2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - badbusdriver

Just to be clear, this is not the example I was asking about a month or so about with the newer Multi-Fuel engine, this is the Daihatsu/Toyota 1.3 engine (found one not too far from home and decided to go for it).

First potential problem is the smell of petrol but with no apparent leakage, any thoughts from the learned collective?

Second definite (though probably intermittent, at the moment anyway) is the starter not working. First sign that there may be a problem was a few days after I got it home. Got in, turned the key, the engine turned a couple of times then stopped. Left it a minute or so then tried again and it started straight up. Have been out with it four times since then with no repeat. Today it started fine, and again when I left my parents house 30 miles away (4 hours after arriving). But I had to stop for a few minutes at the local vets and when I got back in I turned the key and, nothing!. Tried a few times with the same result. As the ignition was coming on I assumed something out of alignment with starter motor. So sitting in the drivers seat with the door open, I pushed it back (in gear) with one leg (helpful that it doesn't weigh much) and the other pushing the clutch pedal down and then let the clutch out after a couple of meters. Tried starting again and it fired up straight away. Got home, switched it off and then tried starting it again, started up fine no problem. Would I be right in assuming this is a starter motor problem or is there something else could cause this to happen?

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - Andrew-T

I had a Punto for a year or two which used to smell of petrol. It seemed to be connected with the sunroof, which suggests a leak from the engine or the tank area if there is any slight 'vacuum' in the passenger compartment.

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - _

Starter motor drive co/Ring gear ??

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Re the fuel smell , does it have the correct tank cap fitted ? The starter problem could be worn solenoid contacts , not uncommon on Toyota models fitted with a denso starter motor .

I had a Punto for a year or two which used to smell of petrol. It seemed to be connected with the sunroof, which suggests a leak from the engine or the tank area if there is any slight 'vacuum' in the passenger compartment.

Sorry Andrew, should have clarified. The smell is when standing near the outside of it (petrol tank is at the rear under the chassis). Thankfully I can't smell it in the cab (even with the window open)!.

Starter motor drive co/Ring gear ??

Excuse my ignorance ORB, is that part of the starter motor or what it attaches to?

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - Oli rag

For the starting problem, I think I’d make sure that the battery connections were tight and that the earth on the car side was clean and good.

It may also be worth checking the solenoid ( small) wire connections on the starter motor.

For the starting problem, I think I’d make sure that the battery connections were tight and that the earth on the car side was clean and good.

It may also be worth checking the solenoid ( small) wire connections on the starter motor.

Thanks Oli, i'm confident the battery isn't the problem as the ignition lights were coming on along with the ventilation fan and a "hum" from what I assume was the fuel pump(?).

But I'll have a look under the seats and see if I can locate the starter motor to check the connections.

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - edlithgow

Tapping the starter with a hammer or equivalent sometimes works, and if it does I believe thats supposed to be semi-diagnostic of a stuck solenoid.

This has been the case with the Skywing a few times, which probably has a Denso starter.

Coincidentally I have it off at the moment to access the starter ring gear with a view to locking the engine (though that doesn't look likely to work unless I use a clutch bolt) so I could take the starter apart, but I probably wont bother pending the outcome of the bigger problem.

Tapping the starter with a hammer or equivalent sometimes works, and if it does I believe thats supposed to be semi-diagnostic of a stuck solenoid.

Thanks for that tip Ed, may be a bit primitive, but if it works it works!

I did find the starter today, but it wasn't where I expected it to be!. Fortunately I was looking at starter motors last night so had a clear picture in my mind of what it looked like. Started off lifting the drivers seat but couldn't see any sign of it, same on the passenger side. Hmm, must be underneath I thought. So I got down and had a look under and immediately behind the engine from the drivers side, but still couldn't see anything that looked like a starter. So I was thinking maybe it was accessed from the chassis panel behind the cab which would have meant lifting the tipper box (yes, it is a tiny tipper!). But while lying on the ground I started looking further back, low and behold, just in front of the rear axle on the o/s, there was the starter!. I should point out that it does have a very short wheelbase and would technically be classed as front-mid engined configuration. So the end of the gearbox is only a couple of feet in front of the rear axle.

