Used diesels - SLO76
I’m often advising people to avoid diesels when they’re shopping for a used car on a tight budget and a work colleague has recently felt the pain after buying one. The car in question is a 2014 Dacia Duster 1.5 DCI and after a couple of months of ownership it has suffered catastrophic engine failure. The engineers report has cited misfuelling, which caused the fuel pump to disintegrate and metal to be ingested by the engine. Now despite this wee car having a full service record and being in good condition the current owner had no way to know that someone had dumped a load of unleaded into the tank at some point then ran it. He’s now left having to borrow money to repair or replace the engine on a car he owes money on. Had he stuck with a simple petrol version he would’ve spent a couple of hundred quid a year extra on fuel but saved a large four figure sum on repairs. Moral of the story, stick with petrol when buying a cheap used car.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/05/2021 at 13:29

Used diesels - badbusdriver

I'm surprised by this SLO, I had thought that 1.5 Renault lump to be pretty reliable. Is this something which negligence negligence contributed to re the fuel pump?, is it something which could have been foreseen but ignored?.

I ask for two reasons. The Nissan NV200 a contender if I need to replace my van again, which of course uses that same engine. Also, as my wife is now officially no longer driving, I will be giving serious thought to opting out of the Motability scheme once our 3 years with the Ignis is up (another 2 to go). If I do, one of my two options will be to buy a vehicle capable of being used for both work and social duties. Not a huge choice of 'smaller' double cab vans with a load bay big enough (i.e, those with a lwb option) and two of those, the Renault Kangoo and Mercedes Citan, also use that engine!.

I'd be happy enough with petrol as I don't do that many miles, but there are just so few out there to choose from.

Edited by badbusdriver on 30/05/2021 at 15:36

Used diesels - skidpan

I'm surprised by this SLO, I had thought that 1.5 Renault lump to be pretty reliable. Is this something which negligence negligence contributed to re the fuel pump?, is it something which could have been foreseen but ignored?.

Diesel fuel pumps rely on the diesel for lubrication. Fill them with petrol and terminal damage can be done to the pump in a few miles, metal on metal with no lubrication means ultimately no worky.

Buying used you never know what a previous herbert has done to the car, in this case its been missfueled and sold on pretty quick passing the grief to the new owner.

Used diesels - focussed

"which caused the fuel pump to disintegrate and metal to be ingested by the engine"

Excuse me mentioning it but how does "metal" get ingested by the engine from the disintegrating fuel pump/fuel system if misfuelled?

The "metal" has first to get past the injector nozzles which won't pass anything bigger than a gnat's knacker.

Sounds like a severe case of makey workey to me.

Buying used you never know what a previous herbert has done to the car, in this case its been missfueled and sold on pretty quick passing the grief to the new owner.

When you say missfuelled, do you mean petrol was put in by mistake?.

Used diesels - SLO76
“ When you say missfuelled, do you mean petrol was put in by mistake?.”

Yup.
Used diesels - brum

As focussed says the worst that would happen is that a new fuel pump, hp lines and injectors would be needed. Maybe not even that as the engine would stop as soon as the petrol reached the injectors.

Considering that many petrol engines are direct injection and use a very similar HP pump and injector setup, I think in many cases that little or no damage would be done.

However many garages and particularly dealers are quick to write a car off with a cock and bull story in order to sell a new replacement

I also thought that misfuelling protection fillers were fitted as standard in most new diesel cars nowadays, maybe not Dacia

Edited by brum on 30/05/2021 at 17:09

Used diesels - SLO76
Above my level I’m afraid and the owner isn’t mechanically minded at all. All I know is that this is what the engineers report said and the engine was removed and sent off to be rebuilt but I would like to get my hands on that report. A quick look online suggests all sorts of woe from putting petrol in a diesel motors tank so it looks more complex than you’d think.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/05/2021 at 18:19

Used diesels - Brit_in_Germany

lf the fuel pump is driven by the timing belt, a seizure of the pump could well lead to catastrophic engine damage.

Used diesels - SLO76
“ Diesel fuel pumps rely on the diesel for lubrication. Fill them with petrol and terminal damage can be done to the pump in a few miles, metal on metal with no lubrication means ultimately no worky.

