VW Passat 07 2.0TDI (DSG) - Searching for battery drain but now nothing works - Ed62

Dear H-J (and forum gurus), first post so please excuse any etiquette mistakes (also, sorry it's a bit long but I wanted to supply as much info as poss.)

I have a 2007 Passat 2.0 TDI with DSG

I noticed recently (particularly during the cold weather) that if I

left the car for 4 days without use the battery would be almost dead

(certainly not enough charge to successfully turn over the engine !!).

I suspected a parasitic drain, so I went looking for it with my multi-meter and removing the fuses in the engine compartment one at a time. It has the "lower" type box (i.e. the type with the fewer number of fuses) and indeed there seemed to be a ~550mA drain (about right for a flat battery in about 4-days). Unfortunately I was not able to isolate the drain and when I went to restart the car, there was absolutely nothing (although the clock "0:00" and the mileage indicator did light) The doors lock and unlock and the interior light comes on and goes off as expected. But NONE of the instrument indicators light up.

I definitely let the battery disconnect a number of times, not enough

hands :-(

NB Every time I reconnected the battery I got a small spark, is that normal? and the 500mA drain... which sometimes faded after a number of seconds, but always re-surfaced later on

Have I put a fuse back in the wrong slot?

AND/OR

Have I activated some safety/anti-theft feature?

I've tried to find a diagram of the fuse-box without luck (the manual only indicates what a few of the fuses are for). Is there a specific fuse I should be looking for in this instance? (obviously I appreciate that they all need to be correct)

Please help.

Ed62 ("muppet" for not noting fuse positions in the first place)

VW Passat 07 2.0TDI (DSG) - Searching for battery drain but now nothing works - Peter.N.

Are you sure that your battery is good, have you checked the voltage across it under load? The fact that you have a spark when you connect it is OK as the electronics have capacitors across them which can cause this. If you battery has frequently been run flat it could have expired.

Has the car had any aftermarket equipment fitted e.g. a radio, that can upset the ECU.

VW Passat 07 2.0TDI (DSG) - Searching for battery drain but now nothing works - Ed62

battery was absolutely fine in the morning. No after-market bits added (car is completely standard)

VW Passat 07 2.0TDI (DSG) - Searching for battery drain but now nothing works - dieselnut

Suspect you have a fuse in the wrong position. Unused fuse holders don't have a metal tag in the holder usually. Hope this link is helpfull:- sites.google.com/site/1810martin/passat-b6-fuse-as...t

Dieselnut thanks for that,

link was very useful indeed!! In the engine compartment I had fuse 9 in position 4 :-(

Rule no.1 of diy.........know what you had in the first place before messing it up !!

VW Passat 07 2.0TDI (DSG) - Searching for battery drain but now nothing works - dieselnut

Pleased you got it sorted ok. Think we have all remembered Rule No 1 at some time when it's too late.

Did you get to the bottom of the current drain. It's often cause by someone fitting the Bluetooth accessory wrong, wiring it to a permanent 12v rather than switched supply.