Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - Fred500
Hi guys,
Wanted to have your opinions.
I do low mileage, short journeys and live a city and don’t commute.
Want to replace my 15 plate Qashqai either with a Self charging Hybrid or 3rd gen normal Qashqai Automatic. Used of course. Now with the hybrids, I’ve read that many have flat batteries if you don’t drive often, which I hadn’t known! I often leave my car on my driveway for 2/3 days without driving and my current car doesn’t have flat batteries.

Considering my usages, do you recommend the 3rd gen mild hybrid Qashqai auto or still think a full hybrid is better say a Toyota. Thought of Lexus hybrid as well but also worried about the flat battery issue as well.

Edited by Fred500 on 18/03/2024 at 19:13

Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - badbusdriver

A mild hybrid system (MHEV) doesn't do that much really, it is just a means for manufacturers to make stop start systems work quicker and more effectively along with being a relatively inexpensive means to (slightly) lower the overall fleet emissions. A car with a mild hybrid system will not run on electric power alone (though it may enable the engine to switch off while you are slowing down to a stop).

As you have a driveway and only do short journeys, surely an EV would be an option?. Or a plug in hybrid (PHEV)?.

But as a general rule, I wouldn't expect any Nissan to be as reliable as any Toyota. And Lexus hybrid uses the same system as Toyota Hybrids, same company y'see!

Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - Fred500
Thanks for the reply.
I don’t electric cars nor do I like to charge them.
At least with mild hybrid, they are unlikely to have flat batteries if they’re left undriven for few days like full hybrids.
Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - alan1302

Why not keep the one you have?

Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - Adampr

You're unlikely to get a flat battery from 2 or 3 days. Up to a week should be fine; up to two weeks possible.

Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - badbusdriver

I don’t electric cars nor do I like to charge them.

?

Not sure you need to like charging them, just the ability to put the plug in!. And with a charger installed at home, it is no more taxing than charging your phone.

At least with mild hybrid, they are unlikely to have flat batteries if they’re left undriven for few days like full hybrids.

I think you might be overestimating just how likely it is for the battery to go flat after a couple of days not being used. Toyota's self charging hybrid technology has been in production continuously since Dec 1997, and cars so equipped are rightly regarded as being amongst the most reliable available at any price. I think they know what they are doing!.

Its your choice but personally, I'd have more faith in a Toyota hybrid than in any current Nissan.

Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - London calling

Had my Lexus NX for over 5 years, original 12 volt battery and car has been parked up for two weeks numerous times with no problem..Lexus/Toyota use Atkinson cycle engines which I think are more efficient than normal ice engines and have no turbo (less to go wrong) I get around mid 40’s MPG in mild/warm weather but drops to 38/40 MPG during colder weather

Qashqai 2nd gen auto - Is self charging Hybrid better for me? - Terry W

For a low mileage user with few long journeys + off road parking, an EV is the logical choice.

If, for whatever reason, you don't want or like EVs (plugging it in is a chore) then there is little point in going for a PHEV which has to be plugged in to make any real sense.

Mild hybrids make very little difference to mpg or performance - certainly not enough to justify any greater cost of purchase or vehicle complexity.

Just buy ICE - probably cheaper, more choice, developed spares and repair infrastructure etc.