VW GOLF 1.6tdi - Heating system flush - privateinvestor

I have reported on this before, but as its getting cold I have to fix my cars lack of heating, a large has quoted £500 for a heater matrix fully fitted, though others have quoted upwards of £1000 saying its a pig of a job. A number of you tube videos seem to suggest that the entire dashboard does not need taking out and that it can done from the footwells only removing parts of the lower dash. As a first step I will try a cooling system flush and see if that makes a difference. One garage quoted me £250 for a flush - trying it on!! I have used a temperature probe and a 30C temperature difference between inlet and outlet pies that feed into the matrix was observed. I will try a reverse flush. Is it worthwhile putting some cooling system flush directly into the pipes that feed the matrix or should cooling flush be added into the header tank?

Thanks for replies.

VW GOLF 1.6tdi - Heating system flush - Big John

Have you solved the base problem first - does it still have the "silicat" bag in the header tank. What does the coolant look like.

Usually when the matrix is blocked with silicat - reverse flushing doesn't do the job. but whatever you do don't do the job without resolving the causing issue otherwise it'll recur!

VW GOLF 1.6tdi - Heating system flush - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t waste your time . Needs a heater matrix . No amount of flushing will very often not unblock these . It’s not dash out , but needs removal of lower console and dash panels .

I agree.

VW GOLF 1.6tdi - Heating system flush - edlithgow
No amount of flushing will very often not unblock these .

Is that a double or a triple negative? Can't work it out.

However, whatever, the "very often" bit seems to leave open the possibility that it might sometimes work, and so be worth a try.

Not for 250 quid though.

Why a new thread?

However - This can be a heads up for other VAG owners to check their coolant header tanks - it they have "mit silikat" stamped on them then either get the bag removed (carefully) or replace the header tank with a version without the offending bag.

Most recentish versions with small petrol engines don't have it but bigger petrol versions and diesels generally may do.

Edited by Big John on 17/11/2021 at 19:12

VW GOLF 1.6tdi - Heating system flush - Steveieb

I have to defer to Elecki s knowledge but I had the problem fixed on my A4 with a change of thermostat ?

Expect this has already been tried ?

Update. Had the flush not a straightforward job but what we did has restored the heating to about 30% efficiency.

VW GOLF 1.6tdi - Heating system flush - bathtub tom

Update. Had the flush not a straightforward job but what we did has restored the heating to about 30% efficiency.

I have used a temperature probe and a 30C temperature difference between inlet and outlet pies that feed into the matrix

And the difference is............................................?

The garage noted the temperature difference between the two pipes that feed the heater matrix; car seems to warm up fairly quickly to 90 and stays at 90 when driven at speed. I assume its the matrix.

Edited by privateinvestor on 03/12/2021 at 18:55