Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - Kam442

I am considering buying a Mazda 3, 1.5 petrol SE on a 2016 plate. My concern is the mileage. It has 82k on the clock. However, it has had one owner from new with a full service history, the first 3 years with Mazda.

Are there any potential problems or things I need to look out for for this at this age (5 years) and mileage.

I am aware of DPF problems on the diesel versions of these cars but wondered if there are any known issues with the petrol engines.

The car is only likely to do around 5k a year and so I am happy to get a higher mileage car provided its mechanically sound and reliable.

any advice appreciated

thanks

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - chris87
No, they’re bullet proof engines, no known problems whatsoever. If the car is looked after and maintained properly, go for it. They can go hundreds of thousands of miles with just regular maintenance.
No, they’re bullet proof engines, no known problems whatsoever. If the car is looked after and maintained properly, go for it. They can go hundreds of thousands of miles with just regular maintenance.

Thanks. Very helpful advice.

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - badbusdriver

Because it is a petrol Mazda with 1 owner and full history, I wouldn't have any problems with the mileage. Though if you could provide a link with the ad, we could have a better look (assuming decent pics).

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - skidpan

Before you buy try a Seat Leon TSi 1.4 (125 PS or preferably 150 PS) and be amazed. We had a 2013 140 PS example but in 2015 when the Mrs was having a new car we tried the 3 2 litre 120 PS to see what it was like,

Dreadful was the word. First thing was no rear vision followed by no performance. Decent enough interior but smallish boot and poor rear space.

You can do better.

Before you buy try a Seat Leon TSi 1.4 (125 PS or preferably 150 PS) and be amazed. We had a 2013 140 PS example but in 2015 when the Mrs was having a new car we tried the 3 2 litre 120 PS to see what it was like,

Dreadful was the word. First thing was no rear vision followed by no performance. Decent enough interior but smallish boot and poor rear space.

You can do better.

Thanks. Will have a drive before we decide

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - Engineer Andy

You can do better.

To be fair Skidpan, I remember you saying both at the time and more recently that the performance was more 'average' (nothing special), but that the drive itself - handling, comfort, drive feel, etc was very good, noting also that your car was 20PS more than the Mazda's (which doesn't have a turbo), so a better comparison is the 122/125PS 1.4TSi.

In addition, the rear space is not much different to the Leon, and the hatch version's boot space is only 20L less, whereas the saloon/fastback is about 40L more. Having sat in a Leon and ets driven a (similarish) VW Scirocco, the performance was better, but I felt that the comfort and ergonomics of the Mazda3 were better (as long as you chose the 16in wheels) - the seating position especially.

I grant you that the engine performance was better with the 1.4TSi, especially at mid revs, and the gen-3 Mazda3 hatch does indeed have a small rear window. Whether either makes the difference for the OP is down to them, hence why getting a proper test drive is definitely worth it. They might find it more than enough.

I should note (especially as OP won't already know this) that I tested a 2017 Mazda3 2.0 petrol as well as the 1.4TSi Scirocco as possible replacements for my 2006 Mazda3 1.6 petrol (105PS) saloon, and I was also underwhelmed (just not as much) by its performance in comparison to my own car.

I was looking to (again) buy new, and so I declined because both were (even with deals/low mielage nearly new/ex-demos etc) still too expensive for my tastes, as well as not being as I wanted otherwise - I wasn't prepared to shell out a LOT of money for a Mazda that wan't that much better than what I already had (it was still driving well.

I wanted something rather more swift), but still needed decent ride comfort, which the Scirocco or equivalent 1.4TSi 150PS Golf GT/Seat Leon FR did not provide, as they (by then) only shod on 18in rims/low profile tyres, whereas the 1.4TSI 122/125PS SE models did not have climate control (which my Mazda3 already had, and the mid-spec new SE-L did), just manual A/C.

Because it is a petrol Mazda with 1 owner and full history, I wouldn't have any problems with the mileage. Though if you could provide a link with the ad, we could have a better look (assuming decent pics).

Thanks

Thanks

To add to other backroomer comments, best to check out a good range of cars and test drive all on your shortlist. I own a Mazda3, although it's a 1.6 petrol from 2006, it'll be around the same in terms of performance (fine, but not quick) as the gen-3 1.5 petrol.

