Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - pete2000

Hi there

Some nice person left me a present in the car park and scuffed my car door nicely. It's pretty visible, about 3 car handle lengths and maybe 3 fingeers wide and essentially white paint transferred onto the car which is dark green. Doesn't seem mega deep but certainly something that I can make look much more presentable i imagine.

Only thing is I haven't actually done this before. Just wondering what is the best approach that will do the trick without much fuss. I don't need it perfect just presentable I guess.

I have been recommended T-Cut, Nail polish remover and saw on youtube someone using sand paper.

Hoping for an easy recommendation or a thumbs up for say T-Cut or something and I'll just go with that.

Also would I need to get touch up paint?

Many thanks in advance.

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - Adampr

I would definitely not use sand paper. T-cut will work, but is abrasive so will leave a dull patch where it removes the top coat.

I would try baby wipes, then nail polish remover. However, I think it's unlikely to look good no matter what you do. You saying it doesn't look mega deep means it has some depth, which means the best result you will get is scratches.

My advice would be to go to a body shop. It may be cheaper than you're expecting and, if it's just superficial, they will probably tell you what you can do to get rid of it better than anyone here.

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - paul 1963

Lighter fluid can remove odd marks from paint, it's great at removing tar spots etc so may work on the transfered paint, don't try to polish it off.

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - John F

Liquid Brasso. Much cheaper than T-cut.

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - Andrew-T

T-cut is about £10-12 a bottle, but I suppose many people will already have some Brasso. However I would advise T-cut, it's designed for the purpose and is gentler. It is available in various colours, but I doubt that one of them will be dark green. I think provided your car's own paint is undamaged you would have to work very hard to get through the surface with T-cut.

Having said that, modern car paint is all water-based, so may be rather more delicate than the traditional stuff ?

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - paul 1963

Although modern paint is soft T cut is not that aggressive and you would have to rub quite hard and for some time to really damage the clear coat, that said I really would try to remove the transfered paint using some sort of mild solvent first then T cut, polish, wax etc.

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - catsdad

Three handles long by three fingers wide is a pretty big area. It’s almost impossible to believe that when you get into it it will only be superficial. There is almost bound to be damage into the paint if another car scraped along yours. As for using touch up paint over such an area it will look awful whether by brush or by can.
Unless it’s a banger I would just bite the bullet and get a pro to do it. if it’s easy it won’t be too dear : if it’s expensive then that suggests beyond amateur repair anyway.

Three handles long by three fingers wide is a pretty big area. It’s almost impossible to believe that when you get into it it will only be superficial. There is almost bound to be damage into the paint if another car scraped along yours. As for using touch up paint over such an area it will look awful whether by brush or by can.
Unless it’s a banger I would just bite the bullet and get a pro to do it. if it’s easy it won’t be too dear : if it’s expensive then that suggests beyond amateur repair anyway.

yes was quite big and ugly looking. Not sure how to post a before and after photo but the acetone literally wiped the paint away. So hopefully saved some cash. Only caveat is if somehow the chemical shows some ill effects overnight or something.

Although modern paint is soft T cut is not that aggressive and you would have to rub quite hard and for some time to really damage the clear coat, that said I really would try to remove the transfered paint using some sort of mild solvent first then T cut, polish, wax etc.

I'd have thought that an effective solvent would go for the car's paint as well as the recent additions ? T-cut will act progressively. I would try a bit of DiY first, and ask for professional help if it doesn't look promising.

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. So I just thought I'd give it a quick shot with nail polish remover (Acetone based) before getting more aggressive as per your suggestions.

I dabbed some on a microfibre cloth and VERY gently wiped over the paint transferred on with a bucket of soapy water near me.

The excess paint wiped off instantly (like magic) even with a feather touch. I quickly washed it and kept water on it for a while to reduce risk of residual effect of the acetone (or so logic dictates).

90 percent of the area was totally fine, rest with barely visible scratches, so I think I was lucky. May not be if tomorrow I see things have regressed :) but it seemed fine.

May polish with something more aggressive when I want to do the rest of the car for small surface scratches but for now it worked great. Something to dissolve the scuffed on paint was definitely needed and this was shockingly effective like one of those cleaning adverts.

Edited by pete2000 on 17/08/2023 at 12:46

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - Big John

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. So I just thought I'd give it a quick shot with nail polish remover (Acetone based) before getting more aggressive as per your suggestions.

I dabbed some on a microfibre cloth and VERY gently wiped over the paint transferred on with a bucket of soapy water near me.

The excess paint wiped off instantly (like magic) even with a feather touch. I quickly washed it and kept water on it for a while to reduce risk of residual effect of the acetone (or so logic dictates).

Yes - I had a similar problem with Sons car a few years ago when someone vandalised it with spray paint. I bought a bottle of acetone and tested it on the spray that was on some glass - just wiped off!. I also tested the acetone on a small out of sight original paint surface inside the hatch - all ok. Then as you mentioned I more or less wiped off using a bit of acetone the unwelcome spray paint then thoroughly washed off with water and took the car through a car wash just in case. All good!

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - John F

T-cut is about £10-12 a bottle...... However I would advise T-cut, it's designed for the purpose and is gentler.

Have you evidence for that assertion? Personally, I think T-cut is more abrasive than Brasso, which, apart from the cost and availability, is why I use Brasso. The purpose of T-cut is to remove a layer of paint. This is what Google says today when asked 'is T-cut more abrasive than Brasso?'.......

.......T cut could be termed coa*** sand paper whilst Brasso is fine finishing sand paper. Use Brasso to finish off for an extra fine finish but start off with T cut to get the worst of the scratch out

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - bathtub tom

The only problem I can envisage with using polish is, that panel will now be shinier than the rest of the car. Fancy doing the whole car?....................................................;>)

<< Have you evidence for that assertion? Personally, I think T-cut is more abrasive than Brasso, >>

No scientific measurements, no. But I have recently used both (new black) T-cut and ordinary (rather elderly) Brasso, and my impression is that Brasso is grittier. It is also intended for removing tarnish or patina from metals, not water-based car paint, which is softer.

OTOH I do use Brasso for polishing out marks on CDs, which it does rather well.

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - edlithgow

I like crumpled aluminium foil as an abrasive, because

(a) You can conform it to any surface profile

(b) it has an anti-corrosive effect on steel

(c) It has no grit particles (There will be small aluminium particles detached, but I THINK these are less likely to embed, and less likely to be damaging, than, say those in Scotchbrite, which are alleged to have wrecked a lot of newly rebuilt engines).

(d) It can be used wet or dry, and can be combined with abrasives such as toothpaste, valve grinding paste, or., I suppose, Brasso

(They don't, AFAIK, make Aluminium-O. Maybe too hard a sell in America)

(e) Its possible to "forage" it up from sweetie wrappers etc

Of course I'm not concerned with cosmetics (I mostly use it on exposed metal, most recently the end of my camshaft, in combination with silicone grease) and I dont know how it compares with the other treatments mentioned in that context, (with some of which it might be combined) but if I was I'd test it.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/08/2023 at 03:12

Honda Civic - how to remove paint transfer from a car? - edlithgow

The toothpaste I mention above might be appropriate in this case. Its available in a range of abrasiveness, inexpensive, and you might be able to think of a use for the leftovers...

...while you still have your teeth anyway.

It can be rendered even less abrasive by using it with a bit of oil. Probably contra-indicated on teeth, though.