VW Golf 1.9 130bhp - Rough Start - Roy Brown

On my 1.9 tdi 130bhp mk4 golf i recently purchased its got a problem starting

• warm or cold the issue is there
  • It doesnt cut out when driving, drives and runs perfect, no smoke
  • The key has to be held on a few seconds extra to start than normal, sometimes this then puts the EML and flashing glow plug light on the dash 'emissions workshop'
  • fault code says p0321 engine speed sensor intermittent
  • Have changed the crankshaft sensor but no different
  • tested a battery from another car that is working good, again no different

096 is the battery size, could this be upgraded to a bigger one? Or what else could I check?

VW Golf 1.9 130bhp - Rough Start - elekie&a/c doctor
096 is correct battery for the car . Same car and problem you asked about in 2016 ??

Thanks. No its not, 'recently purchased'

VW Golf 1.9 130bhp - Rough Start - elekie&a/c doctor
Same information applies . Cranking speed is critical on a Pd engine.
Same information applies . Cranking speed is critical on a Pd engine.

In the process of starting in this example it sounds rough, which is something with cranking speed yes. The only thing you said in that other thread was to change the oil, this is a different issue and an oil change wont ever fix this problem.

VW Golf 1.9 130bhp - Rough Start - Big John

• fault code says p0321 engine speed sensor intermittent
  • Have changed the crankshaft sensor but no different

I'd start with a new battery as if weak they can throw up issues.

The wiring for the crankshaft sensor can fail due to all that lovely pd vibration so worth changing. Obviously it could be a damaged ring on the end of the crank - what is the cars history, any engine rebuild work in the past?

One thing that caused me an issue in the past was the anti shudder valve that operates as the engine is turned off to quickly stop it - if it sticks or the vacuum system is having problems then it may not be working properly which MAY cause starting problems.

Another thing to consider is the tandem diesel fuel pump on the end of the cam shaft, it's also a vacuum pump for the brakes and vacuum control systems. This is a known potential fail on this generally reliable engine. Does the sump oil smell excessively of diesel?

Another fail on the engine is the injector wiring loom that sits in oil and goes hard - unlikely here as the car runs fine once started.

Probably not glow plugs as it's the same hot or cold and the pd was always pretty good at starting even if they weren't working well.

Struggling re memory as it's been nearly 10 years since I meddled with the pd engine.

Edited by Big John on 22/01/2024 at 22:02

Thanks John but managed to get it sorted. The Torsion angle on the cam pulley needed adjusted ever so slightly. Starting perfect now. I can only assume it was out due to a cambelt change in the past.

Edited by Roy Brown on 29/01/2024 at 20:52