Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - catsdad

My wife has been driving my daughter’s 1.6 petrol Vitara and is smitten. I am not convinced we should change from her 2012 1.6 Mazda 3 but have agreed to do some research.

if we are to get one it would be a 1.4 Boosterjet circa 2019. As a passenger I find the 1.6 too low powered. What I can’t work out is whether the 1.4s all have Suzuki’s viscous coupling 4 wheel drive. I don’t need or want 4WD. Looking on AT some are described as ALLGRIP so are 4WD but nowhere in the advert tech spec does it say so. If I set the filters for front wheel drive I get the non ALLGRIP listings but I am non sure if these are conclusively fwd or just because ALLGRIP has been omitted from the model name. Reading reviews it seems the first ones were all 4WD but I wonder if this became optional later down the line.

If it turns out they are all 4WD do I need to be concerned about transmission windup, tyre wear differential and reliability? As we keep her cars for years I try to keep them simple.

It’s annoying that such a basic question isn’t readily to hand but hopefully the panel will set me right.

I put the chance of buying at less than 50/50. Prices remain high with 3-4 year old models costing around £15k which was what I paid for my 2018 Golf at a year old. Hard to come to terms with especially as her current Mazda 3 is OK albeit a bit gutless on hills.

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - paul 1963

I own a 1.4 Boosterjet albeit the later mild hybrid, if its called all grip its 4wd if not its front wheel drive ( as is mine). Being light it does go rather well!

I previously had a swift with suzukis rather clever auto 4wd system, no extra levers knobs etc, worked brilliantly, think the later Vitara is 'switchable'? But to be totally honest unless you really want to do some serious off road work you really won't need it, if Suzukis are known for one thing its there handling and driver involvement, fellow contributer BBD has a ignis, he's not keen on its auto box but I thin he will agree they are fun cars to drive and very reliable.

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - badbusdriver

As Paul says, the 4x4 versions are called ALLGRIP. On Autotrader you can choose to see front wheel drive or four wheel drive versions. Scroll down the filter options to "Drivetrain". If you still don't trust that, look at the pics as the 4x4 versions will have an ALLGRIP badge on the tailgate underneath "Vitara", and they will also have a (circular) drive mode selector just behind the gear lever.

No need to worry about transmission wind up, AFAIK that was something which affected old and crude 4x4 systems like an old Subaru where selecting 4x4 basically locked all four into turning at the same speed, as if there were no diffs (if 4x4 was engaged on dry and/or grippy surfaces going anything other than in a straight line, it really wasn't good for the car!). But some modern 4x4 cars (including Subaru's) are prone to problems if the tyres do not have an equal depth of tread, so important to keep an eye on that and swap around the tyres as necessary, and it also means tyres are best replaced as a set of four. Couldn't tell you if this is an issue on Suzuki's though.

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/04/2023 at 20:53

Thanks gents. You have confirmed what I suspected (but couldn’t prove) that some are 4WD, some not. I now see the selector knob that bbd refers to. It’s a small cubby in the 2WD version. A few sample checks suggests the AT filter that I doubted is in fact correct.

if we do buy it will be two wheel drive version that we go for. I don’t intend to buy imminently but my track record is such that once the itch starts……..

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - SLO76
Wouldn’t be too concerned, Suzuki have a lot of experience in building 4wd transmissions. Unless you’re planning on doing big mileages I’d be quite happy to own one, 2wd or 4. Watch for any scheduled diff oil changes. They’re often skipped on 4wd cars. I like the Vitara, I sourced one for a colleague at work a couple of years ago and she’s still absolutely delighted with it. Her husbands Citroen Picasso (that I told him not to buy) is however a regular problem.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/04/2023 at 00:37

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - bazza

I have one a 2019 1.4 non hybrid, it's the SZT model. 2 wheel drive . They are about, so far as I can see, most of the SZ5 models are 4 wheel drive Allgrip. My 1.8 Civic developed the oil consumption problem, so I changed to this. I wanted simple, straightforward, and economical. Normal handbrake, analogue dials, knobs and buttons for the main controls, no fancy driver aids although it has cruise, but I never use it. Also has Android auto which works fine. I prefer it the Civic, getting in and out is much easier, visibility is vastly better, it corners and handles very sharply, I'm getting 46 to 48mpg, bit more on a run. It goes well as Suzuki have focused on lightweight build for economy and handling.

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - Metropolis.

I do miss the days when Suzuki vitara and/or grand vitara meant a real chassis, rear wheel drive, low range and a solid rear axle. They were decent workhorses that were nimble enough for town work but solidly dependable. The auto gearboxes were also typically Aisin compared to the JATCOs in them now (i think).

I am sure the new stuff is good at what it aims to be, but the days of Suzuki hosting "Rhino" off-road events seem a world away now.

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - Ethan Edwards

I would suggest you go look at a 1.4s Auto Vitara Allgrip. Pre hybrid. It's about the best one they did . Drives beautifully.

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - Adampr

I grew up in Essex in the 80s and 90s. Vitara means 'hairdresser' as far as I'm concerned.

Well it’s a good job I wasn’t desperate to buy one as the bank of mum and dad has just been called upon at short notice for a loan. Any serious buying will have to wait a few months.

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 - All wheel drive - Big John

Well it’s a good job I wasn’t desperate to buy one as the bank of mum and dad has just been called upon at short notice for a loan.

Ah yes, I'm familiar with that Scenario!

Prices are high for just about everything compared to 2019 anyway - I don't think it will go back to the same but I think prices will soften in time.

Edited by Big John on 20/04/2023 at 09:00