The latter has the same engine as in the latest two versions of the Mazda2, but with around the same output as the Sport version of the 2. Few 1.5 petrol Mazda3s sold as they are normally of the lowest SE spec and not much cheaper than the 2.0 petrol.

Check to see if the car in question IS the petrol and not the diesel equivalent (same engine size on lower spec models until it was discontined), which I would avoid (as with the 2.2TD) because of the risk of reliability issues. The petrol engined versions are reliable.

What I would do is also look at whatever dealers (for all the cars you're looking at) are in your area before deciding - it depends upon whether you want to have your chosen car service at an indie dealer or manufacturer main dealer - of those suggested, both Mazda and Seat are quite variable in terms of the post-sales experience, some good, some not.

You're more likely to get a decent main dealer experience using a Toyota or Honda, but their driving experience won't be as good.

Best of luck.

To be fair Skidpan, I remember you saying both at the time and more recently that the performance was more 'average' (nothing special), but that the drive itself - handling, comfort, drive feel, etc was very good, noting also that your car was 20PS more than the Mazda's (which doesn't have a turbo), so a better comparison is the 122/125PS 1.4TSi.

Indeed, the comfort, handling were as good as the Leon but the package overall was not as good, too many negatives.

I do have a WhatCar test comparison of the 1.2 TSi vs 120ps Mazda 3 somewhere. From memory the Mazda was faster 0-60, they had equal 30 to 70 times but the Leon was quicker in every 20mph increment in every gear and that's how most of us drive.

The Leon was also better on fuel but not by much.

The Leon was a clear winner of the test and if a 1.2 Leon can beat the Mazda 3 surely a 1.4 125 PS TSi would monster it.

Edited by skidpan on 02/04/2021 at 18:18

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - Oli rag
I do agree that the 1.4 tsi engine is a cracker, however I’m not very impressed by the seat Leon my son has owned for the past 5 years. I find the seats too hard and the ride is too firm for my liking ( his is se spec), also it has been plagued with interior rattles which started when he first bought it at around 18 months old.

His car has been reliable and is economical, but it’s not well built, with a very bland cabin. It would be the Mazda for me every time, especially if it’s a 2017 model with the better sound proofing, even though it gained an electric parking brake then.

Edited by Oli rag on 03/04/2021 at 08:11

The handling of the mazda was as good as the leon? Hahahaha...

You’re comparing the wrong way, I’m afraid.
The handling of the mazda was as good as the leon? Hahahaha... You’re comparing the wrong way, I’m afraid.

Don't think I will bother replying to another of your idiotic posts.

Whoops, just replied

however I’m not very impressed by the seat Leon my son has owned for the past 5 years. I find the seats too hard and the ride is too firm for my liking ( his is se spec),

We found the seats in our SE fine even over a 430 mile drive to Scotland.

Just because its an SE does not mean it will have a cosseting ride if its fitted with the factory option 17" or 18" wheels. Our SE was on factory fit 16" wheels with 55 profile tyres and the ride was excellent as was the handling, not sloppy at all. But fit the 17's with 45 profile tyres or even worse the 18's with 35 profile (I think) tyres and you will destroy a perfectly good car.

When we swapped the Leon we needed a bigger car and having been very happy with the Leon for almost 4 years the Leon estate was the obvious car to look at first. Problem was the 150 PS engine was only available with FR and higher trims and these came with 17" wheels and 45 profile tyres. The FR came with sports seats which would have been very difficult for the MIL to use and seemed no more comfortable, just higher bolsters. End of buying a Leon estate, we did not even drive it.

Then don’t, it’s not like you have anything to say. You gave yourself away many times, for example when claiming that somehow VAG must be better than Mazda because they sell more cars. Using the same logic, I don’t understand why some idiots buy McLaren, when they can have a 1.4 TSI Seat Leon :-D.

Every review mentions how Mazdas are amongst the best handling cars out there, including those sponsored by the German auto industry, but you think they might be almost as good as a Seat, a budget brand that’s not known for much, really. Of all the cars, you chose the the maker of the MX-5...

But I won’t call you an idiot, I’ll let your posts do the hard work.

Just looked in WhatCar. Mazda's don't feature in the Executive car category but the Superb 1.5 TSi does and it won Best Buy in its price division with 5 blobs.

