Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - 43576

The Jazz GD1 headlights, 7-speed mode button on the steering wheel, and cluster gear numbers LCD are different in the earlier model compared to the later model, which has auto-closed wing mirrors. The earlier model has a throttle cable. Additionally, the later model was manufactured in China. I am curious to know if the earlier model was made in Japan. I am also wondering about the reliability of the engines in both models. In your opinion, which is the better option between the early and late Jazz models? My budget is a maximum of £4800.

Edited by 43576 on 03/03/2024 at 10:54

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - badbusdriver

No idea what you mean by GD1?.

An automatic Jazz within your budget will have either a CVT or the i-shift automated manual. The i-shift is best avoided as they are not that great but they were only used on pre-facelift 2nd gen cars (2008-2011). The 1st gen and facelifted 2nd gen onwards used the CVT and these are reliably as long as transmission fluid has been changed when needed, so check the service history.

Should be no reliability issues regarding the engine in any Jazz though.

Your budget is not actually very high, so I would be less concerned about where it was made, whether it has power fold mirrors and LCD's and more concerned about getting the best example your budget can secure.

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - badbusdriver

Because of the small budget, you'd be better opening up to other potential buys, especially so if it has to be auto.

Assuming you are interested in the Jazz because of the interior space (compared to most other supermini's), you should also look at the 1st gen (2005-2012) Nissan Note and the Ford Fusion 1.6 petrol (you did get an auto option on the 1.4, but it was an automated manual, the 1.6 uses a t/c auto).

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - madf

A 2002 to 2008 Jazz is VERY liable to catalyst threat. Insurance premiums are rising. Get a quote before you buy.

They are also VERY prone to rust at the rear : rear cross member , rear wheel arches, rear floor adjacent to sills and rear suspension mounting points.

Post 2008 cars - if automatic - are Ishift - horrible automated gearbox to 2011, Not recommended, 2012 cars on are CVT. Engines are bulletproof if maintained properly.

Have owned my 2012 CVT for 12 years: fault free apart from consumables.

Edited by madf on 03/03/2024 at 13:24

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - VengaPete

I run a Jazz 2007 (model denoted GD by Honda) on my family fleet so feel able to talk about them.

Re Catalyst - the position is no different to many cars but from Honda they are ridiculously expenve to replace (as with many Honda parts generally). The only thing I can think makes them targets is maybe Honda are using more of the precious metals in the cat. They do run extraordinarily clean for the age of car which presumably is the cat doing its magic.
To a thief with a jack and a cordless saw, it really doesn't matter as they lift any car high enough from vids I've watched, so any car with a cat in the exhaust mid pipe is physically as easy as a Jazz so the thaft reason must be some Jazz cat specific thing.

Re Rust at rear - absolutely correct. If its not had any coating to reduce chances of rust, they are prone as madf indicates. I undersealed my fleet Jazz and keep an eye on it to recoat when necessary.

Re: insurance - my feeling on this is a media frenzy borne of the EV insurance hikes due to battery fears, JLR thefts and LV likely being more associated with older drivers who in turn have Jazz as a vehicle because of its benefits to older people, especially with mobility challenges. My fleet Jazz in fact is cheaper this year than last year for a 33 year old married couple / medium risk area / 4 years NCB. £490 last year, £470 this year.
It simply isn't true what the media are reporting about Jazz is uninsurable.

Of course insurance depends heavily on personal circumstances so always get a quote, but a Jazz, in my experience is no more or less insurable than anything else.

Re: CVT - as madf says, the iShift was Honda's attempt at an automated manual gearbox and it was notoriously unreliable. The CVT's pre iShift have a design problem with the idler clutch which makes pulling away a somewhat juddery affair. Even using the correct Honda fluid doesn't help this issue. However there is an additive that can normally reduce / remove the judder.
I won't mention it here for fear of breaking advertising rules but if you Google Jazz automatic judder it will pop up as an often used solution. Also quite a few YouTube videos about it.
Oh, and these gearboxes absolutely must have the correct Honda CVT fluid. Anything else simply doesn't work correctly despite what the bottle might say. In 40 years of motroing it's the only time I've found that the OEM part is the only part that works acceptably.

madf - my family Jazz user is aspiring to 2012 version when hers dies, so good to see the reliability continues on those versions.

Edited by VengaPete on 04/03/2024 at 20:37

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - madf

madf - my family Jazz user is aspiring to 2012 version when hers dies, so good to see the reliability continues on those versions.

Yes: I DIY and it is very easy. Even the spark plugs - which involve dismantling some of the cowl plastics - are easy.

Ease of maintenance means it should be cheap and simple to do.. It is when DIYing.

The CVT on my Jazz is smoother than a conventional auto.

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - Xileno

No problem in mentioning companies or products you recommend providing you don't have any commercial interest.

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - Sulphur Man
The in-laws had a 2007 Jazz CVT (so mk1 facelift) and it was excellent apart from one known fault..

The boot lining was saturated when it rained.

The cause was perished sealing under the roof rails, allowing roof gutter water to enter the chassis and work its way backwards into the rear hatch where it seeps out into the boot floor.

It’s a really common thing and precipitates rust.

Thankfully the fix is super easy. Remove the roof rails, apply a new sealant and replace. Good for 10 years once done.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 05/03/2024 at 07:59

Think of buy a Honda Jazz the early or late model? - mcb100
‘GD1 headlights’ - Gas discharge (Xenon) headlights?