Hyundai Trajet - Reliable? - wolfgirl
Has anyone any experience of Hyundai trajets? Going to view one today, 2004, 80,000 miles. £2000.

Can't find a huge amount for sale online so presumed its because they are reliable, but I guess it could also mean because people scrap them.

Also, I know to check oil/rust etc but don't really have a clue when looking at engines. A lot of cars I've viewed recently the engines have been filthy with oil everywhere and sometimes rust which I presume isn't so good. But in beginning to think the last car I bought had the engine cleaned as it was spotless. But that didn't stop the head gasket cracking, even with a full service history after ownership of one year.

Any info on make/model and what to look for would be great thanks :)
Hyundai Trajet - Reliable? - Collos25

You will not find many Trajets anywhere becauase they sold so few people prefered their sister companies Carnival much more versatile.Trajets were plagued with serious mechanical problems and suffer from rust.

Hyundai Trajet - Reliable? - RT

Have a look at the HJ Car Review section www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/trajet-2000/?

More refined than the Kia Sedona (aka Carnival) which has the distinction of being the only Kia which retained it's Kia platform - all other Kia's are rebodied onto Hyundai platforms - because Hyundai didn't sell an MPV after 2006.

Corrosion was an issue on rear suspension trailing arms but a recall was done and Hyundai is still replacing those that slipped the net FOC despite being years out of warranty in some cases.

Thanks. I've been checking out reviews before I go. But as with any car some people rate it low and hate it, others rate high and love it. How can you tell!

I'm not fussed about it loosing stars because it looks ugly or doesn't have a lot of power. It'll be mainly town driving. the space would also be excellent for what I do.

I also dont mind paying a little at the start for repairs etc.

I can't find any car near me in my price range that has no bad reviews. Every car seems to have known problems and/or looks in an awful condition when I view.

I always presumed Hyundai being Japanese where seen as being more reliable.

Hyundai are Korean, not Japanese - but they do adopt all the Japanese methodologies and are now where the Japanese brands were just a few year back.

The Hyundai-Kia group is the 3rd biggest car manufacturer in the world, ie excluding trucks, and have the biggest car factory in the world - they also make their own steel and the ships that bring them here!

Oh sorry :D I found a page on ranking Japanese cars and Hyundai was on the list :D Learn something new.
Hyundai Trajet - Reliable? - veloster

Hyundai is korean not japanese.in terms of reliabilty we have had 4 hyundai in our household and they have never let us down.part ex our X2 at 10 years old and it never failed a mot.,as with any second hand car it all depends on how well the car has been looked after by the previous owners,so when viewing older cars ask to see bills for work that has been done,

Thanks. I've got a friend that raves about Hyundai too. As with any make there seem to be people who love it and also hate it.

I'll be viewing a 2002 vauxhall Zafira while there too.
Doing a bit if googling I can't find much to back up lots of mechanical problems or being plagued with rust?

I presume rust if bad would come up on mot advisories. It will be fully serviced and mot before any purchase.

I guess I'll just have to go view it. I only really need it to last around 3 years. All my previous second hand cars died from rust at 15 years old, I bought at 10 years old. This car is now 9 years old.

Hyundai Trajet - Reliable? - Chris M

Have a look at the MoT Results page on this site and compare a 2004 Trajet with a 2002 Zafira. Some of those scores for the Trajet would concern me. Perhaps not enough to put me off, but I'd want someone who knew what they were looking at to give any prospective purchase the once over.

Thanks, had a good look round that. Still unsure though.

I've found a Kia carens diesel 04 with fsh. Know nothing about Kia except what was mentioned above.

Anyone have any experience with that make?

It's a mk2 Carens which is pure Kia, ie nothing from Hyundai in it.

Hyundai Trajet - Reliable? - thunderbird

Kia and Hyundai share many parts just like VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat. The engines are transmissions are identical in many models and the newer cars are simply rebodied to suit the brand. Kia Picanta and Hyundai i10, Kia Rio and Hyundai i20, Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30, Kia Venga and Hyundai ix20, Kia Sportage and Hyundai, ix35, Kia Optima and Hyundai i40, get the idea.

We have a Ceed, great car.

But the car you are looking at is 9 years old. Condition is far more important than brand. At that age you would be very lucky to get a perfectly reliabe car. Most owners are selling them because there are issues.

That's a good point. And my main worry I guess.

Guess I'll go look at them both and think about it from there. Fsh must be a plus. Then again saying that my current car had fsh and 1 year later head gasket cracked.

Kia and Hyundai share many parts just like VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat. The engines are transmissions are identical in many models.

Not at the age being considered by the OP.

Is that good then, or bad? Or not either as they are all old?

At the age you're looking at both Hyundai and Kia were good value brands if uninspiring.

Thanks for all the help in this thread everyone :)