Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - macbook

Hi,

I'm looking for a reliable and relatively economical SUV with an automatic gearbox and a petrol engine. Are any of these any good, do they have any known problems with automatic gearbox or other issues etc?

1. Suzuki SX4 2013; 1.6 SZ4 5DR AUTO
2. Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 2013; 1.6 SZ5 SUV CVT ALLGRIP
2. Ford Ecosport 2015 rok; 1.5 Titanium 5Dr Powershift
3. Peugeot 2008, 2014 rok; 1.2 e-VTi
4. Vauxhall Mokka 2014;1.4T Auto
5. Subaru XV 2014 1.6i Lineartronic
6. Renault Captur 2013; 1.2 TCe Dynamique S EDC

Best Regards,
Tom

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - badbusdriver

1 - Thumbs up for reliability, not particularly efficient.

2 - Ditto.

3 - Generally regarded as a poor car all round by the motoring press (though owners like them), Powershift DCT auto unreliable.

3 - This will be an automated manual, probably single clutch. Not sure about specific reliability of the box (or car in general) but that type of box are not nice to drive.

4 - Generally reliable but very poor ride and will be pretty thirsty.

5 - Usually regarded as very reliable but will be pretty thirsty and parts rather expensive.

6 - This will have an automated manual (not sure if single or dual clutch, but both best avoided). Also question marks over the long term reliability of the engine.

If you give us some more info, alternative suggestions can be made (though don't get your hopes up re economy). Why an SUV?, how much space does the car need to have?, what is your budget?, what is your expected annual mileage (and what type of journeys, i.e, long or short)?

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - daveyjp

I'd go for the 2.0 XV, mpg won't suffer much and 150 bhp is better for lugging the 4x4 around.

If you do go for one first job for me would be a full gearbox oil change which includes removing the cover, replacing the strainer, the internal filter and cleaning the magnet. Some owners suggest adding another small magnet.

Videos on youtube on what is a straightforwards job.

My budget would be around 10k, but can stretch a little bit above. First I thought to buy Honda CR-V 2.0 I-Vtec. I have spoke with the Honda Service Manager, and I have been told that the petrol version is very reliable, no problems with them, have the classic 5-auto gearbox.

The only problem is for 10k, i can get the car model 2012-2013 up to 60k miles (which I think is max to be able to change the gear oil before any damage happen), and my wife is not happy with 10 year old car. She wants to buy newer 2015 and above. Other cons of CR-V is quiet expensive car insurance for me (1k a year), road tax and fuel economy urban around 30 mpg.

Hence I decided to forget about CR-V and I start looking for something newer (2015-), with mileage up to 60k, and SUV, as I have been driving Mazda 6 before, and I have back problem issue, when sitting in standard car. I have got a few test drives of CR-V and Ford Kuga and I very like the higher sitting position. Also we found, that we carry a lot of times something bulky in our old Mazda 6, so the bigger boot would be very practical.

I driving about 3-5 tys miles a year, so not much, mainly on short distances of few miles go and back.

I would be able to find Suzuki SX4 S-Cross around for around 10k, year 2015-2016,millage under 60k.

What kind of automatic gearbox is in the SX4- S-Cross 1.6 SZ-T ?

Is this would be the best reliable car (engine and gearbox) meeting the mentioned criteria and budget, or maybe you have other suggestions to buy other car and pay a little extra?

For example, it would be worth to pay extra for Subaru XV 2016 2.0i SE Petrol Lineartronic or Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 2017 1.0 Boosterjet Auto Euro 6 ? Is 1.0 engine in this car would not be too weak ?

Thanks,

Edited by macbook on 17/08/2022 at 19:05

The letters after 1.6 have nothing to do with it, that is just the trim level. First gen SX4 used a 4 speed T/C auto, second gen (when S-Cross was added) uses a CVT, and the facelifted (2016 on) cars use a 6 speed T/C auto.

my wife is not happy with 10 year old car. She wants to buy newer 2015 and above.

Bar one, all the cars you mentioned bar are older than 2015!

I driving about 3-5 tys miles a year, so not much, mainly on short distances of few miles go and back.

Not much point in worrying too much about economy if you are only going to be covering 3-5k miles per year. There is much more to the running costs of a car than simply mpg.

Also we found, that we carry a lot of times something bulky in our old Mazda 6, so the bigger boot would be very practical.

You say you want a bigger boot, but none of the cars you mention have a particularly big one. Your Mazda, assuming a 2nd gen hatchback, has a 510 litre boot capacity. Biggest of your own suggestions is the SX4 S-Cross with 430 litres (also the only one with more than 400 litres), smallest is the SX4 with 270 litres, barely bigger than a Fiesta of the time.