Buying used you never know what a previous herbert has done to the car, in this case its been missfueled and sold on pretty quick passing the grief to the new owner.”

Nail on the head. This engine has a fairly good reputation but misfuelling is a common issue with diesels and it can cost you a fortune if the engine is run without diesel to lubricate the pump. Problem with a used diesel is that you don’t know if this has happened or not.
Used diesels - Engineer Andy

I thought that misfuelling a diesel (more than a tiny amount) rapidly leads to major issues, rather than 'building up' to an engine failure of the type you describe. Surely the test drive of the car would have picked up some worrying sings, unless the misfuelling was carried out by the seller in between that and handing it over?

It's unfortunate that there's no practical way that the new owener can prove anything - they certainly could've done it themselves and just pretended it was the previous owner/dealer to cover up their own mistake. It could've also been a dodgy batch from a filling station.

I do recall one of the TV motoring shows (Fifth Gear, perhaps) doing an item on misfuelling, and it appeared that some diesel-engined cars are more hardy and resistant to damage from misfuelling than others, perhaps the old 80s - early 2000s designed engines compared to the more modern 'common rail' ones onwards.

Used diesels - SLO76
“I thought that misfuelling a diesel (more than a tiny amount) rapidly leads to major issues, rather than 'building up' to an engine failure of the type you describe. Surely the test drive of the car would have picked up some worrying sings, unless the misfuelling was carried out by the seller in between that and handing it over?”

He’s had it for months but isn’t mechanically minded so I wonder if anything was noticeable such as a noisy fuel pump on test drive or perhaps either he or darling wife has made the mistake themselves.
Used diesels - Steveieb
Not quite in the same league as this but I recently posted a sad tale about an owner of. Q7 who filled the diesel tank with Adblue before filling up with diesel. The car has two filler pipes inches apart. £15,500 damage which the insurers refused to cover as accidental !
Used diesels - brum

Well I call BS on the garage involved. If the diesel pump disintegrated, then the the first thing would be low fuel pressure (which should be picked up by the fuel pressure sensor) and debris would contaminate the common rail and block ithe injectors. The car would not be able to run or start.

New fuel pump, common rail and pipes, new injectors, fuel filter, and it should be good to go.

As I said any modern DI petrol, e.g. TSI units have a high pressure fuel pump, they don't require any lubricant.

SLO cites that you don't know if a used car had been misfuelled, although the statement is true, its also true that any used car has potential unknown history of abuse, petrol or diesel.

Used diesels - FiestaOwner

Well I call BS on the garage involved....

SLO cites that you don't know if a used car had been misfuelled, although the statement is true, its also true that any used car has potential unknown history of abuse, petrol or diesel.

Can't help feeling that in this case and the one Steveieb mentioned, that the dealers have taken the opportunity to fleece the punter for as much as they possibly could. I'm assuming that in both these cases that it is main dealers who are diagnosing and not trusted indies.

If the tank has had petrol put in (by mistake) then several tanks of diesel, how could the "Engineer" possibly tell it had been miss-fuelled? Were the "Engineers" employed by either the dealer or manufacturer? In either case it's in their interest to blame the punter. There are limits to what a manufacturer will pay the dealer for a warranty repair, but there are no limits, as to how much, they can charge a punter.

I agree with focussed and brum. I don't see how the engine could have ingested anything.

Even a brand new car could have been miss-fuelled (at the dealer) before you take delivery!

Used diesels - barney100

If the car had been misfuelled then how long before damage is done? I did a misfuel but realised before I started the engine. The AA guy said he is called out many times for this issue, I have had several diesel cars second hand with no problem, indeed the V70 has just passed 150k and is a real workhorse. I have had two petrol engines fail so I tend to favour the diesel.

Used diesels - bazza

It's an interesting thread as like BBD, I am looking at van based cars for a particular reason of huge practically to transport bikes inside, camping gear and general outdoor junk. The problem is the usually recommended makers, Toyota, honda, Mazda don't do one and the ones that do eg VW caddy, ford connect, petrol ones are like gold. The PSA group sell their 1.2 puretech version which is apparently fast gaining a reputation for destroying itself after a couple of years! So one is left with a choice of 1 5 DCI, ( nv200), 1.6 or 1 5 PSA diesel, (same as Ford's), or the 1.6 vag unit. There are millions of all these on the road and I don't see hordes of them broken down, so are the problems just magnified enormously and in fact a reasonably new diesel with a good service history is a safe enough bet given the caveat of frequent oil changes and a good run once a week to exercise the dpf etc. ?

