Hyundai i30 - Hyundai - youngalistai

Bought the hyundai used 3 years ago nearly I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars cannot find anything much about owners reviews so thought I would post this just to let people know what I think of it not much really. Its got a potential time bomb being a Gdi engine so I've read it cokes up easily and is an expensive fix terraclean are the only other place offering a clean without tearing the engine apart taking all the stuff off it to get at the engine to get the head off having that cleaned and put back together then in another 30.000 could need doing again. At 50.000 it burns a fair amount of oil so that's one of the warning signs hasn't dropped its fuel economy much yet and performance is good apart from chronic turbo lag and stop/start doesn't work 50 per cent of the time it's developed an annoying rattle/ buzz sounds a bit like pre-ignition. No garages are prepared to put a camera down the cylinder to have look but if it is pinking then thats could be another coking issue. It drives ok is still no body roll with turbo engaged it's nippy various electric sensors work or don't work depending if it's their day off. All in all not a great car but bought before prices went up in December 2020 I would get rid but as said everything is so expensive now means spending more money I'm just hoping I can get it to 100.000 without spending a lot although clutch probably won't last my distance. And suspension is squeeky.

Edited by youngalistai on 05/09/2022 at 16:41

Hyundai i30 - Hyundai - badbusdriver

Surprised at you giving it 3 out of 5 given what you have written about the car!. But you have not said the age?.

We had an i30 1.6 turbo diesel auto, got it new in 2014 and had it 3 years. No major complaints about it, it did nothing especially well, but nothing especially poorly either. Quick enough for my needs (this was the 110bhp version), the (t/c) auto box was smooth and worked well enough with the engine unless you floored it for an overtake. Doing this would result in you being dropped into too low a gear and a point in the rev range where there was no power left to find, only noise!. But it was comfy, fairly refined, and as spacious as a car of that size needed to be.