Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - Will deBeast

We sold our caravan earlier in the summer, and it is time to sell the towcar - a 2016 Kia Sorento.

It's in decent shape. A bad stone chip in the driver's door. A scrape on the top of the rear bumper cover where I dropped something metal. And an area of slightly dull paint from a repair a few years back. Minor corrosion on a couple of the alloys.

The interior was fine. New (13 month) MOT. Recent major service.

Kia dealer offered £17,500. Starting price from WBAC was £19,000. I assumed £18,000 or a little less after they've done their evaluations. Motorway were suggesting £19,800 if it was perfect - but no guarantees.

Cazoo offered £19,100 if it was in excellent condition. Strangely they also offered £19,100 if it was in average condition. Deduct £50 if you want them to pick it up.

They sent a covered truck to collect it. The driver rated the car as 'good', and the money was in my account before the truck left our road.

All in all, very pleased.

Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - SLO76
Sounds like a lot of money. I have often wonder how these firms turn a profit. For example, I was recently offered just over £14,400 for swmbo’s 2014 Volvo XC60 by WBAC which is very close to what I paid for it from a Volvo main dealer nearly a year ago. Where’s the margin?

Edited by SLO76 on 27/07/2021 at 08:17

Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - daveyjp
Sounds like a lot of money. I have often wonder how these firms turn a profit. For example, I was recently offered just over £14,400 for swmbo’s 2014 Volvo XC60 by WBAC which is very close to what I paid for it from a Volvo main dealer nearly a year ago. Where’s the margin?

Very few buyers pay cash. The margin is in the next finance package, which on used PCPs can be very profitable,

Sounds like a lot of money...

I agree. WBAC were offering £16,300 for the same car last November.

I think the combination of scarce new stock, the car being 7 seats and LEZ compliant all help.

Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - Alby Back
All of our cars appear to be "worth" considerably more than they were three months ago, but I suppose replacing any of them would cost more too. Not that we're about to sell or buy anything for now, they're all fulfilling their intended purposes well enough.
Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - Xileno

That's the thing, get more for your current car but have to pay more for the next. A bit like house prices. I've heard prices at the lower end of the market (up to about £3000) is really strong at the moment as people who used to commute to work by bus or train are buying a cheap commuting car, presumably with a view to selling it when things return to 'normal'.

Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - Rerepo

Cazoo lost almost £300 on every car it sold in 2020 and made less than £150 per car in 2021. Its all about sales figures at the moment - expecting a $7bn flotation on the NYSE very soon. 'Real' used car dealers make about 10x the Cazoo figure..

Well the Sorento is now up for sale on the Cazoo site, priced at £22,100. That seems a fair price, given that I suspect the trade price has gone up since I sold it to them.

They've refurbished the wheels, but not fixed the stonechip in the driver's door. And the SD Card for the satnav seems to have been removed/stolen since I last saw it.

Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - _

Go to Autotrader, (others are available) find a kia sportage 1 with my current mileage, 11588 registered 03.03 2020 and look at the price offered... so

WBAC are actually offering more than I paid for it a year last march,

Nuts, but happy with it, zero problems.

and to buy a repcement kia sportage 2, (1 no longer on sale) an extra £4000

Edited by _ORB_ on 25/08/2021 at 19:15

Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - daveyK_UK
Hi,
Anyone took a car into a Cazoo centre to sell it?
A friend up north has a quote from them which is £150 more than WBAC and no silly admin fees.
Kia Sorento - Selling - good experience with Cazoo - daveyK_UK
The feedback is Cazoo is the best car selling experience they have ever had.

5 minute paperwork, document and ID checks, 10 minute car check, 5 mins moving car across to a secure compound and final details into the cazoo staffs iPad, money in account within 2 mins of completion.
He got 2 texts immediately as the staff member told him it was complete; the first to confirm, the sale and the money transfer and a second text a minute later confirming the transfer was complete.

Finally, they matched the agreed quote and condition report.
Even though his car was classed as excellent they permitted a scuff on one alloy and a chip on passenger door.

His small talk with cazoo staff member revealed the firms plan is to break even for next few years and focus on growing and conquering the used car market across Europe for vehicles upto 5 years of age.