Used diesels - FiestaOwner

There are millions of all these on the road and I don't see hordes of them broken down, so are the problems just magnified enormously and in fact a reasonably new diesel with a good service history is a safe enough bet given the caveat of frequent oil changes and a good run once a week to exercise the dpf etc. ?

Most of my cars over the last 35 years have been pretty much trouble free. That list includes a 2004 Clio which I had for 8 years. Also includes 3 Fiesta's, a Micra and a couple of VAG vehicles.

The exception to this rule was the Yaris and i20 (both bought as pre-reg). These cars caused nothing but grief.

You can do all the homework you like, but sometimes it just comes down to luck if you get a good car/ van.

Used diesels - SLO76
Diesels have a far higher attrition rate than petrol equivalents as they age. Think about the older family and prestige cars you see on the road. The bulk of Mondeo, Vectra and BMW survivors into old age are petrol despite more diesels than petrol having been sold. In the sort of price range I typically was dealing at (sub £3k) they were a total liability and most legitimate traders avoided them like the plague. They more complex and thus there’s more to go wrong. The misfuelling issue is common and causes damage, often severe if it’s allowed to run without sufficient lubrication from diesel in the tank and when you buy one you’ve no idea if it’s happened.

I like the torquey nature of a Diesel engine, they’re relaxing to drive and there’s usually an economy saving as a sweetener but the costs can rapidly mount up as they age and they rarely make financial sense on a tight budget. In fact I typically won’t recommend one below £8,000. Ive witnessed many a motoring disaster relating to cheap diesels over the years and for every pain free story there’s two that end in financial woe.
Used diesels - concrete

Misfueled myself once. Put in about 4 litres of petrol before realising. The fuel gauge light had been on so there was little fuel in the tank. I just put 65 plus litres of diesel on top of it. The car, a Pug 406 never missed a beat and went on to do sterling work for 115K miles before going back to lease company. Maybe I was lucky or maybe back in 1999 diesel were not as sophisticated and therefore less prone to my stupidity. Don't recommend it though.

Cheers Concrete

Used diesels - Steveieb
My friend Terry filled his Nissan Micra MK 1 with diesel by mistake
He only paid £100 for the car so a tank full of fuel was a significant investment.
So he carried on driving it followed by clouds of black smoke until the tank was half full.
He then topped it up with petrol and continued to run the car until the MOT.

My son has a garden machinery business and has machines bought to him that won't start. First thing he smells the fuel , if it's diesel he drains the tank and carb and a squirt of starter spray and it's off. Owners storing two kinds of fuel in the garage is the usual problem.
Used diesels - Steveieb
When I wa working at the M1 garage I managed to fill a Lorry with 20 gallons of petrol before realising. The driver understandingly was fuming. Luckily we had our own workshops wher the fuel was drained out and I didn't dare ask what happened to the drained fuel !
Used diesels - barney100

Diesel engines are normally bigger than the equivalent petrol so therefore do last longer according to most sites I've found. Current diesel 2.4 on 151k which is better than any petrol I've had in 50 tears. Never blown a diesel but have had two petrol go. Many many taxis which do huge miles are diesel too.

Used diesels - Engineer Andy
Not quite in the same league as this but I recently posted a sad tale about an owner of. Q7 who filled the diesel tank with Adblue before filling up with diesel. The car has two filler pipes inches apart. £15,500 damage which the insurers refused to cover as accidental !

But I bet that the DPF was never cleaner! :-)

Used diesels - Steveieb
Ok SLO , two Diesel engines that don't seem to have a high attrician rate are the XUD and VW PD which was fitted to various VAG cars.
Some of these reached monumental mileages and lots were taxis so didn't get the best of treatment.
So maybe it was the introduction of the common rail diesel that was its downfall ?

