Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - privateinvestor

My friend purchased a used Volvo on an approved used scheme "Volvo Select". Within 30 days an oil level warning light came on stating that the oil level is to high and requires adjustments. This has happened on 4 occasions and each time Volvo has recommended an oil change. No solution to the problem has been found. VolVo UK have suggested a vacuum leak test to be carried out? It further transpires that Volvo dealer and or Vlvo UK are saying it is down to driving style. The car is used at night as a executive tax and does on average 100 miles per shift in South West London/ Surrey. The car has done 10 k miles since purchased and has 6 months of warranty remaining. The first issue was reported within 30 days. Prior to this my friend drove over 500k miles on two Mercedes E Class Diesels with no DPF issues.

Thanks for any advice/comments and suggestions.

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - Dorset123

This is caused by the car trying to regen itself and when this happens more fuel is used to raise the temp to help clear the DPF some of this fuel can end up in the sump which is not good as a diesel can run on its own oil which is very bad and would cause engine failure. If it is doing short journeys and idling a lot this will cause this.

He drives 100 miles per shift, mostly early evening and nights.

Edited by privateinvestor on 17/03/2022 at 22:28

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - David Hepworth

I have the same issue with oil over fill, I have just had to change the oil again after a service I had six months ago. My question is, how do you know when the car is doin a regen? My last diesel used to rev higher so I would sit in it until it stopped. I can't tell with the S90 D40. When the diagnostic machine was plugged in, it said it had multiple failed regenerations

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - craig-pd130

I had a V60 with essentially the same VEA 2.0 litre twin-turbo diesel engine as in the S90, and had zero DPF issues in 3 years ownership despite my daily commute being 4 miles to work and 4 miles home again, with an occasional long run a couple of times per month.

Have a look at this post from Volvoforums.org.uk about the issue, it can apparently be caused by incorrect calibration of the electronic oil level gauge: www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300797&...n

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - Scotjimland

as previously mentioned each time it regens some diesel goes into the sump which over time raises the oil lever until it requires changing.

I had a diesel pick-up and it was regening every 80 or so miles, and the oil level was building up in the sump due to diesel dilution, it was back to the dealer numerous times but never resolved despite having the DPF filter cleaned, DPF filter pressure sensor changed, and new injectors,

Frequent cold starts and short trips are generally the cause and also not allowing the regen cycle to complete before stopping. This can cause the DPF filter to become partially blocked which in turn causes more frequent regens, a vicious cycle

In the end I sold my truck and bought a petrol engined Volvo

thanks

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - DavidGlos
Does the 100 mile shift involve longer spells at motorway speeds, where the DPF can regenerate? If it’s just pottering about and doing stop/start work in a predominant urban environment, perhaps the Volvo DPF set up can’t cope with this in the same way as the Mercedes arrangement?

If it’s doing frequent longer trips within the 100 mile shift, it definitely sounds faulty to me

Is a mixture in urban south west London, Heathrow and Gatwick runs mostly at night.

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - sammy1

Sounds like the Volvo is not fit for purpose. Reject before it blows up. I don't know why consumers put up with problems like these that a dealer has no answer for>

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - skidpan

Sounds like the Volvo is not fit for purpose. Reject before it blows up. I don't know why consumers put up with problems like these that a dealer has no answer for>

The OP's last post was 16 months ago.

In that time it will either have been

1 Sorted

2 Sold

3 Exploded

Think you need to check dates before posting.

But lets look on the bright side, at least there is no anti EV content in your post.

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - sammy1

"""hink you need to check dates before posting.

But lets look on the bright side, at least there is no anti EV content in your post."""

Misery, Why throw in an insult? What's a digit in a date, may be the guy who resurrected this will take heed. For the record sceptical on EVs like millions of other sensible people. EVs could be a financial disaster like a lot of diesels to folk

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - skidpan

may be the guy who resurrected this will take heed

I hope you do.

If you look it was YOU who resurrected it 16 months after the last post.

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - Xileno

If you look it was someone else not sammy1.

None of this is relevant, so please return to the original subject now

Thanks

Mod

Volvo S90 - Oil dilution/DPF - edlithgow

I dont have any experience of DPF or catalyst equipped vehicles, and dont much want any, but the usage pattern described seems like it should allow passive DPF regen.

Classically, oil dilution is down to excess fuelling (faulty injector) and/or excess blowby. possibly caused by bore wear or stuck piston rings.

Bore and/or ring wear would normally imply a high total mileage, which is not given

I dont have any experience with modern (OBD2 etc) cars either, but understand they should report fueling data to tell you if they are running rich, (Not sure if this applies to diesels) and/or you could get an emission test done.

Compression or leakdown test would tell you if excessive blowby is likely,

I dunno why the garage recommend a vacuum leak test, which "classically" wouldn't be relevant to a diesel, but I recall a "modern" VW diesel mentioned fairly recently had design features that rendered it subject to vacuum leaks, so perhaps this Volvo has been "enhaced" in the same way.

If you've got excessive blowby that's likely to require an engine strip, though unclogging rings (brake fluid or other solvent soak) and a catch can might help a bit

Edited by edlithgow on 23/07/2023 at 09:06