2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - jesus_man

I own a 2005 Ford Mondeo Estate 2.2l TDCi. The rear Caliper is causing the hand brake to stick on just the drivers side. I am trying to find the best place to source the parts for. My mechanic priced one out for me at 230 Euro (I'm in Germany)! I found one in the past on ebay.de but he says they are junk. Being new to the european car scene, I don't know where to be looking, what brands are good or bad. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Side question - rear shocks need replaced. They are clearly hydraulic as one is leaking oil fairly severly. In my searches here for rear calipers, I came across a thread about a self leveling suspension, which I don't think my car has, but before I order shocks, How do I confirm that??

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - elekie&a/c doctor

Rear calipers on these are a common failure.These are easily available in the uk for less than £100 from most motor factors as reconditioned units.(Try brake-eng.com)As for the shocks,most of the estate models have self-leveling shocks.Take a look under the car, on those fitted with self levellers ,the shocks are much fatter at the top ,compared to a standard damper.These are only available from Ford at over £200 each.It is possible to fit standard shocks ,but you will need to replace the rear springs also.hth

I am learning that there are a few weak links in these Mondeos. ;-)

I'll contact the webste you recommend and hope they can help me.

As for the shocks, I don't know what normal would be. They appear to be normal looking, but I could just as easily be wrong. My mechanic ordered shocks based on my model number of the car (some number he pulls off the registration). So I guess it should be correct. Based on how the car squats when I load the rear with gear, I don't think it has auto leveling. However I do have Xenon headlamps, so I don't know how that all works. It is a Ghia package.

Thanks for the help. I'll post any progress.

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - Cyd

I am learning that there are a few weak links in these Mondeos. ;-)

I'll contact the webste you recommend and hope they can help me.

As for the shocks, I don't know what normal would be. They appear to be normal looking, but I could just as easily be wrong. My mechanic ordered shocks based on my model number of the car (some number he pulls off the registration). So I guess it should be correct. Based on how the car squats when I load the rear with gear, I don't think it has auto leveling. However I do have Xenon headlamps, so I don't know how that all works. It is a Ghia package.

Thanks for the help. I'll post any progress.

The self levelling doesn't become active till you drive. So you will see the rear squat when you dump a load in the back. It'll pump up within a short distance of driving off.

If you've got xenons you've probably get self levelling suspension. It is a legal requirement that xenons must have a built in self levelling mechanism or the car must self level using the suspension. Obviously if a manufacturer fits self levelling suspension then th eheadlights needn't have self levelling motors (cutting the cost of the light units). Another example of this would be Land Rovers with air suspension.

I wonder then if the previous owner replaced with the wrong shocks as I don't see anything special about the current ones intalled. And if they are leaking oil, they are not air right?

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - gordonbennet

These are only available from Ford at over £200 each.It is possible to fit standard shocks ,but you will need to replace the rear springs also.hth

Sounds like Ford took a leaf out of the Volvo 7/9 series estate handbook there, identical set up.

Fortunately you could by the correct Boge shockers for the Ovlov from any factors but all eye watering prices.

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - Collos25

Look on German Ebay or KFZ24

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - Cyd

simply typing in "mondeo estate rear caliper" into ebay.co.uk search came back with 189 results. the second of which comes from Germany! lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALIPER-REAR-RIGHT-JAGUAR-X-TYPE-CF1-ESTATE-2-0-3-0-FROM-2001-/370787534757?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AMondeo&hash=item5654a8c7a5

I did look there. The catch is I need a Left Rear and no one seems to have any. And my German isn't good enough to look at the German sites.

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - TeeCee

>> And my German isn't good enough to look at the German sites.

Have you tried using Google Chrome and letting it translate on the fly? Works well enough for most things.

I have used google translate, which I have to believe is the same, however for this site it doesn't change much, if anything. Probably because the words are images instead of text??

2005 Ford Mondeo Estate - Sources for good rear caliper - Collos25

If you cannot translate such a simple item how do you survive in Germany ,go to ATU they are all over Germany most staff speak English but you can always point,Brakes = Bremse Rear = Hintern Left= Links Caliper = Sattel.

Edited by Collos25 on 17/04/2013 at 10:31

Thanks Collos. I have talked to a couple other shops and finding out that a good quality replacement is not cheap. 230 Euro for one caliper has me thinking how much I need a hand-brake...