Ford Fiesta - Brake pedal feel changed - Fiesta1234

I have recently put some mintex m1144 pads on my car with new discs and did the bed in procedure. After this the pedal felt solid and the brakes came on almost instantly when pressing the pedal. Now after a couple of weeks, the pedal feels softer. There is no air or anything in the lines because the pedal too begin with was solid so could this be something too do with the pads needing to properly bed in or? The brakes work brilliantly and stop me really quickly but I feel I need too press the pedal a bit further than when I first put the pads in.

Cheers for any help

Ford Fiesta - Brake pedal feel changed - elekie&a/c doctor
If it was my car , I’d bin those Mintex pads and put in some genuine Ford parts . Good feel and good stopping power .
Ford Fiesta - Brake pedal feel changed - Bolt
If it was my car , I’d bin those Mintex pads and put in some genuine Ford parts . Good feel and good stopping power .

I agree, if your not happy go back to Ford ones, imo should have used them in the first place as not everyone is happy with Mintex due to the makeup of pad...

Ford Fiesta - Brake pedal feel changed - edlithgow

Your car stops when you press the brake pedal. What more do you want?

Congratulate yourself on a job well done.

I suppose you might get a bit more pedal movement due to the pads bedding in, essentially removing high spots.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pedal feel changed - Cris_on_the_gas

Park the car up. Get something to press the brake pedal hard on. Leave overnight. Try brake pedal pressure in the morning.

Tiny bits of air get forced out of the system.

I have tried pumping the pedal at idle and the pedal doesn't get harder so it doesn't seem like there is any air in there. The pedal goes solid when pumping with the engine off. If I'm rolling slowly and press the brakes slightly it does stop and can hold the car with the pedal slightly depressed, maybe an inch or so. Just weird how the pedal went from solid too feeling like I have too press the pedal a bit further but when the brakes come on they stop the car brilliantly. Should I just live with it?

These pads are for fast road use and track . What fiesta do you have ?

2006 1.6 petrol

Realistically, these pads are not Suitable for this car .

They are stopping the car really well and are miles better than the rubbish oe pads. Just wondering why the pedal has a bit more travel than at the start. Not bothered about binning pads or swapping them.

They are stopping the car really well and are miles better than the rubbish oe pads. Just wondering why the pedal has a bit more travel than at the start. Not bothered about binning pads or swapping them.

I would hardly call oem pads rubbish, but the pedal travel would be to do with servo pressure on the master cylinder which will fluctuate on all brake pedal presses not by much but enough to notice...nothing to worry about

Alright brilliant, just been for a drive and the brakes stop me really well. Doesn't feel mushy or anything, just a bit of travel before they really come on but if it's all alright then I'm happy.

Ford Fiesta - Brake pedal feel changed - bathtub tom

Why fit 'boy racer' parts to a shopping car?

I'm going too try this method of leaving the pedal depressed, shall I unscrew the reservoir cap and leave it resting on so no dirty gets in? Will I have too bleed the brakes after or will it be alright? Cheers

I'm going too try this method of leaving the pedal depressed, shall I unscrew the reservoir cap and leave it resting on so no dirty gets in? Will I have too bleed the brakes after or will it be alright? Cheers

Not sure what your idea is?, but not a good idea to hold the brakes on or leave the cap just sitting on reservoir?

I'm replying too what Chris had put about leaving the pedal depressed overnight. I have read loads of forums with people saying it has worked so it's worth a try

I'm replying too what Chris had put about leaving the pedal depressed overnight. I have read loads of forums with people saying it has worked so it's worth a try

I cant say I have ever had a problem with Fiesta brake bleeding, so would be surprised if any air is left in the system, no need to take cap off though

Just did it and left it for a few hours and the fluid level dropped slightly and the pedal feels better. Topped it back up and went for a quick drive and the brakes engage higher up the pedal. Will leave it overnight too see if it helps anymore but if it's stays as it is then I'm happy.

Just did it and left it for a few hours and the fluid level dropped slightly and the pedal feels better. Topped it back up and went for a quick drive and the brakes engage higher up the pedal. Will leave it overnight too see if it helps anymore

Sounds like the servo brought the pedal up not the fluid,

but if it's stays as it is then I'm happy.

That is doubtfull....

Why is it doubtful?