In the estate category the 2 litre diesel Superb and Mazda 6 are both in the same price division, the Superb gets a Best Buy with 5 blobs, the Mazda got 3 blobs. The Mazda gets marked down because of its Choppy ride, uninspiring handling and space while the Superb does well for price, space and equipment but it gets down marked because some rivals are more fun to drive.

Move to the Family car category and both the Mazda 3 and Seat Leon feature. The Mazda 2.0 Skyactive 122 PS gets 4 blobs this time but the handling is criticised again. It also marks it down for the rear seat space and boot space, seems little has changed since the one we looked at in 2015. On the other had the Leon 1.5 TSi 150 PS wins with a Best Buy rating of 5 blobs and gets top marks for handling, performance, kit and space. Seems strange but it gets down marked for price when its only £83 more than the Mazda.

Then I looked in the Reliability Guide. In the Executive class the Mazda 6 finished 2nd with 98% but the Superb won with 98.3%.

In the Family car class the Leon petrol was not featured and the Mazda 3 was not mentioned at all. The Leon diesel did pretty badly (82.7%) but in the small print it said the diesel had 4 times as many faults as the petrol so it would be interesting to see what the figures were for that and the Mazda 3.

And to suggest the buyer of a McLaren would also consider a 1.4 TSi Leon is just plain daft. But then again, if the chap did buy one as a runabout to keep the McLaren safe I am sure he would be delighted with it.

You try really hard, but it doesn’t matter...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/112991/car-review-...s-

As I said, Mazda’s petrol engine is probably the most reliable engine in the world right now and when it comes to driving dynamics, few German cars beat it. Seat or Skoda are not one of them.

As long as you’re happy with your car and you can defend your choice by selecting just those arguments that fit your narrative, it’s all good. We’re two strangers on a car forum, at the end of the day.

Edited by chris87 on 03/04/2021 at 20:55

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - Grenache

Check out the build quality, look at the underside of the car.
I have a Mazda 6 and it had rust spots on the chassis sub-frame members even when brand new - and Mazda refused to sort it under warranty, it was only when I threatened the dealer with returning the car they re-sealed it, but even now the car looks older than its years underneath.

The rest of it is great, though, 157000 miles and still runs like a dream, never let me down.

Edited by Grenache on 05/04/2021 at 22:03

Yes, you have an old model, pre 2008, many japanese cars (and motorcycles) suffered from that problem. They used cheap steel for several components, including subframe and exhaust. Not an issue anymore on any brand.

Check out the build quality, look at the underside of the car.
I have a Mazda 6 and it had rust spots on the chassis sub-frame members even when brand new - and Mazda refused to sort it under warranty, it was only when I threatened the dealer with returning the car they re-sealed it, but even now the car looks older than its years underneath.

The rest of it is great, though, 157000 miles and still runs like a dream, never let me down.

Mazda have significantly improved their cars on rust proofing. Besides, surface rust on underbody items is not really much of a problem long term - my 15yo Mazda3 has that it it gets a clean bill of health every year at service/MOT. Old fashioned rot from water/ari ingress from the inside would be, and used to be on Mazdas (as it was on many cars).

If your car has made it to 157k, runs very well and not fallen to bits, then it can't be that bad. What I would agree with is the often poor attitude (even today) from some Mazda dealers and Mazda UK regarding fixing problems (which happen across all makes) and warranty claims.

As I said before, it's one of the reasons why I suspect Mazda sales have never recovered from their mid 2000s highs. Buy a petrol-engined car and find a decent dealer, then you should be fine; buy a diesel (especially second hand or using it for mainly short trips) or use a poor quality (local) dealer, then you won't be fine.

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - alan1302

As I said before, it's one of the reasons why I suspect Mazda sales have never recovered from their mid 2000s highs.

As I have mentioned to you before - but you like to ignore - Mazda's sales in 2019 were 249,000 - not far off their best year 2004 of 262,000 car sales - all Europe wide. So not sure why you don't think they are selling their cars in decent numbers?

carsalesbase.com/europe-mazda/

As I said before, it's one of the reasons why I suspect Mazda sales have never recovered from their mid 2000s highs.