But at least I know where it is now if I need to give it a tap with a hammer.

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - Andrew-T

Tapping the starter with a hammer or equivalent sometimes works, and if it does I believe that's supposed to be semi-diagnostic of a stuck solenoid.

A well-proven remedy, at least in the 'old days' that I remember. I've no idea whether the design of starters has changed enough for it to have lost its effect. Unfortunately it isn't usually a long-term fix. IIRC the problem usually amounts to a stuck pinion which refuses to be thrown into engagement, but I also RC that pinions are now commonly pre-engaged ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/07/2023 at 18:06

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - Adampr

The other old fashioned remedy was to put it in gear and bounce.on the bonnet.

Tsk! Tsk!

Forward control, (I THINK) so no bonnet. If BB followed your advice he'd end up on the ground.

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - Adampr

Tsk! Tsk!

Forward control, (I THINK) so no bonnet. If BB followed your advice he'd end up on the ground.

If you access the engine bay from inside the cab I suppose you can just bounce around the driver's seat?

Tsk! Tsk!

Yes indeed, if anyone has watched the series with Susan Calman going to various UK destinations in her tiny camper van (named Helen Mirren), my Piaggio is the same thing but with a tipper/pickup body rather than a camper. Hers is badged Daihatsu (Hijet) but they are exactly the same otherwise.

If you access the engine bay from inside the cab I suppose you can just bounce around the driver's seat?

Yes, it could probably work and being as small and light s it is, doing so would have en effect!.

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - Chris M

"Yes, it could probably work and being as small and light s it is, doing so would have en effect!."

Perhaps just turn it upside down and give it a shake?

I lived in a Honda Acty (TN550) demountable Romahome camper for a while. Ultra compact and bijou, but because the rear part of it overhung (and was below the level of) the flatbed, it actually had partial standing headroom.

Liked it a lot, but driving it I was always rather conscious that my thigh bones were the crumple zone.

Nearest dealership was unfortunately Honda Chiswick, who were a bit too snotty to deal with ancient commercial vehicles.

When the suits heard the "550" they'd put me through to the motorcycle department, where some even snottier yoof would tell me Honda never made a 550

Edited by edlithgow on 28/07/2023 at 14:27

I lived in a Honda Acty (TN550) demountable Romahome camper for a while. Ultra compact and bijou, but because the rear part of it overhung (and was below the level of) the flatbed, it actually had partial standing headroom.

Liked it a lot, but driving it I was always rather conscious that my thigh bones were the crumple zone.

Nearest dealership was unfortunately Honda Chiswick, who were a bit too snotty to deal with ancient commercial vehicles.

When the suits heard the "550" they'd put me through to the motorcycle department, where some even snottier yoof would tell me Honda never made a 550

Back in about 1993 I had a Suzuki ST90 (predecessor to the Supercarry/Rascal) panel van. I didn't live in it, but I did spend a pleasant enough night in it just outside Thurso where I was catching the morning ferry to see friends in Orkney. Loved that little thing and wish I still had it, almost certainly part of the reason I've gone for the Piaggio!. Yeah, I hear what you are saying re safety, pretty much non existent. In time I may well decide it is too much of a risk, but for the moment it is an itch I need to scratch!

2009 Piaggio Porter-petrol smell+starting problem - John F

Re the smell, I would check the whole length of the fuel line, especially from the tank to the middle of the car. I had a similar problem with my first Audi at that sort of age; the fuel was oozing through a patch of corrosion near the rear wheel arch. I cut it out and replaced it with a few inches of a rubber fuel line secured with a couple of small jubilee clips.

Edited by John F on 28/07/2023 at 12:15

Re the smell, I would check the whole length of the fuel line, especially from the tank to the middle of the car. I had a similar problem with my first Audi at that sort of age; the fuel was oozing through a patch of corrosion near the rear wheel arch. I cut it out and replaced it with a few inches of a rubber fuel line secured with a couple of small jubilee clips.

I will aim to check that John, it being a tipper will make that fairly easy to do without lying on the ground!