Honda deauville - Carburetor forums or sites - bike issues. - myjess

I have asked this on a few forums and since this is such a good one, I think it is a good idea to ask here too in case there are more/better answers/explanations.

Replaced chrome exhaust header pipes with stainless steel. No re-jetting according to the manufacturer.

Same silencer(also aftermarket from same manufacturer) already on bike, perviously caused no issues.

I want to try to understand why I am getting exhaust backfire on overrun, sometimes a phhfft backfire in the air box, hesitation after overrun when accelerating again like fuel starvation,, pulsing or jerking on a steady throttle. Applying the choke negates a lot of this but not completely. Bike idling and wide open throttle acceleration are perfectly ok.

I have heard a lean issue might cause this, but if so, why the exhaust backfire on overrun?

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Honda deauville - Carburetor forums or sites - bike issues. - bathtub tom

I've had similar on an older 'bike. An older and wiser head told me it could be air leaking into the exhaust where the pipe went into the head. I re-made the joint with exhaust paste and it cured the problem.

I couldn't figure out how it would make a difference, nor how air could leak in without any evidence of exhaust blowing out.

Honda deauville - Carburetor forums or sites - bike issues. - craig-pd130

The aftermarket header pipes maybe need sealing with high-temp RTV where they meet the exhaust gasket. If that doesn't cure it, it's also possible the aftermarket headers have a slightly different (larger) internal diameter to the factory originals. Original headers are often double-skinned (smaller ID), and I suspect the stainless replacements are not.

The different ID will alter the fuel/air mix a little, especially in high-vacuum situations such as on the overrun or steady light throttle. You might be able to dial out the problem by playing with the pilot screw setting. Manuals will usually give a pilot screw setting with a range of plus or minus a quarter of a turn. Whichever is the richer direction for your pilot screws, try half a turn in the richer direction and see if it improves things.