Jaguar x type - Corrosion - tony g
www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/jwm/YaBB.pl?num=13...4

Hi all ,
I've recently been looking for a cheap runabout and decided on either a BMW 3 ,merc c ,or a jaguar x type .Depending on a price up to £3000 and mileage less than 100k.
Other than that manual or auto would be fine ,petrol preferred but diesel ok.leather if possible .

I finally agreed to buy an x type from e bay ,2003 with a new mot 77000 miles with history ,price £1650.

As always I do a VOSA check before I buy a car to check the mileage .With the jag the mileage was ok ,but a month before the car passed its current test ,it failed at a different garage on extensive corrosion in both sills and in the McPherson strut mounting .i cancelled the purchase because I didn't want a car that was so badly corroded and may not have been properly repaired .Or had a dodgy mot .

I googled x type corrosion as above and it seems to be a massive problem on x types ,some of the pictures are horrendous ,more like cars from the 70s than the 00s .
Have any other members come across this.

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - gordonbennet

Blimey Tony that takes you back a bit, but then rust hasn't gone away its just better covered than it used to be by things like those sill covers.

I'm the first to condemn owners too bone idle to wash their cars underneath after a thorough soaking, especially after the salt has gone, particularly round the wheelarches but apart from dismantling half the car difficult to see what one could reasonbly do in this case unless you were a real rust prevention enthusiast. And got down to waxoyling etc.

From the look of that corrosion i would say its been perforated for at least 5 years.

Not as simple a job as it looks either, the inner sections of the sills are perforated too, in order to get the original strength back new inserts as well as outer sills will be needed, and thats without removing the carpets and treads andf checking the inner sill covers which will most likely be just as bad.

Rover P6's used to go like this, and in most cases as i suspect will happen with most X Type Mondeos, the inner sections will be left festering and new outer sills welded on, or worse plated, covers replaced, lick of paint and hey presto a perfect car....that has lost a serious amount of body strength.

Most people would have a shock if they looked properly under their cars, under the plastic covers, i can't resist chucking when i read how modern cars don't rust anymore and peope really do believe it.

Eventually my old '96 MB will require a full strip down and refurb if i keep it past 2016, had it 10 years now.

Not only does it have full sill covers, but the bottom half of the doors and rear quarters (its a 2 door coupe) are covered too, i dread to think what lurks under there.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/04/2013 at 17:54

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - madf

When our 16 year old Peugeot 106 was written off by a crash, the front wheel arch cover was broken and torn away. The bodywork underneath was perfect. Pity that round the rear - junction rear wheel arch to floor - on the spare wheel well - rusts badly on all 106s.

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - daveyK_UK

Hyundai/Kia use to be bad for rust and corrosion.

Fiat still use fully galvanised bodies I am told.

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - jc2

I once owned a Fiat;the PARTS that were galvanized were excellent.

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - craig-pd130

Those sills look like a mid-70s MGB! The sills on these were notorious for rotting with their complex sandwich structure, but rebuilt ones that have actually had a wave of the Waxoyl / Dinitrol wand usually don't rust again -- it was Leyland penny-pinching rather than a design flaw.

It must be a failure of the Jaguar factory rustproofing process, or inadequate drains in the sill structure.

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - John F

-- it was Leyland penny-pinching rather than a design flaw.

I think the original steel was poor quality - perhaps an expert could tell us? I wonder if I have the only TR7 left with original sills and wheel arches? It was 'Ziebarted' originally and I've had it since 9 months old. For the first few years I was often dealing with tiny spots of rust which appeared to bubble up from under the paint, but in the last decade or two there has been nothing much at all. It had a full rub down and respray about twenty years ago - no more rust bubbles since then.

However, it does live in a dry garage and I always take the positive battery terminal off after use.

Why have cheap Peugeot 309s not rotted yet expensive 90's Mercedes [and apparently Jaguars] done so?

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - craig-pd130

About 10 years ago I spotted a real time-capsule, late 70s Alfasud. I wondered how on earth it had survived over 20 years on British roads, until I got closer and saw the Ziebart golden helmet sticker :-)

Good rustproofing can protect even high-carbon steel, it seems!

Jaguar x type - Corrosion - daveyK_UK
If you want to here about premature corrosion and rust, I suggest you speak to your local Nissan/Suzuki service centre about the Pixo/latest Alto.

The quality of the paint work from the Indian factory leaves alto to be desired.

Cars with serious corrosion at 18 months old!