Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - GeorginaH

Hi, I have a late 2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE 2.0 diesel. The engine completely failed on Nov 1 2023. The car was taken to the LR dealership and because I had a LR extended warranty a new engine was ordered for the car and covered by LR. The engine finally arrived a week ago and it was fitted this week (Feb 5th 2024). During the Discovery’s three month wait at the dealership I received a phone call (from LR tracking) on Dec 31st 2023 to say the power had been disabled and had the car been stolen? I phoned the dealership and they said it was fine. The same thing happened today and this time I have been told by the dealership that the battery is now fully dead and will not hold a charge. They say I need to pay for a new one at a cost to me of £401.54. My question is, should the main LR dealership have looked after my battery for the three months it was with them and is it their fault my battery has failed. What should I do or agree to?

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - elekie&a/c doctor
Any modern car battery needs to be in use or on charge . If they are left to go flat , they’re normally goosed . If it hadn’t failed during the dealers time waiting for the repair , chances are it would need to be replaced very soon. Battery life these days is around 3-4 years , and they’re not cheap .
Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - Ian D
The battery is 4 years old but in 3 months the battery looks like it has been left to go so flat it cannot be recovered, maybe (optimistically) try for 50/50 split in cost….

Edited by Ian D on 06/02/2024 at 19:54

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - GeorginaH
I think that sounds like a resolution that might work! Thank you.
Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - Brit_in_Germany

The RAC would charge half the price you've been offered so 50/50 would be a very fair offer in view if the apparent situation that they have not bothered trickle charging your battery from time to time.

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - RT
Battery life these days is around 3-4 years , and they’re not cheap .

I often hear that - so how come I and my immediate family can get way longer than that sort of timescale.

My VW Touareg's battery is recommended by VW to be replaced at 5 years old - I ignored that but have just replaced it at 8 years old - when I tested it the State Of Health (SOH) was 70% so since 50% SOH is a recommended replacement level I obviously changed it prematurely so I've retained it for use as a leisure battery in my caravan

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - paul 1963

Got to agree with the Doc ( again!) Modern battery's just don't last, even when the car is locked and left there's still several things running in the background.

A mate just had to replace the battery on his 5 year old Lexus.....£300....

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - Big John

I remember that in old cars the battery didn't last, the worst used to be a mkII Cortina where you were lucky to get much over a year out of it - but it was always horrible to start on a morning from 2 years old when my Dad got it. I had various bangers from the 70's where you might possibly get 2 years.

Fast forward and my Wife's 1984 Polo owned from new which we kept 19 years usually managed 6 years between batteries.

The battery on my 2003 pd Skoda Superb (Varta!) lasted util way beyond my ownership ended in 2015 lasting quite a few years after with the new owner. No stop start, and it was a huge battery.

The battery on my tsi 2014 Superb (Moll) bought in 2015 only lasted until 2020 but it has stop start and the charging system to support these is something else (eg overcharging on the overrun) and obviously the starter motor is used much more. The first lockdown wouldn't have helped but I was quickly driving again as I had one of those jobs...

It’s helpful to think of the average battery life rather than just the immediate frustration because a trickle charger wasn’t used at the dealership. Although surprised too that 4 years is considered a good innings!
It’s helpful to think of the average battery life rather than just the immediate frustration because a trickle charger wasn’t used at the dealership. Although surprised too that 4 years is considered a good innings!
Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - FP

I know I represent a minute statistical sample, but I don't recall ever getting less than five years out of a battery. My current Mazda CX-5 (petrol), registered in May 2014, still has its original battery and exhaust.

Edited by FP on 06/02/2024 at 23:04

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - Andrew-T

I know I represent a minute statistical sample, but I don't recall ever getting less than five years out of a battery. My current Mazda CX-5 (petrol), registered in May 2014, still has its original battery and exhaust.

I'm not at all surprised at the battery, but more at the exhaust. Maybe they make more durable ones these days, but traditionally batteries on diesel cars had shorter lives than on petrol ones because starting a diesel was harder work (so those batteries were a bit beefier). To compensate, diesel exhausts lasted longer because the interior soon got coated in soot, which prevented corrosion. Swings and roundabouts ?

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - Dave N
I think they should have returned the car to you in the same condition as you left it with them, ie with a functioning battery. Especially as you were forced to leave it with them because of their product quality.

If the battery just died during a routine service, then fair enough, they sometimes do that, but to be dumped in the corner of the yard for a long is down to them.

Edited by Dave N on 07/02/2024 at 07:17

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - skidpan

I think they should have returned the car to you in the same condition as you left it with them

If the OP insisted on that he would get a Disco with a b*****ed engine.

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - gordonbennet

Its just not practicle to go around a compound removing and refitting batteries or having miles of wiring trailing around the place keeping a bank of trickle charger ticking over, if someone had thought to disconnect the battery it might have survived the duration, that's what happens in professional storage compounds.

In the same circs i might have suggested i take the battery home and keep it (them there's two on Landcruisers) charged until the parts arrived and they were due to start work on the vehicle and nipped the battery back.

As for costs, replaced both on the Landcruiser some 18 months ago, circa £180 the pair if i recall, last pair lasted 7 years before showing signs of weakening, might have got another year or so but a non starter must not happen.

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - Brit_in_Germany

Time to dig those reading specs out.

Land Rover Discovery 5 - Engine replacement under warranty, battery issue - Adampr

I suppose it doesn't really matter. You'll get the money back when you sell it next week. You are getting rid of it aren't you?