For example, it would be worth to pay extra for Subaru XV 2016 2.0i SE Petrol Lineartronic or Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 2017 1.0 Boosterjet Auto Euro 6 ? Is 1.0 engine in this car would not be too weak ?

The 1.0 Boosterjet in the SX4 S-Cross makes 160nm of torque from 1800-4000 rpm. The 2.0 in the XV makes 196nm @ 4200 rpm. So that is around 20% more torque, but the XV is around 20% heavier, and its peak torque is much higher up the rev range. The XV is faster (it has 150bhp vs the Suzuki's 111bhp), but you'd have to wring its neck to get that. At normal speeds I'd expect the Suzuki to feel at least as nippy as the XV, maybe more so. Unless you expect to often have a car full, I'd take the Suzuki.

".....There is much more to the running costs of a car than simply mpg. "

I start going round in a circle, and again considering, maybe I should get CR-V 2.0, which should be very reliable car and the gearbox should also last ?

What max millage I should looking for when looking used car with automatic gearbox?

Is Honda Cr-V a much higher running cost than the Suzuki one ?

Edited by macbook on 17/08/2022 at 20:23

What max millage I should looking for when looking used car with automatic gearbox?

I wouldn't really say there is a max miles, it isn't that simple.

A low miles car could easily be a worse purchase than a high miles one because most wear and tear on an engine happen while warming up and on short, stop start driving. A car which has spent the hours pounding motorways at the optimum rpm is going to have lead a much easier life.

The CR-V is a very reliable car, but then the Suzuki should be too. Not sure how much difference there would be in servicing costs, but the economy difference based on the real mpg figures on this website would work out around £8 per week (if doing 5k miles).

"I wouldn't really say there is a max miles, it isn't that simple"

So how I can determine during the buying process, if the car with higher millage (example 60-80k) would be not worse than these with 40-50k on the clock?

Can you advise please what is the most important things to consider a car being economy ? If I do low millage, this would be then not mpg, but others, like insurance, road tax, servicing, parts cost ? For example CV-R cost me more than Suzuki : Road tax: £130 more, Insurance:£150 more, and mpg is huge difference :

Suzuki: Urban 41.50 mpg; Combined 51.30 mp,

CR-V Urban 28.20 mpg,Combined 37.70 mpg

So the Suzuki would cost me less to pay for the mentioned above than Cr-V, but Honda Pro is better reliability and bigger boot and overall space.

Edited by macbook on 17/08/2022 at 21:13

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - Adampr

For.your requirements, I would be looking for an MPV like a Kia Carens, Seat Alhambra, Ford Galaxy or Vauxhall Zafira.

Why for me mpv not SUV ? I have a few driving test of CV-r and Ford Kuga and I very liked the comfort of sitting, I have symptomatic disc degeneration, and I can't stand driving in a standard hatchback anymore.

What about Suzuki Vitara 1.0 / 1.4 Boosterjet Euro 6 or Vitara 1.6 Auto ??

How they compare to each other and the SX4 S-Cross in terms of reliability of the engine and gearbox?

Edited by macbook on 17/08/2022 at 21:54

Why for me mpv not SUV ? I have a few driving test of CV-r and Ford Kuga and I very liked the comfort of sitting, I have symptomatic disc degeneration, and I can't stand driving in a standard hatchback anymore.

What about Suzuki Vitara 1.0 / 1.4 Boosterjet Euro 6 or Vitara 1.6 Auto ??

How they compare to each other and the SX4 S-Cross in terms of reliability of the engine and gearbox?

I'm picking up on BBD's point that every vehicle you have suggested has a smaller boot than a Mazda 6 so won't help with practicality. MPVs obviously have a lot more room in them and, because they're less fashionable, you will get a newer vehicle for your money than an SUV.

Vitaras are well thought of, but I doubt they have a huge amount of boot space either.

Edit - most MPVs have an upright driving position too. In fact, maybe consider something van-based like a Citroen Berlingo Multispace or Peugeot Partner Teepee which would be super-practical and have a very upright seat. Some versions of these look a bit SUV-like.

Edited by Adampr on 17/08/2022 at 22:12

Edit - most MPVs have an upright driving position too. In fact, maybe consider something van-based like a Citroen Berlingo Multispace or Peugeot Partner Teepee which would be super-practical and have a very upright seat. Some versions of these look a bit SUV-like.

Thank you. I will look for some MPV too now, if they provide similar upright driving position. I need to do research which Make / Model would have good engine + automatic gearbox, and are overall reliable cars.

