Iveco daily 3.0 - Possible head gasket failure - mikeandvan

Hi all, just bought an 06 plate daily, I know this is mostly a car forum but my question is pretty universal motors wise. There is constantly greyish cream under my oil cap - sign of dreaded head gasket 'failure' or 'blown' or whatever. I'm bringing it to my local garage tomorrow - they think its ok but they're going to do a 'sniff' test on it,they claim this is 98% reliable as you whether you have a cracked head gasket, is this the case, as I'm afraid I've just wasted 5k on this van,thanks in advance for any advice. Just to be clear there is no gunk on dipstick or any other probs except for slight vibration in steering wheel - but this could be normal I'm guessing,temperature is fine, what else could cause this gunk to gather around oil cap as it never happens on my other van - also a daily.

Iveco daily 3.0 - Possible head gasket failure - Collos25

Short runs is the biggest culprit, mayo in the engine is a sign of many things or a sign of nothing.If it uses no water ,runs at the correct temp and the heater works ok answer yes to these and there is no problem with the cylinder head gasket.

thankyou mate,havn't had the van long so don't know how much water it uses yet, anyway,garage are doing sniff test tomorrow so we'll see then,but my other iveco doesn't have this issue, and it had this 'mayo' around the oil cap last week when I first bought it after a 100 mile run,so you can rule short journeys out.

Iveco daily 3.0 - Possible head gasket failure - Simon
It could be that the previous owner used it on short runs, it will take a while to clear if this is the case. Or maybe it is just one of those things with that engine if your other one is the same. I wouldn't worry if you have no sign of any other symptoms.

Edited by Simon on 14/03/2013 at 08:32

garage did a sniff test,says its fine, had a full service too, so we'll see if the new oil still has the same issue,thanks.

Iveco daily 3.0 - Possible head gasket failure - wafer
Could be moisture coming in a breather / vent pipe. I have had this happen on a car and it was a cut in a breather pipe where it was pulling cold damp air.

thanks I'll bear that in mind.

been driving the van for about a month now, and lo and behold, the water tank is at min level, when a month ago it was at max, no other symptoms, any ideas what would cause this, temp is fine, power is fine.

Iveco daily 3.0 - Possible head gasket failure - Peter.N.

I wouldn't worry to much about the water loss at the moment, if you fill it right up it will always use some. Have a look round the filler cap and breather pipe for signs of dry antifreeze, coolant being blown out is a sign of a leaking gasket. Keep an eye on the level if it empties completely you have a problem, although it may only be a leak. If the h/g was leaking badly you would have known about it in less than a month.

My old van used no coolant at all.