Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - brydo_h
New to the board so be nice,

At Aprils end I'll have £5500 max to get a decent second hand car & trading in my 03 corsa along with it, ( so looking at £6k -£6.3k range)
Currently driving 11-12k per year,
Am I best with a diesel? What models should I be looking to avoid etc?

Any advice appreciated,

Live in paisley area
Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - AndyT

Have you thought about buying new? In particular a Dacia Sandero, no bells or whistles, but think of it as a cheap Clio.

Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - Avant

Have a look at a Dacia: it would be a basic model, so if you want a few more bells and whistles, your choice of Fiesta and Mazda 2 are good ones, as are the VW Polo, Skoda Fabia and Toyota Yaris. Go for the bigger engine size if possible: each of these cars has particular characteristics that may suit you depending on your priorities, and all of them are better than another Corsa.

You can find good used French cars, but it's more of a gamble as they are more vulnerable to neglect or abuse by a previous owner.

I'd go for a petrol if I were you: a dlesel of the same vintage is likely to cost more, and when they go wrong it's expensive.

Cheers for replies guys, appreciated,
Reason I'm thinking diesel is cheap tax & mpg
Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - Andrew-T

Never buy brand new unless you feel that you must have a full warranty - unless you know someone in the vehicle business who can fix an insider price. Let the rental companies handle the initial depreciation for you. There should be a good choice of 10K-mile+ cars at a reputable supermarket e.g Fords of Winsford - check their website.

All modern small cars are basically styling variations on a simple theme, so go for whatever badge you don't feel embarrassed with. Oh - and for that level of use, petrol unless you are environmentally green.

Edited by Andrew-T on 19/03/2013 at 15:15

Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - John Boy

Avant said: "You can find good used French cars, but it's more of a gamble as they are more vulnerable to neglect or abuse by a previous owner."

I've read this statement several times now in this forum. Why are French cars more vulnerable than any others?

I've read this statement several times now in this forum. Why are French cars more vulnerable than any others?

Most often electrics it seems. Nearly all the cars I have bought in the last 25 years have been French (specifically Pug) - I must have always been lucky, as I don't claim to be a brilliantly pernickety buyer. French diesels are better regarded than petrols.

But cars seem to lead very easily to prejudices based on experiences with samples of one, or possibly two, cars. After such misfortunes all French (enter country of choice) cars are tainted.

Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - mss1tw

Most often electrics it seems.

How do you neglect or abuse the electrical system? I've never had to change the headlight oil, or re-wire a car. ;-) :-P

Obviously wiring and componments does degrade and classic cars may need re-wiring.

But I've never had any electrical faults on the two French vehicles I've owned though. (Current Berlingo and a 306 back in 2005)

Andrew-t

As above I fancied the diesel for £30 tax & better mpg

Seen a pug 207 1.4 hdi for 5875

Acceptable?

Edited by brydo_h on 19/03/2013 at 21:10

Seen a pug 207 1.4 hdi for 5875 - Acceptable?

I couldn't possibly comment on just one car, but I'm sure someone out there in the trade will say if the price looks right, even without knowing the age or mileage :-)

I am happy with my 08 207 SW HDi 1.6 which gives no trouble, so on the basis of my sample of one, go ahead if you like it and it has a maintenance history. 60+mpg, by the way.

Cheers for advice mate, going to see a different 207 tomorrow, more expensive by £100 but the last place the guy wasnt for budging on one pence off sticker price!
Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - daveyK_UK

DACIA SANDERO 1.2 MID SPEC £6600

ITS A NO BRAINER

Clio, 207, mazda2, fiesta?? - Decent car £6k max, petrol or diesel? - balleballe

Wife Bought a 3 year old mazda 2 1.3TS2 petrol for around 5k.

Its a nippy car, if my requirements were different I wouldnt mind having one myself.

Around town it gets around 40mpg and motorway driving between 70-80 it gets around 47mpg.