It's a General ? (2005 Honda Accord 2.4 L Type-S) - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - Ron Griffin

Subject which wouldn't fit: Any actual data on lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries (EFBs) in Standard (not Stop-Start) Cars?

Pardon the intrusion from across the pond, but EFBs are just starting to be retailed in the US. And this forum was recommended.

The EFBs tout enhancements like 1.5-2 greater "cycles" etc. Have the impression that EFBs have been more common in the UK for much longer. Presume people must use them in standard cars, too. (Especially as there is no question of whether or not there is a need to adjust charging in older vehicles to be better aware of an AGM.)

Is there any real data on their operational lifetimes in regular cars? (Perhaps especially those that sit or only take short-trips.) Seems paying a bit more, for significantly(?) longer life, might figure favorably in cost/value.

Would appreciate any comment.

It's a General ? (2005 Honda Accord 2.4 L Type-S) - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - RT

I doubt you'll find any actual statistics - it's all about marketing hype.

For a car without stop-start I'd just fit the largest conventional lead-acid battery that'll fit, sourced from a recognisable brand.

Over my nearly 60 years of car ownership I've found that usage pattern affects battery life far more that type or reputation - I've had a Vauxhall (GM) OE battery from Delphi last 14 years while a Subaru OE battery from Panasonic only lasted 2 years.

It's a General ? (2005 Honda Accord 2.4 L Type-S) - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - Brit_in_Germany

No doubt the battery lasts 50% longer and they charge 100% more.

It's a General ? (2005 Honda Accord 2.4 L Type-S) - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - skidpan

For a car without stop-start I'd just fit the largest conventional lead-acid battery that'll fit, sourced from a recognisable brand.

Not as simple as that. Our Focus (no stop start) used a Calcium battery which could charge at a much higher voltage than lead-acid. Use lead acid on that car and it would soon be useless.

Fit what the manufacturer fits.

And remember that physical size means nothing. The 063 I use on the Caterham is available in a large choice of capacities which are all identical sizes. I currently use a Yuasa 5000 which is about as good as it gets (7 years old in June).

It's a General ? - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - Ron Griffin

Very much appreciate your taking time to comment.

For me, this was mostly a question about practical use for an improvement in an old technology. If of interest, my specific vehicle which was for many years a 150km daily commuter car, no longer achieves that distance in one month. The well-exercised batteries did last longer, but with current usage, a battery never quite approaches a full charge.

Marketing certainly adds confusion. Virtually all (re-branded) batteries here are made by 3 manufacturers. Most sellers offer a Good-Better-Best sequence of increasing listed CCA, increasingly long warranty, and increasing price. (Some suspect they are the same battery and the offered warranty-length determines the selling price.)

As an example, my (BCI) battery size is 51R. It matches size code 053 (238mmLx129Wx223mmH) in a UK list, but those appear rated low at 380 CCA.

At the only local nationwide-chain parts store, the EFB version is sold for 10-15% more than the standard 500 CCA battery. Automobile-dealer parts-departments price the standard flooded about 10% higher than that.

Perhaps I am spending a bit too much time thinking about "value" in this case - about half the members at my usual online auto forum declare they simply replace the starter-battery every 3 years as routine maintenance.

For what it's worth, so far EFBs here (Exide) are being priced for retail sale nearly the same as AGMs. A competing manufacturer (Clarios) which certainly sells EFBs (at least to auto-makers), on their website touts AGMs as far superior. Perhaps older vehicles will keep to standard lead-acid, and EFBs are destined go the way of Betamax...

Edited by Ron Griffin on 10/04/2024 at 09:17

It's a General ? - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - elekie&a/c doctor
Something you need to consider, is that most modern cars use some type of “smart charge” system, where the alternator voltage can rise to a level slightly higher than a regular system. On Fords , this can be up to 15.8 volts . That’s why it’s important to use the correct battery type . Also a new battery often needs registration to the power management system so that the generator can charge at optimum performance. As for battery warranty, any 3,4 or 5 year guarantee , you’re basically paying an extra insurance. All the batteries are the same internally. It’s just the case may be a different colour.
It's a General ? - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - skidpan
All the batteries are the same internally. It’s just the case may be a different colour.

A Yuasa 063 3000 series with a 3 year warranty is substantially lighter than a Yuasa 063 5000 series with a 5 year warranty.

Must be more lead inside the 5000.

It's a General ? - Data on Lifetime of Enhanced Flooded Batteries - gordonbennet

Indeed, i replaced the OE battery on daughter's 15 plate Civic a few weeks ago, much higher rated Yuasa AGM replacing the Honda original, the new Yuasa was considerably heavier than the one that came off.

Nearly ended up getting one from Cox via their ebay shop, pics and details on the listing seemed confusing as to what exact CCA and AH figures the new battery would have, phone call confirmed it would have been same as OE, went with the much high rated yet similarly priced Yuasa from Tayna (longer warrant too) which arrived the following day.