2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - EGR Fault and Limp Mode - Someone in Yorkshire
So, after a few years of reading about 1.6 TDI EGR issues online, I think mine is going.

I get a glow plug light flashing occasionally and the car goes into limp mode, which goes away if I restart the engine. It's going to an VAG independent next week. I scanned it with a basic OBDII reader and it says P0407 EGR sensor B circuit low. If the EGR is the issue, it'll be expensive as these are apparently a pain to do on these engines.

Anything I can try myself?

I've taken it for a good blast, it drives perfectly when the light isn't on; and it completed a DPF regeneration successfully. I just don't understand how one journey it can be fine, then the other not so much...I drove 200 miles without a single issue the other day, but the next day it was terrible.

Edited by Someone in Yorkshire on 21/09/2023 at 16:28

2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - EGR Fault and Limp Mode - elekie&a/c doctor
Not very much you can do yourself on these . The egr valve and cooler sit right down low at the rear of the engine . Impossible to see much from the top . These are not a nice job to change . Main dealer price is about £1k job .,
2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - EGR Fault and Limp Mode - gordonbennet

Friend of mine is a competent mechanic, changed the EGR valve on his Skoda Yeti by himself, many hours of work involved so as above it isn't going to be cheap.

2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - EGR Fault and Limp Mode - DavidGlos
So annoying when *relatively* cheap parts are positioned where it takes many hours to change them. Some vehicle have the EGR at the front of the engine, where it’s easily accessible and fairly DIYable at reasonable costs. Bravo VAG!
So annoying when *relatively* cheap parts are positioned where it takes many hours to change them. Some vehicle have the EGR at the front of the engine, where it’s easily accessible and fairly DIYable at reasonable costs. Bravo VAG!

Quite, it took me about 1/2 an hour to remove the EGR from my Landcruiser, runs much better since i cleaned it out, would have had the inlet manifold off too but would have required new injector pipes so will leave that till its time for new injectors.

VW have form for such designs, the heater radiator on sons Seat Toledo sprung a leak...never again!

OP, if it does indeed need a new EGR (cleaning out by commercial workshop probably not cost effective, even my skilled DIY mate fitted a new unit to his Yeti) get them to inspect the inlet manifold with a camera, if its clogged up this is the time to clean it out, assuming it will come off with the engine in situ.

2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - EGR Fault and Limp Mode - edlithgow

Honda Accord I had brief stewardship of had an EGR code with engine money light.

Very accessible EGR valve was very clean and shiny, as well it might have been, never having seen any EG to R, since the plumbing was completely blocked with sooty gunge. This was a petrol car but when I posted pictures on a US Honda forum they would not believe it wasn't diesel.

EGR problems may not, therefore, necessarily be down to the valve, which in this case bench tested fine.

I cleared the plumbing out with old coffee filtered brake fluid and a hooked wire, thinking at the last minute to take the plugs out and turn it over, which was lucky since a lot of black stuff blew out of the cylinder and I might have bent a con rod if it was hydrolocked.

Smoked A LOT on restart but gradually cleared.

Edited by edlithgow on 23/09/2023 at 00:55

Thank you for the replies, all. Very helpful :)
2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - EGR Fault and Limp Mode - Big John

VAG EGR valves on diesel engines were a much easier job for earlier euro emissions implementations. On my 2003 Skoda Superb mkI 1.9 pd it was very easy to do - albeit messy.

However in later diesel cars the EGR now has to be close coupled to the DPF and usually has water cooling etc and latterly SCR technology - This type of emissions related job has become more and more complex re all manufacturers cars.

Just for information to anyone who comes across this thread, the car has been properly diagnosed and it is indeed the EGR valve, as suspected. The cost for replacement comes to £1067 at a VAG independent using genuine parts, including the cooler.

Expensive, but I guess it was bound to fail or clog up at some point.
2014 Audi A1 1.6 TDI - EGR Fault and Limp Mode - mickyh7

Whilst I agree that VAG Independents are much cheaper than Main Dealers, I would go to any back street garage for such a simple job. This is a 'Fitters' job, not a 'Mechanics' job.

You'll save at least half again!

Ask for a 'Blanking Plate' whilst they're in there!

Edited by mickyh7 on 02/10/2023 at 08:24

This is where some tried and tested knowledge comes in, sometimes blanking causes other problems where a 'compromise' does the business without triggering eml.

OP, ring around other indies, that quote sounds expensive to me, having had the cambelt and full service (incl brake renewal) carried out on the family Golf recenly, the quotes were wildy different with some little better than the main dealer, oddly enough the winning quote turned out to be from an indy only walking distance from where the car lives near Watford, first time using them and the cars owner will now be a regular customer..

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/10/2023 at 09:17

Whilst I agree that VAG Independents are much cheaper than Main Dealers, I would go to any back street garage for such a simple job. This is a 'Fitters' job, not a 'Mechanics' job.

You'll save at least half again!

Apparently, blanking the EGR off on this engine causes DPF issues.