Why is it doubtful?

In certain cases it can be hard to expell all the air and sometimes a good idea to bleed the rears as well, assuming you havent already, but if you have, try doing all four wheels starting at the furthest away ie rear n/s then rear o/s then f/n/s then o/s/f last and see what that does that might clear it....

Ford Fiesta - Brake pedal feel changed - Big John

It sounds like trapped air. When you fit new pads you generally have to retract pistons, if any air is pushed back up the system it can be trapped in the abs unit. On many cars there is usually a way to fully purge the system - "ABS Service bleed"?

Probably not the case these days but I had loads of trouble bleeding brakes years ago on a 1990 Passat - this was pre abs and it was fitted with a rear axle valve. I eventually found you couldn't bleed with the car with the car on axle stands without disconnecting the spring that operated the valve. Clearly previous owners had struggled as the colour of the brake fluid that finally emerged at the rear was something else - milky dark brown!

It's just weird how when the new pads were put in, the pedal was solid and the bite was instant for about 3 or 4 days. Surely if there is air in the system then it wouldn't let the pedal bite at the top? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just asking?

It's just weird how when the new pads were put in, the pedal was solid and the bite was instant for about 3 or 4 days. Surely if there is air in the system then it wouldn't let the pedal bite at the top? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just asking?

Pads have to bed into the disc and often high performance pads bite quicker when installed than oem pads, until the pad surface is worn into disc when they settle down, as i said bleeding the brakes on fiesta is usually easy with no problems though do hear of odd one that doesn't bleed very easy but sounds like your brakes are fine now

Not so sure they are the best pads for yours but you will find them to be a bit harsh breaking sometimes, really depends how you get on with them as some don't like them after a few 1000 miles....

Yeah, at first they were pretty much instant but now they feel "softer" but they still stop the car really well. Just found it weird how it went from biting right at the top of the pedal too needing too press the pedal a bit further too get the same feeling but between those 2 scenarios I haven't opened the brake lines or anything. I find that they stop a lot better than my previous pads which were brembo ones from ECP. So you reckon it's just the way the pads are?

Thanks for the responses

Different makers use different makeups of pad material resin bonded together, so no 2 makes brake/wear the same, some better than others, but oem are designed for a particular car

Just went out too see how much travel there is before nay braking happens and when I slowly roll the car, if I press the brakes about 1 or 2cm down then that stops the car and holds it. There is resistance all the way down the pedal. So there is maybe a dead zone of around half an inch or so.

Just went out too see how much travel there is before nay braking happens and when I slowly roll the car, if I press the brakes about 1 or 2cm down then that stops the car and holds it. There is resistance all the way down the pedal. So there is maybe a dead zone of around half an inch or so.

The dead zone is brake pedal free play which is adjustable though not recommended as its usually set as the same height as clutch pedal or close to it.

Some people who ride the brake pedal take up free play and drag the brakes which causes severe pad wear as people dont realise by resting foot on the pedal they are using the brakes.

Yeah I understand that. If I had air in the system would this cause a lot of travel with no brakes at all during that travel or would they still work but the pedal would feel soft?

Not so sure they are the best pads for yours but you will find them to be a bit harsh breaking sometimes, really depends how you get on with them as some don't like them after a few 1000 miles....

Breaking is always harsh. Braking only sometimes.

Thanks for the correction, I didn`t notice at the time.

Bit of an update, last night I went for a drive and used the brakes hard and did a few emergency stops then let the brakes cool down overnight. This morning the pedal feels a lot better and not as soft. Maybe the pads needed a good bedding in or they were slightly glazed?

Apologies for the pickiness. I did time on a US automotive site where that was endemic.

Think it gave me an allergy

Apologies for the pickiness. I did time on a US automotive site where that was endemic.

Think it gave me an allergy

Never hurts to be corrected, if anyone will spell a word wrong its me, but very often notice others do it as well without thinking, and trying to type too quickly which after all these years of computer work I still cannot type very fast...

Still the OP I think is happy which is the main thing

Brakes feel a lot better now, pedal feels harder and they are biting really well. I will go and do the proper bedding in procedure again at some point when the roads are quiet but I'm happy it's all good now. Thank you for all of the help, really appreciate it

Edited by Fiesta1234 on 28/07/2021 at 14:04