Peugeot 307 SW - Advice on high-mileage Peugeot - Jacoby

Hi,

This is my first post after spending awhile on the site reading reviews etc.

I have seen a nice Peugeot 307 SW - 2.0HDI SE, on a 55 plate. This was on Autotrader and it looks ok in the photos. I appreciate a viewing is needed. However my issue is that it has done 152,000 miles. The advert says 1 owner and regular services at a main dealer and its on for £1,980

I've had Pugs in the past and we have had a 307 before. I'm looking to trade in my Focus ST170 in as we need a more economical car and room for a baby, but I digress.

What are peoples views on the mileage? Should I stay clear or is it worth a look? I do on average 15k a year and daily commute is 30mins each way (in good traffic).

Thanks

Edited by Jacoby on 14/03/2013 at 11:46

Peugeot 307 SW - Advice on high-mileage Peugeot - Fernando P

I think that it is far too expensive given the advertised mileage. Unless you are capable of doing the mechanical work on the vehicle that is to be expected in 1-2 years as the mileage increases - keep well away.

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling I should walk away but wanted some advice. Seems the search must go on!

I've seen another 54 plate example (1.6 HDI) with 91,000 and thats on for £2,390 which seems high? What would be a fair price for a car of this age/mileage?

Peugeot 307 SW - Advice on high-mileage Peugeot - Collos25

The 1.6hdi engine is very capable of very high mileages I have had this engine in two 407 sw with absolutely no problems but if I were you I would seriously look at petrol versions they cost less have far less bolt ons to go wrong and in the UK where petrol is much cheaper than diesel you will find over a couple of years of ownership very little difference in costs.

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the diesels because of the lower car tax rates as the petrols do seem higher but as you say they have less to go wrong.

Peugeot 307 SW - Advice on high-mileage Peugeot - bazza

At that kind of mileage, there are lots of potential bills,particularly with modern diesels, any of which can bite you and wipe out fuel savings. Example: 2 colleagues have just spent around £1000 each on particle filters on 4 to 5 year old cars. Collos is right,for around 2K, you can pick up any number of decent petrol 40mpg cars, and if you go for a reliable make and/or something straightforward to fix, you should see some savings. A Civic or Corolla for example.

The other option is to buy so cheap that when a big bill comes along, scrapping it becomes viable, i am thinking of this route myself, as big petrol cars are now so cheap!

Peugeot 307 SW - Advice on high-mileage Peugeot - daveyK_UK

The 307 is notorious for being a problem car, there are so many alternatives, why a 307?