2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - P1800

Hi all,

I'm 20 years old, virtually finished university, and was looking specifically for a used Seat Ibiza 1.2 SX (2004-2006) as my first car, having passed my test 3 years ago, without driving since. I found that to purchase this Ibiza (or equivalent base 1.2 model) I would be looking to pay at least £2,000 - £2,500 for one in good+ condition, with below 70,000 mileage. Generally, I would be looking at paying around £2,500 (They aren't cheap and I suppose these cars in this economic climate are popular). Add on top of this purchase price my cheapest insurance quote (Around £850 fully comp) and tax, and you have already spent around £3,500 before you can begin to use the throttle, yet alone the possibility of oncoming MOTs , maintenance etc.

Now, I have been offered my grandparents 'X' reg Volvo S40 XS 1.6 for FREE, with 70k on the clock, 2 careful owners and in overall very good condition, (the kind you might expect from a Volvo driver). The cheapest insurance quote to my surprise was Admiral -- a very competitive £1,100 -- not a million miles away from the 1.2 Seat for such a big and and powerful car (at least for a first car), with other quotes not far behind. Having already been offered help with paying insurance costs too, this seems almost like free motoring, with the need to just add fuel and pay maintenance costs. I understand that this isn't the car you'd normally associate a 20 year old with driving but Are there any problems/questions I need to address/ask when I take ownership of this vehicle? Of course, with my grandparents buying a newer Volvo, they've said if I don't like it (or can't handle it) I could get rid of it after a few months but is giving it a chance a sensible option?

2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - Collos25

Certainly

2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - RT

Go for it!

At your level of experience the insurance quotes aren't that far apart, the Volvo's VED will probably be higher as will fuel costs but the £2000-2500 you've saved will last you quite a while.

2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - Alby Back

An old Volvo can be kinda cool. Way more so than a ubiquitous hatchback in my opinion. Go for it !

2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - 72 dudes

Definitely! It'll be a lot nicer to drive than an Ibiza too!

Don't worry about silly comments about a 20 year old driving a Volvo. In a way you'll be being cool by driving an allegedly uncool car, but you'll have the last laugh.

Thanks for comments. I'm not at all bothered about the image of a Volvo for my age -- like people have said it defies the typical convention of a boy racer in a shopping trolley;

Only concern is i'm yet to drive it -- probably won't get the chance until late April, so its just anxiety that it will be more difficult to drive around central Birmingham/outskirts than say a nippy, small, 1.2 hatchback -- still yet to see what steering, brakes etc are like, i'm sure it is very different compared with the 2009 Corsa Diesel I passed my test in! Also the dimensions look a big scarey but hopefully it shouldn't take too long to get used to.

Edited by Bluenose20 on 23/03/2013 at 19:56

2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - RicardoB

Deffo go for it as others have said.

Comfy car and also more solid than Ibiza et al.

And a V40 is not that big - only about Astra/Focus size.

Edited by RicardoB on 23/03/2013 at 21:05

2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - Avant

It's also extremely solid and will protect you if you have an accident, which I hope never happens.

When you get it, take it for some journeys of reasonably length out of town, to get used to it and also do the car some good if it's been doing a lot of short trips with your grandparents. It won't be as nippy as a SEAT 1.2 - that's quite a big heavy car for a 1.6 engine - but you should find performance adequate.

I appreciate its a very solid car. Will definitely give it a chance and just hope I can get used to driving it without any problems, quite excited to be starting off in such a car

2000 Volvo S40 XS 1.6 - Bobbin Threadbare

Enjoy the Volvo - they aren't unwieldy and it's not going to be too powerful with a 1.6L engine; just what you want insurance-wise at your age. If you can learn to manoeuvre it and park it well, most other cars will seem a doddle because they'll be smaller....

Mate of mine at uni drove a Skoda Octavia estate - he canoe-d so he needed to be able to put all of his canoeing kit in the car. Never was he mocked; his car was comfortable and roomy, unlike the little Corsas, AXs and Kas everyone else had.