Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai Noise - piuzzo_steve

Hello great people!

My wife owns a Nissan Qashqai Mk1 (J10?) 13 plate. 2litre 4wh drive (360 spec). 65k miles

We only drive it 3000 miles p/a - essentially it's a holiday car (I can't take my company car abroad).

Last summer when driving to Italy it started making a humming noise from the front right wheel area (we think). This only occurred when turning right at motorway speeds and only after driving for around an hour or so. When 'cold' it doesn't make this noise at all. The noise stops if you rest your foot lightly on the brake pedal.

My initial feeling was wheel bearing or front discs (Front Brake discs worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened - MOT) but a trusted local mechanic has checked both and doesn't think this is the case. Naturally it's difficult to replicate this with a mechanic in the car due to its sporadic appearance.

We're due to drive to France in a month and I don't want the anxiety of the noise returning.

My wife thinks we should get both the bearings and brakes replaced but I'd hate to spend hundreds of pounds unnecessarily.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai Noise - elekie&a/c doctor
The humming noise is very likely to be a wheel bearing . However it’s not always easy to identify which one as the noise often travels. I would suggest if the correct bearing is replaced, get the brakes done at the same time , because this all needs to be removed for a bearing repair.
Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai Noise - Andrew-T

If the car passes its MoT without serious comment I would do nothing unless the noise gets louder or changes its tone. A wheel bearing will not fail without telling the world about it first. The MoT will discover any brake problems, so likewise.