Is there any website, where I can find detailed car specification, like what kind of gearbox it has, auto, CTV etc?

Edited by macbook on 18/08/2022 at 12:52

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - John F

Can you advise please what is the most important things to consider a car being economy ? If I do low millage, this would be then not mpg, but others, like insurance, road tax, servicing, parts cost ?

You don't mention the most important thing of all. For houses, it is location, location, location. For cars it is depreciation, depreciation, depreciation. For a low mileage driver, if you pick the right used cars and keep them long enough, it is measured in not thousands, but merely hundreds of pounds a year. (Or, in the case of my 42yr old TR7, nil ;-).

And if your budget will stretch, consider a post 2016 Peugeot 2008 with the excellent EAT6 (Aisin) box. We have one, and I commend it.

First gen SX4 used a 4 speed T/C auto, second gen (when S-Cross was added) uses a CVT, and the facelifted (2016 on) cars use a 6 speed T/C auto.

I have found now that the new petrol engines have a DCT NOT a T/C auto, so feel consfused?

"If you need an automatic, then the DCT gearbox is worth a look. While it's a bit jerky at low speeds, it shifts through the gears quickly and seamlessly when you're on the open road."

www.carbuyer.co.uk/suzuki/sx4/sx4-s-cross-suv/engi...s

Edited by macbook on 18/08/2022 at 15:01

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - Engineer Andy

First gen SX4 used a 4 speed T/C auto, second gen (when S-Cross was added) uses a CVT, and the facelifted (2016 on) cars use a 6 speed T/C auto.

I have found now that the new petrol engines have a DCT NOT a T/C auto, so feel consfused?

"If you need an automatic, then the DCT gearbox is worth a look. While it's a bit jerky at low speeds, it shifts through the gears quickly and seamlessly when you're on the open road."

www.carbuyer.co.uk/suzuki/sx4/sx4-s-cross-suv/engi...s

I'd be wary of buying secondhand cars with DCTs, except perhaps those from Hyundai/KIA, where they've generally been proven to be more reliable. Others from (say) BMW and Suzuki may well prove to be reliable as well, but perhaps haven't been around long enough or been sold in large enough numbers worldwide (yet) to know for certain.

Bear in mind that DCTs are essentially as a manual but with twin computer-controlled clutches. They can wear just as easily as a manual clutch, possibly even quicker when used in stop-start urban traffic when the driver isn't aware that the system is continually slipping the clutch when they keep edging forward at low speed.

With TC ('proper') and the better quality (Toyota/Lexus) CVT boxes, that sort of usage will not wear the system anywhere near as much, as long as it's well maintained. TC boxes have improved in terms of efficiency (and how much of performance penalty they have over manuals, DCTs and CVTs) and are nice and smooth. Aside from Toyotas/Lexuses, they are, of the three types, still the most long lived 'auto' boxes.

Speaking personally, I'd worry far less (even now) about mpg and more about meeting the spatial, performance, comfort and reliability/longevity needs, as they have a decent impact on both the ownership experience and can affect the lifetime running cost more than just fuel efficiency.

Similarly, make sure whoever you get the car maintained with is honest and knows what they are doing - that'll be far less stressful and a lot less draining on the wallet.

You may also find that - aside from mobility issues that may preclude some low-slung cars (you'd also be surprised that some SUVs aren't that easy to get in to / out of), but back problems (I've had them) often come from:

1. Cars with (significantly) offset steering wheels and/or pedals;

2. Poorly adjusted seats and steering wheel. My old Micra just needed the seat one notch forward and my back problems reduced significantly. WIth my current Mazda3, the addition of reach as well as rake on the steering collumn and lumbar adjustment on the seat improved things yet further that I've since had no further issues related to driving;

3. Some cars may not have fully adjustable seats and steering collumns. For men of average height, I'd suggest as a minimum they would need to come with steerting wheel reach adjustment as well as rake, plus the normal seat adjustments.

For people who are tall (over, say, 6ft 2in) or short (under 5ft 4in, so mainly women, i.e. this could affect your partner), the seat height adjustment may be a worthwhile function to look for.

Newer and/or more luxurious/high spec cars are more likely to have more of these ergonomic features. Either way, getting in a good long test drive over different road types you're likely to drive on and difference speeds (including that make good use of the gears) to gauge the performance, comfort (including ride quality) and handling is a must.

Also make sure the spatial requirements are met - I take my maximum load things - suitcase, holiday provisions box, golf trolley (box) and golf bag to see if they fit in the boot. Many modern boots are not anywhere near the actual size they blurb says as they include quite a bit of the area under the main boot floor which cannot be used to house large items.