So maybe it was the introduction of the common rail diesel that was its downfall ?

The increasing sophistication probably plays a part, but I'd think most of the blame can be laid at the door of two factors. The combination of emissions related stuff like DPF's along with most diesels being run in conditions likely to cause problems, i.e, short, stop-start journeys.

Also, while the VAG PD TDI was undoubtably very reliable, it did go through the oil!. I worked at a VW dealer when the PD first appeared and when picking up their new car, customers were told to check the oil level regularly and given a container of oil away with them to top it up between services. Needless to say, not adhering to this, could easily cause an engine failure.

Used diesels - SLO76
Ok SLO , two Diesel engines that don't seem to have a high attrician rate are the XUD and VW PD which was fitted to various VAG cars. Some of these reached monumental mileages and lots were taxis so didn't get the best of treatment. So maybe it was the introduction of the common rail diesel that was its downfall ?

It’s not the Diesel engine itself, it’s all the emissions control equipment which cause the trouble. From EGR valve to complex injection system to particulate filter, it gums and soots up and costs a fortune in repairs as they get into old age. The old gen diesels are very different beasts. The XUD and PD motors were brilliant things.
Used diesels - Marlin1

In 2017 after a week of very hard traveling for work, including driving about 1,500 miles on top of the days work and numerous traffic jams, I mis-fuelled my little Vauxhall Mokka diesel at a motorway services - I maintain that the pump handles were in the wrong positions at the pump.

The saving grace was that because the fuel was so expensive, I only put enough in to get me the last 40 miles home, plus a bit spare.

Next morning the Mokka just wouldn't start. The smell of petrol in the tank gave it away so the AA pumped it out and it went on for another 60,000 miles over 3 more years before the lease ended. All they did was pump the tank out and turn the engine until it started.

Work's fleet dept. wanted to charge me the £300 AA cost but backed down when it was explained that it happened after a hellish week.

Edited by Marlin1 on 01/06/2021 at 18:06

Used diesels - Bromptonaut
I’m often advising people to avoid diesels when they’re shopping for a used car on a tight budget and a work colleague has recently felt the pain after buying one. The car in question is a 2014 Dacia Duster 1.5 DCI and after a couple of months of ownership it has suffered catastrophic engine failure.

Was there no warranty?

If the fault occurred after a couple of months would there not be a presumption of a pre-existing fault with comeback against the supplying dealer (or is that not the law in Scotland)?

Used diesels - brum

I think SLO's thinking is influenced by his preferences for older japanese cars.

Diesels were early adopters of turbos , egr, dmfs and the dreaded dpf. The euro 5 standards forced manufacturers to add untested tech in a hurry to meet the regs. Diesels struggled to meet this standard, hence dieselgate, and early unreliable dpfs, dmfs etc

Latest petrols now have been forced down a similar route with GPFs, egr, dmfs and turbos more or less standard. Time will tell how reliable these newer petrols are. We hear all the time about the diesel of doom, but also ECOboost, Puretech and other petrol engines that we should avoid at all cost.

Also, modern auto gearboxes are called into question.

I know Toyotas and Hondas are SLO favourites, but are older and not so old ones such a wise buy when their CATs are so poorly placed and prone to theft, particularly in London. I believe some insurers now refuse to insure them if you live in certain postcodes

Was there no warranty?

If the fault occurred after a couple of months would there not be a presumption of a pre-existing fault with comeback against the supplying dealer (or is that not the law in Scotland)?

It would seem the engine failure was caused by petrol having been put in rather than diesel, and the subsequent, necessary work to drain everything, wasn't carried out, or at least not properly.

Going by some of the posts on the thread saying that a failure like this through miss-fuelling would not have a delay before 'happening', it seems likely that it (the mis-fuelling, then not dealing with it) was done by the person SLO refers to as having bought the car.

Used diesels - SLO76
“ Was there no warranty?

If the fault occurred after a couple of months would there not be a presumption of a pre-existing fault with comeback against the supplying dealer (or is that not the law in Scotland)?”

The accusation is that he or his wife did it. To be honest I personally believe that’s the case and this hasn’t been months in the making. The warranty company s fighting the claim and the claims limit won’t even look at it.