Doh! Snow moment. - unthrottled

Ok, setting off with the roof covered in snow isn't sensible. But everyone has done it at least once. You only only find out why it is silly when you've done it.

In a similar vein, I overtook an over-cautious driver yesterday. The road surface was covered in snow but had tramways of clear tarmac. Manoeuvre started without a problem, accelerated briskly past the hinderance...

...and then realised that crossing the the 'central reservation' of snow was going to be considerably more daunting at 40mph than it was at 20. Trapped on the wrong side of the road. Rats!

Any other examples of snow driving that seemed ostensibly sensible, but turned out to be ill-advised?

Doh! Snow moment. - Cyd

Back in the late 80's I was driving a rally in January up in the North East. There was about a foot of snow generally and 4-6 feet drifts on many roads. We went prepared with M&S tyres.

The roads weren't too bad to drive on actually, the fresh snow was quite grippy. However one stage had the finish on a tank range. As the range had been in use, the roads were sheet ice. We came round the last bend and span. We then pirouetted about 80m across the finish line (actually crossing backwards) but kept going for about another 100m. My Nav got out, puked and then ran back to get the time card marked.

We won a pot that night. And scrapped and dented just about every body panel except the roof, lol.

Doh! Snow moment. - bathtub tom

First time I ever drove a Mini.

Fixed the MIL's broken fan belt and took it out for a test drive. Up until then I'd only ever experienced RWD and cross plies (A35 etc). The roads were covered in compacted snow.

I thought these Minis don't half have some grip, until a downhill section to a T junction.

Fortunately there was nothing else about and the driveway of the house opposite had several inches of virgin snow.

Doh! Snow moment. - thunderbird

"I overtook an over-cautious driver yesterday. The road surface was covered in snow but had tramways of clear tarmac. Manoeuvre started without a problem, accelerated briskly past the hinderance...

...and then realised that crossing the the 'central reservation' of snow was going to be considerably more daunting at 40mph than it was at 20. Trapped on the wrong side of the road. Rats!"

Almost identical thing happened to me probably 20 years ago. Following a slow moving car on a snowy road with tramways of clear tarmac, no way to get passed even though it was safe to travel at least few mph faster. The road passed between a wooded area on either side and the road was completely clear of snow, passed car with no issue until I realised we were out of the wooded area and back to tramlines, getting back across was a propper bum clenching moment.

Doh! Snow moment. - craig-pd130

My road is largely level, apart from a short (200 yard) 1 in 6 hill which goes up from the main road. One very snowy day a couple of years back, I was coming home from work. The snow was laying thickly, so I knew I'd have a single chance to get up the hill.

I turned right off the main road -- no oncoming traffic, so able to maintain momentum -- and started up the hill at low revs and steady throttle in second.

Blast! There's a car parked on the road on my side. Double blast! I can see headlights approaching the brow of the hill. I carry on, hoping the other driver has the nous and courtesy to realise that it's easier for them to come down the hill than it is for me to come up.

The driver has neither the nous nor the courtesy, and keeps coming. I'm now halfway up the hill and approaching the parked car. I lift off, and change to first gear, trying to maintain any vestiges of forward motion. After what seems like an eternity, the approaching car passes.

I'm still crawling forward with no throttle, just relying on the anti-stall in the Mondeo. I daren't touch the throttle as I know I'll get instant wheelspin and lose momentum. I can feel the wheels slipping slightly and catching, slipping slightly and catching. I'm willing the car onward.

It lumbers to within 10 yards of the brow of the hill, and drifts to a halt, the front wheels still gently churning with the anti-stall in first gear. I can't face turning around and going back down the hill, so in a moment of either clarity or reckless stupidity, I unhook the seatbelt, jump out the car and start pushing using the A-pillar.

Bizarrely, my puny efforts start the car inching forward again. After a few heaves, the front wheels hit a thinner patch of snow and bite: the anti-stall does its thing and the car jerks up to 4mph again. With a step and a swing I'm back in the seat and heading the last half mile home.

And that is how I singlehandedly pushed a 1.6 tonne Mondeo up a hill in the snow :)

Doh! Snow moment. - unthrottled

That is a brilliant idea Craig. I'm going to bank that one!

Doh! Snow moment. - hillman

One of my friends told me of the evening when he was going to work down a hill that had a couple of bends with a row of back to back semis between them. My friend was riding a Lambretta scooter and had a work-mate on pilion. The two hill parts were slippery but the bends were sheet ice. My friend related how he was going slowly and he and his passenger had their feet down sliding merrily along. Then he heard a motorcycle batting down the hill, trying to turn with the bend but carrying on straight. The rider kept it all together, down the path of a house, through the back gardens, down the path of the house behind and then on down the hill.