I'd also make sure that - for people with back problems, that the ride quality on poorer surfaced roads and over speed humps is good enough. Many cars, including SUVs (especially later and higher trim level models) are shod on large alloy wheels and large diameter, low profile tyres.

This results in a much firmer ride than when shod on 'sensible' (standard, i.e. very common) sized wheels and higher profile tyres, plus they cost a LOT more to replace, are far more susceptible to damage and generally don't last as long. You could be shelling out an extra £250 - £300 extra for a new set of tyres (never mind the alloys) and in half to two-thirds the time.

The difference in grip levels in normal driving for non-performance cars is minimal for (otherwise identical) good quality tyres, plus higher profile tyres (especially all-season ones) are quieter, give a softer ride, are better in snow and protecting against aquaplaining.

Best of luck.

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - SLO76
With your limited mileage in mind economy is less of an issue, I’d prioritise reliability over this for overall running costs and peace of mind. If it must be an SUV then (if budget allows) I’d stick with a Mk IV Honda CRV 2.0 petrol auto, these are robust and long lived if looked after. They’re vast inside, well made and safe. They’re well regarded by the trade and owners alike so resale is always easy for a decent one, or a ratty one for that matter. Rust and lacquer peel are issues on all of them but less so on the Mk IV.

Which car in your opinion is better with the similar millage, a newer car (2016 - ) but with worse reliability (like Suzuki), or older car (2010-2013) but knows for better reliability like Toyota or Honda?

I tried to explain for my wife that the older Honda or Toyota might serve longer than a newer Suzuki, but she thinks that the newer car is better, as if we want buy a car for a next x years (like 10 years we have Mazda 6 2009), it will be becoming older and older, becoming finally 20 years old if we want keep it for the next 10 years?

I also find interesting Toyota car, which I did not see before (Toyota Verso 1.8 V-Matic or 1.33 M-Drive). It has good mpg, low insurance, low tax, should be comfy for my back problems, but the only downside is the 7 Speed M-Drive Auto, which I believe is CVT, so wondering if as used car might be a risky to buy, as this transmission might not last next x years. There is a quiet few of them on auto-trader, models from 2010-2016.

What do you think, is the Toyota Verso would be better choice than Suzuki S-Cross or Honda CR-V ?
Can you please have a look on autotrader, which year and millage to consider for Toyota Verso, of course if they are good car ?

The cheapest Toyota Verso 2012 (62 reg) VVT-I T SPIRIT 1.3 with 90tys miles on the clock, can get for only £5,790 ?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208158785419?b...e

I'm feel very confused, how I should decide which offer is the best, as some cars have lower millage and are older, other newer have higher millage, and when it's worth to pay extra for selected car with lower millage or newer model. How do you deal with this, when you buy a car?

Is any of them could be a good choice ?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201221655320?b...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208118679538?b...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202207258110022?b...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208068525077?b...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112170607468?b...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208168844681?b...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202206026425042?b...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208138754026?p...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208078546740?p...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208128726873?p...e

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202092335804?p...e

Edited by macbook on 19/08/2022 at 10:59

Only you can decide what works best for you. There is some good advice in this thread about how to do that.

There is nothing wrong with Versos that I know of.

In terms of mileage Vs age, you're much better off looking at condition and history. A ten year old Renault that's been looked after would be a better bet than a five year old Toyota that's never had a service, for example. Start with something known to be reliable, which you have kind of done, then find a good one. High mileage or age aren't necessarily a problem if everything has been replaced when it should be.

Firstly I was thinking to buy the RAV-4 (2013- ), until I found out, that the petrol version has CVT, and the recommended one is the hybrid version after 2016, with e-CTV, which is much better, but also quite expensive, as they cost over 16k. Hence I then switch to CR-V petrol, as they have 5 auto transmissions, the only problem is the 2016 model after a facelift is the recommended one, and they cost around 15k. So then start considering Suzuki, and finally Toyota Verso. What do you think guys, which of these 4 cars (SX4-Cross, Verso, CR-V, RAV-4) would be the best bet for my needs??

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - bazza

I'm not sure where you got the notion that Suzuki is somehow not reliable? They are without doubt one of the most reliable makes on the road! And good value too. An s cross or Vitara petrol would suit you fine I'm sure, you can pick up a nice 3 year old one for 12k or so. The reviews all rate them as great to drive, the only point against being some cheaper utilitarian plastics in the cabin, but to be honest does that matter when the engineering is top notch! There is nothing wrong with Toyota either but with a choice between newer Suzuki or much older Toyota I would go with the Suz.

