Seat leon - Engine cutting out - Jakki

Last Septembe I bought a 12 Plate Seat Leon 1.6 Economtive. After a short while the engine started cutting out on me (not the normal automatic stop/start). Every time I took it in to the dealer, I was told that the fault was registering as a sensor fault. They never changed the sensor as they said there was nothing wrong with it, it was actually out of alignment which caused the engine to cut out whilst driving.

This is very scary and after several months of the car spending more time with them than with me they swopped it for another, same make, model and age. I was really pleased with the salesman who arranged this, although not pleased at all with the attitude of the service team.

So, in December, I drove away in my (nearly) new Seat Leon Ecomotive and to my horror, it is happening in this car.

The fault nearly always happens when in third gear and accelerating. However, in the first car it did happen once on a motorway when I was in 5th gear doing 65 ish.

On each occasion, I have to wait for the car to stop and turn the engine off befire it will restart.

The dealership where I bought the car have said that this has never happened before and they cannot understand why it has happened on two cars for me - the inference being that it must be me. My husband is now driving my car to see and it has happened to him.

It is booked in to go back in, but I have no faith in Leons anymore.

Following your article last week about the Golf losing power in third gear caused by sensor signals etc, I was wondering if there might be a connection.

HELP, HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE AND WHAT IS MY LEGAL POSITION

Edited by Jakki on 25/04/2013 at 12:50

Seat leon - Engine cutting out - barney100
Seems like the car has an inherent fault that the dealers can't fix. You've given them plenty of time to do a repair so it's up to you wether you keep on with them or reject the car altogether.
Seat leon - Engine cutting out - balleballe

Reject the car - get your money back.

Most importantly; stand your ground! the dealership know that you are in the right but will try and convince you otherwise

Seat leon - Engine cutting out - craig-pd130

So to be clear, the engine cuts out completely and is dead until you come to a halt and restart it?

If the dealer has been able to identify a 'sensor fault' but they never changed it, the problem lies with the dealer.

As BalleBalle said, I would instruct the dealer that you will give them this chance to fix the fault: if it is not fixed, you will reject the car as it has a dangerous fault, and you expect a full refund.

Sorry, I'm new to this type of communication - so I posted this reply to everyone, but it was aimed at your first comment

"One of you asked if the engine cuts out until I pull over and restart it - absolutely. It is the most scary and/or emarrassing experience, depending where it happens.

Without being rude to anyone, does anyone know that i can ask for my money back or is this your opinions.

To be honest, I told thiem this week I had had enough and that I wanted to get rid altogether. They offered me £2,000 less than I paid for mine, but wanted top price for the Astra that was considered a suitable alternative. The Astra was one year older and was going to cost an extra £1,500. I got up and walked out in disgust. However, the car is still booked in for them to attempt to fix"

I'm sure you'll get to see this twice now, but thanks for your interest anyway.

Seat leon - Engine cutting out - balleballe

It is called the 'sale of goods act' - google it

Goods have to be fit for purpose - end of!

I will, thanks

Thanks for everyone's responses.

One of you asked if the engine cuts out until I pull over and restart it - absolutely. It is the most scary and/or emarrassing experience, depending where it happens.

Without being rude to anyone, does anyone know that i can ask for my money back or is this your opinions.

To be honest, I told thiem this week I had had enough and that I wanted to get rid altogether. They offered me £2,000 less than I paid for mine, but wanted top price for the Astra that was considered a suitable alternative. The Astra was one year older and was going to cost an extra £1,500. I got up and walked out in disgust. However, the car is still booked in for them to attempt to fix.

Seat leon - Engine cutting out - daveyK_UK

Feel free to tell them you have sought advice from honest john!

It will get them moving

Edited by Avant on 26/04/2013 at 00:13