Kia Venga 2 - Vibrating noise & engine check light started soon - Jose53

Hello, last evening the engine check light started flashing and a vibrating noise started (both when driving & when idling). The car was serviced just 12 days ago, arranged through one of the websites where you book online & they find a garage (in this case one I had no prior experience of). Any thoughts on whether to go back to the website & say why wasn’t this problem picked up in the service, or does it sound like a new problem? Thank you for any advice for a non-car-knowledgeable person.

Kia Venga 2 - Vibrating noise & engine check light started soon - Dave N
If the problems only just occured, but it was serviced 12 days ago, how could they have spotted it, unless they have a crystal ball?
If the problems only just occured, but it was serviced 12 days ago, how could they have spotted it, unless they have a crystal ball?

I don't know if you've ever experienced some problems in life which start gradually and aren't noticed until they get really bad. Just 12 days ago could be said by some cynical people to sound suspicious. Maybe you work at a garage and think all garages are honest. When I hear stories of ignorant stupid customers like me being ripped off, it seems sensible to take a step back and ask 'how did this problem occur'. Obviously I'll have to put myself in the garages hands and just pay them what ever they ask for. Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time and trouble for replying.

Kia Venga 2 - Vibrating noise & engine check light started soon - Adampr

Services aren't really services these days. They may only have changed the oil and filter. They won't have done a full inspection.

I'd suggest going back to the garage that did the service (if the car drives), demonstrating the noise and asking them to check their work. If you have breakdown cover with home start, you could get them out to take a look and, if necessary, recover it to the garage.

It is unlikely that the garage has done 'something' intentionally, but sometimes they leave something loose, forget to replace the dipstick or similar.

If you had a red check engine light, don't start the car.

Kia Venga 2 - Vibrating noise & engine check light started soon - Andrew-T

<< I don't know if you've ever experienced some problems in life which start gradually and aren't noticed until they get really bad. >>

i like this idea. If a problem is 'not noticed' how does anyone know that it started before it was noticed ? It's only natural to imagine that a recent service may have been the cause, but you have to identify the source of the noise before making any connection.

Kia Venga 2 - Vibrating noise & engine check light started soon - Big John

Were the plugs changed on the service?

Kia Venga 2 - Vibrating noise & engine check light started soon - mickyh7

Were the plugs changed on the service?

Glow plugs or Spark plugs?

The op hasn't said which engine yet.

If anything, a vibrating noise would be an injector, if accompanied by an EML?

On a Petrol, a vibrating noise might well be terminal!

Strange question.

Edited to add, I'm taking vibrating as fast knocking!

Edited by mickyh7 on 29/01/2024 at 06:33

Glow plugs or Spark plugs?

Good point, I was presuming this was a petrol car as most I've encountered seem to drink from the green pump so Spark plugs. I have seen badly fitted plugs in the past - especially where they get mis threaded in an alloy head. In time this can cause issues where the plug becomes loose / blow past etc causing vibration/ knock etc. It was the passage of a few days after service that made me wonder.

Edited by Big John on 29/01/2024 at 16:34

Plugs weren't mentioned in the servicing report list. I booked it as a half year service. (It's petrol)

I think you need a good local independent garage to listen to the noise. Should be fairly obvious as the noise/vibration is present when idling.

Edited by Big John on 29/01/2024 at 17:42