I'm not sure where you got the notion that Suzuki is somehow not reliable?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hBwkA4SSSo

I watched recently this guy (Scotty Kilmer) on YT, where he "Ranked All Asian Car Brands from Worst to Best" as follow:

8. Suzuki (underpowered garbage, especially with AT,)

7. Nissan (once took over by Renault, quality go down, engines problems, Jatco automatic transmission failures - crap)

6. Mitshubishi

5.Subaru

4. Hyundai / Kia

3. Mazda

2. Honda

1.Toyota

This what he told about Suzuki cars, makes me worry, that SX4-Cross will be underpowered garbage especially with AT, but he talked about previous generations in USA, so now they might be different...

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - Heidfirst

i was actually just going to suggest the Verso 1.8 M-Drive if you could get past the SUV requirement. It's a very reliable gearbox but expensive to fix if it does go wrong & few automatic transmission specialists capable of working on it (tbh I think that dealers just tend to swap gearboxes out if required).

Subject to annual service at a dealer & mileage (100k) you can keep a Toyota in the UK in manufacturer warranty for up until just short of 11 years from registration & iirc 2018 was last registration for that model in the UK.

The earlier model 1.3 is a very different car from the later & larger 1.8.

It's a very reliable gearbox but expensive to fix if it does go wrong & few automatic transmission specialists capable of working on it ( I think that dealers just tend to swap gearboxes out if required)

It can be reliable and worth to buy from new and took care of it (changing transmission oil as required), but when I buy used car, it can be a trap if it's failure soon or later after the purchase ??

Car with Classic TC transmission would be more safe option in that scenario ? Am I right ?

So you much more recommend the 1.8 rather than 1.3 ? How are they very different?

If the Suzuki SX4-Cross are very reliable and have also reliable transmission, I think I would choose it, apart from others. Don't want risk with Toyota CVT box.

Only the post lift version of S-Cross have 6 speed Automatic (Not CVT), so will looking for only that's models. They are two versions 1.0 and 1.4 Boosterjet engines. The 1.0 cost less, has £100 lower road tax and better mpg than 1.4. How are they different ? In my are there is only 1.0 to take test drive, so would be good to know how the 1.4 is different?

Edited by macbook on 19/08/2022 at 13:01

Hmmmmnm, Scotty Kilmer is very interesting but he's also somewhat variable! His experience is limited to USA, where Suzuki withdrew from the market due to lack of sales, hardly surprising given the American taste for huge capacity heavyweight gas guzzlers. Suzkis offering of small economical lightweight runabouts didn't find favour. In Europe and the rest of the world it's a different story, I would take his advice with a pinch of salt. He doesn't like Kia or Hyundai or in fact pretty much anything that's not a 20 year old Toyota! Even so I like watching him! But back to the here and now, I would still recommend the Vitara or Scross if you want a modern reliable crossover.

So I have option now Suzuki SX4 S-Cross with the engine 1.0 / 1.4 Boosterjet with the 6 Auto gearbox or Vitara 1.6 / 1.0-1.4 Boosterjet which also have 6 auto gearbox.

Which engines would be more reliable / better, the boosterjet or the old 1.6 in Vitara ?

Thanks mates!

Edited by macbook on 19/08/2022 at 13:20

They all have a good reputation but the 1.0 & 1.4 are turbo petrols, the 1.6 is non turbo. The two turbo engines are likely to drive better with more low down torque in everyday driving plus better economy. Providing they are serviced properly I'd go with one of those, although if I saw a very good deal on a good 1.6 that would also be fine. Longevity wise I don't hear anything bad about any of those motors

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - Ethan Edwards

There's a superb example of a 1.4t Vitara for sale in Kidderminster. Just Google FV67CKL and it'll take you straight to it. 28,800 carefully driven miles, fsh etc.

Economical SUV with an automatic gearbox - Heidfirst

It's a very reliable gearbox but expensive to fix if it does go wrong & few automatic transmission specialists capable of working on it ( I think that dealers just tend to swap gearboxes out if required)

It can be reliable and worth to buy from new and took care of it (changing transmission oil as required), but when I buy used car, it can be a trap if it's failure soon or later after the purchase ??

Well, that can be true of any car. But as I mentioned you can keep a 2018 registered Verso in warranty up to 100k/2029 with annual dealer service.

Car with Classic TC transmission would be more safe option in that scenario ? Am I right ?

In that more 3rd parties can deal with a TC gearbox, yes.

So you much more recommend the 1.8 rather than 1.3 ? How are they very different?

The 1.3 is based on the Yaris platform, the 1.8 Verso is based on the same platform as Avensis - much bigger.

Edited by Heidfirst on 19/08/2022 at 18:13