Skoda Octavia - 14-17k used car suggestions - ns23
Hi
Planning to buy a used Sedan (do not prefer Estate styling) in the c.£15k range.

Usage 6k annually expected mainly on weekends to local shops or weekend getaways.

Prefer max 4yrs age with 30k odd mileage, automatic, not hybrid as stay in a flat. May want to resell it in 3-4yrs to upgrade. So ideally looking at a car with good resale value.

Have narrowed on Skoda Octavia 2020/2021 models, or maybe a Superb 2020. Have also read reviews if Volvo sS60 but surprisingly they score 6/10 compared to 8 or 9 for Skodas. VW Passat was also on my radar but it’s discontinued now - it may cause reduced resale value.

Any other suggestions of cars I should look at? Or anything to watch for in Skoda models i mentioned.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Edited by ns23 on 10/02/2024 at 18:04

Skoda Octavia - 14-17k used car suggestions - badbusdriver

Hi

Planning to buy a used Sedan (do not prefer Estate styling) in the c.£15k range.

You don't get either Octavia or Superb as a sedan, the choice is hatchback or estate.

Or anything to watch for in Skoda models i mentioned.

The potential problem with your Skoda choices is the DSG automatic transmission. This is actually a dual clutch automated manual, and they don't stand up very well to harsh treatment. There is no doubt that they can be reliable, but that assumes previous owners have driven the car with some degree of mechanical sympathy (and you continue to). But unless you know the car, there is no way to tell how previous owners have driven it. There are also two different types of DSG, dry and wet clutch, the latter is more robust that the former but I'm not sure which models would have which DSG. I'd expect more powerful versions (petrol or diesel) to have the wet clutch type, but as said, I don't know.

Have also read reviews if Volvo sS60 but surprisingly they score 6/10 compared to 8 or 9 for Skodas.

No point in giving much consideration to reviews (unless owner reviews), journo's are unlikely to have the same priorities as a "normal" person. Having said that, since the Chinese got involved, Volvo's quality and reliability does seem to have taken a dive.

VW Passat was also on my radar but it’s discontinued now - it may cause reduced resale value.

wouldn't dismiss a Passat because of this, I don't see the depreciation being any more of an issue than if buying a previous shape or pre-facelift example of a current car. I would however be wary of the Passat because it uses the same DSG gearbox as the Skoda's.

Any other suggestions of cars I should look at?

Well they have been getting quite a lot of airtime on the forum of late, but the Mazda 6 is about as reliable a car of that size as you are likely to get (and that is actually a sedan), and that includes the auto!

the Mazda 6 is about as reliable a car of that size as you are likely to get

Sorry, just wanted to clarify, the above comment is for petrol only, the diesel is to be avoided.

Thanks

And apologies for sedan/hatchback confusion at my end.
Skoda Octavia - 14-17k used car suggestions - barney100

I've had Volvos for years, they last donkeys years with a little TLC.

Skoda Octavia - 14-17k used car suggestions - skidpan

We have owned 2 Superbs and driven several Octavias and IMHO there is no comparison, the Superb is streets ahead in comfort, refinement and quality for not much more money.

First Superb we had was a 2017 1.4 TSi SE hatch, excellent car did all we expected of it. Economy was about 46 mpg over the 3 1/2 years we owned it.

Second (which we still have) is a 2020 iV SE Tech hatch which is a truly exceptional car. Performance is on a different level and even without charging its better on petrol than the previous Superb.

Your budget should get you a great car.

We have driven a couple of diesels and despite owning and being happy with 5 turbo diesels previously (one was a Golf) the Octavias seemed poor in comparison (especially the 1600 and even the 2 litre one was more powerful than any we have owned), the TSi was way better for quite a lot less cash.

Thanks, that really helps me narrow on Superb or S90
Hi, decision time so last minute doubts:

Will S90 maintenance be something to worry about as it’s discontinued especially with parts availability in due course, relative to say a Superb 2019 model.
Hi, decision time so last minute doubts: Will S90 maintenance be something to worry about as it’s discontinued especially with parts availability in due course, relative to say a Superb 2019 model.

Really shouldn't be any problems getting service items.

If it is being discontinued, at some point maybe parts specific to the S and V90 (body and trim) could become tricky to obtain. But I wouldn't really expect that to become an issue anytime soon, maybe about a decade after it has been discontinued, possibly?