, particularly in terms of wheels and tyres, is for manufacturers to be more flexible with the options list.

Especially as more cars are being built to order nowadays. But smaller tyres would probably bump up the production costs to the manufacturer-which would then be added on to the list price. Not sure punters would be willing to pay more for 'less'...

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - mickeybay

RE Dealer offering choice of wheels/tyres

I tried it with 2 cars recently.

First with a Skoda Superb estate. Wanted the top spec, but not with the low profile tyres. Dealer one wouldn't swap to higher profile, said 'car was for sporty drivers'. Another dealer would swap, reluctantly.

Then I discovered they had a SE plus model, enough goodies and not the extra low profile tyres. Waiting for 2nd hand ones to appear.

Then VW dealer, wanted top spec Passat with non low profile. Salesman said it would void the warranty!! Now waiting for 2nd hand Highline models to appear.

Sigh, when will they learn? If I can mount higher profile winter tyres on smaller steel wheels, why can't they compromise???

Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - coopshere
It's mainly down to the deals the car manufacturer has with tyre companies. Tyre manufacturers supply car manufacturers with tyres at discount prices, the more money the tyre manufacturer can make from replacement tyres the more discount the car manufacturer gets from the tyre manufacturer. Bottom line is its not about customer satisfaction, more about profit.
Tyres Optimised for Ride Quality - Piowolf

Its mainly here in Blighty RicardoB,

I beg to differ, it's clearly the same all over the world,