Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - Steveieb

Story in the Telegraph about a 70 year old having a forty minute ordeal when she tried to withdraw £3500 to buy a car.

Hats off to the Bank ?

Cant be too careful .

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - _

Will let it float a bit, but will move to general a bit later.

I took an Auntie to Natwest a while back and they checked.. manager came out and recognised me.. ok.

Well done that bank too!

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - Engineer Andy

Story in the Telegraph about a 70 year old having a forty minute ordeal when she tried to withdraw £3500 to buy a car.

Hats off to the Bank ?

Cant be too careful .

I think they went overboard, when a quiet conversation lasting just a few minutes would've sufficed to determine whether the person was compos mentis and knew what they were doing. As usual, an over-reaction to a genuine problem that adversely affects many more than needed.

Still, better than allowing all transactions and then denying compensation if the money spent was scammed.

I wonder whether the lady could not have bought the car using her credit card, given most people would have a limit of significantly more than £3.5k. Or a banker's draft?

The specific car she bought must've been horrendous on depreciation, given it's supposed to be amongst the top spec.

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - badbusdriver

The cheapest Fiesta Vignale on Autotrader is a 2018 CAT S (repaired) with 7k miles for £8990, so the £3.5k was either a deposit or part of the payment (maybe the rest was under the mattress?)

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - focussed

The last car I bought in the UK was paid for by using my Natwest debit card for an amount in excess of £20,000 at a respectable dealer.

I was going to fly over from France to Birmingham and thence to the dealer.

I asked how they wanted it paid for, bank transfer etc after i had paid the deposit on my Visa card. They just said to use your UK bank debit card.

Yikes! I had never heard of that before so checked up with NatWest - all ok!

So at the dealer I stuck the card in the machine and entered the four digit code - all ok again.

Nobody asked me if I was compos mentis!

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - FP

"I wonder whether the lady could not have bought the car using her credit card"

If it was a dealer they probably won't accept a credit card as payment for anything more than a few hundred quid for a deposit. That has been my experience, anyway.

"Or a banker's draft?" With a banker's draft, you usually need to give your bank 24 hours’ notice to prepare it, and they will probably charge for the service. Again, not popular with car dealers, as there are many ways to transfer money to and from your bank account that are faster and safer than using a banker’s draft.

I have successfully used a debit card, which in one case alarmed my bank, almost instantly resolved via a phone call.

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - bathtub tom

Simple, use a credit card for a £100 deposit and pay the rest by any other means. That way you get section ( whatever) protection. The last dealer I used by that had absolutely no problem.

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - Engineer Andy

"I wonder whether the lady could not have bought the car using her credit card"

If it was a dealer they probably won't accept a credit card as payment for anything more than a few hundred quid for a deposit. That has been my experience, anyway.

"Or a banker's draft?" With a banker's draft, you usually need to give your bank 24 hours’ notice to prepare it, and they will probably charge for the service. Again, not popular with car dealers, as there are many ways to transfer money to and from your bank account that are faster and safer than using a banker’s draft.

I have successfully used a debit card, which in one case alarmed my bank, almost instantly resolved via a phone call.

When I bought my (new) Mazda3 from Motorpoint back in 2006, I paid the deposit (admitedly only £250 if I recall) by credit card (debit card was an option but back then, the newer laws on protection from fraud for them hadn't come in), with the remainder paid by Building Society cheque - which was easily obtained and I don't recall costing me that much, at least back then.

Perhaps a small vendor might go for cash only, but I would be surprised if a high-spec car like that would, at least for now, be offered at one. They tend to sell cars under £5k, and as BBD right pointed out to me earlier, this money may have been a deposit.

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - daveyK_UK
There is a notorious local car dealer (who had folded his car sales company 3 times to only recommence sales the following week under a new company name) who has broken the Covid 19 pandemic trend.
Where a majority of smaller shops have stated ‘card payment only’ to remove the risk of catching the disease from handling cash, he has gone the other way and demanded all cars must only be paid for with cash.

It amazes me he is still trading from the same premises all these years despite negative press reports and a bad reputation locally.
I can only assume it’s others less clued up and from outside the area who buy his vehicles.

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - sammy1

Banks are very good when you are paying in but can be dam awkward when you want a large some back!. With so many scammers preying on pensioners can understand why

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - joegrundy

Before I retired I was a Fraud Squad DI, and saw the effects of scams on many victims - disproportionately the elderly who tended to have cash available and (sorry to say) tended to be a bit naieve and believe in honesty and trustworthiness. It wasn't only the financial losses, it was the blow to self-confidence, the feeling of having been stupid, and so on.

I am pleased that after much urging in national fora, banks are asking questions when the apparently vulnerable are seeking to undertake unusual transactions. I know personally of cases where vulnerable people were taken to the bank by scammers (that's too insipid a word - I mean by threatening criminal thugs) to withdraw money to pay for 'roof repairs' or 'drive resurfacing' etc. You get my drift.

I'd go further and commend the banks who have trained their staff to be suspicious and call the police - though I'm not confident as to the police response nowadays.

No legitimate business is upset by delays in payment caused by due diligence, and with businesses increasingly being targetted by payment scams most appreciate the efforts to root out this stuff.

When buying a car from a dealer there are degrees of safety. Dealers can operate as limted companies which can rise and fall like a tart's knickers (to quote Princess Di) and you have no chance of redress.

Cash is the riskiest; bank transfers can at least be traced but there's no statutory protection; debit cards offer the remote possibility of a 'chargeback'; credit cards make the credit card company jointly liable with the dealer under s.75 CCA.

(It is unlawful for a dealer to seek to charge extra for payments made by debit or credit cards.)

The safest way is to take out a PCP/HP agreement, even if you pay it off immediately. That way, your contract is with the finance company, not the dealer (in law, the finance company buys the car from the dealer and supplies it to you). The finance company is liable for your rights under consumer legislation and is -crucially- regulated by FCA so the Financial Ombudsman can get involved. best of all, pay a significant deposit on credit card as well. I had an interesting situation where Lloyds Banking Group Mastercard were jointly liable with Lloyds Banking Group (Suzuki Finance Ltd). It worked out ok in the end but was slow yet entertaining.

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - focussed

Quite apart from all the connotations of him possibly fiddling his business tax by dealing solely in cash, the big advantage to him in not taking credit cards is he avoids Section 75 liability comebacks entirely!

Or possibly it's because none of the card merchant companies will have anything to do with him!

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - joegrundy

Hats off to the Bank ?

Cant be too careful .

"Ordeal"? Really? Was it trial by fire, the ducking stool, or on the rack? Or was it a diligent bank doing its best to look after a customer? (Some customers can't be helped.)

There's a reason I don't bother to read the newspapers.

PS: I'm nearly 70 - that's the 'new 50' isn't it? Why bother to mention that as if it's some sort of general disability and sign of decrepitude?

Bah humbug.

Ford Fiiesta Vignale - Pensioner interrogated by Bank when she withdrew m - Sprice

Apart from some tenuous suggestion it was for a car, what's this thread have to do with motoring?

Now moved to General forum - mod

Edited by Xileno on 23/07/2021 at 09:00