As I have mentioned to you before - but you like to ignore - Mazda's sales in 2019 were 249,000 - not far off their best year 2004 of 262,000 car sales - all Europe wide. So not sure why you don't think they are selling their cars in decent numbers?

carsalesbase.com/europe-mazda/

The main comment was about UK sales, where they are still significantly lower than in Europe overall. As someone who bought a Mazda when their sales were around their height (in the UK) 15 years ago, I noticed that the big increase had been made up of diesels.

As such, the combination of diesel-related problems (especially as they were even more susceptible to low mileage urban driving than others) and the patchy post-sales dealership experience, I suspect many people in the UK were put off from either staying with them or moving from another make, even if they were buying a petrol-engined car and their local dealer was decent.

It may well be that sales in the EU are either far more petrol-based or that car owners were already more discerning as regards why and why not to buy a diesel-engined car, and thus the reliability issues are lessened because they are used as intended, negating the vast majority of problems.

It may also be that dealerships are much better in terms of the post-sales experience - they apparently are in North America. It's also no coincidence that sales in North America and Down Under are better as well, even if the BT-50 is taken out of the equation, because they allow more their powerful engined cars to be sold because they don't have the EU's corporate CO2 laws.

Hopefully Mazda's move to more hybrids/EVs in concert with the SA-X engine being about 20% better on CO2 than the SA-G will mean that the other issue affecting UK sales - a lack of peppy engines in each range, will also be resolved.

Sales in the UK have been recovering over the last few years as Mazda has begun to transition from diesel engines to hybrids and EVs, but they are still a significant way behind the levels of 15 years ago. I hope they do improve, because their current lineup is improved, and are still both great handling and looking cars.

Nearly as good as a skoda... one day, one day o.0

Edited by chris87 on 07/04/2021 at 12:15

Nearly as good as a skoda... one day, one day o.0

Yes they are and no doubt one day you will buy one.

I already have one. Also waiting for the new gen Mazda to come out in 2 years. Or did you mean Skoda? If yes, I might consider it when I reach your age. Got at least 35 years to go...
I already have one. Also waiting for the new gen Mazda to come out in 2 years. Or did you mean Skoda? If yes, I might consider it when I reach your age. Got at least 35 years to go...

What 'new gen' Mazda? They already have the Skyactiv-X with mild hybrid,and the MX-30 EV (admitedly no EV Mazda3 yet). The latest Mazda3 only appeared about 18 months ago. The 6 is due for a change, though it seemed to easily take the new styling cues quite nicely, already being the best looking car in the lineup.

I doubt if we'll get the Mazda3 2.5T (sort-of MPS replacement available in North America and may come to Down Under), which is a shame. Still waiting for the RX-8 replacement (great looking, engine not so good) though...

6 cyclinder skyactiv-x + battery + rear wheel drive. Agree that the Mazda 6 is the best looking car, not in Mazda’s line-up, but in its class!

www.caranddriver.com/news/amp32109038/mazda-6-rwd-.../

Edited by chris87 on 07/04/2021 at 20:45

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - alan1302

You seem a bit obsessed with Skidpan - you don't need to reply to all his posts!

Not really, not at all. I just hope that one day the message will get across to him, deleted.. the man honestly believes the Skoda is the best car ever and I’m hoping to be the voice of reason in his posts. After all, something must be wrong to honestly believe the cheap, plastic Skoda interior beats that of an E class or that VAG’s troublesome past with petrol engines can come even close to the only brand that beat Toyota/Lexus in terms of reliability.

Edited by Xileno on 08/04/2021 at 06:38

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - 72 dudes

Okay this is getting tiresome now.

Skidpan has always extolled the virtues of every car he's owned and I've been on this forum for 15 years.

He's right about the Superb though, they are nicely built and have classy interiors made of good quality materials. There's nothing cheap or plasticy about them these days.

They are not up to Audi standards though.

Now Mazdas: Great designed cars often with nice handling, but only recently have they discovered how to do interiors properly.

I have experience of 3 very different Mazda models

I had an MX5 MK3 for 3 years, I loved it, but the interior was cheap and plasticy even though it was well screwed together. The 1.8 engine was fun if you worked it hard, which was part of the fun. Not much low end pull but got 38 MPG however I treated it.

Next I had a Mazda 6 2.0 petrol loan car for 3 weeks while I was waiting for my actual company car to be ready. Disliked it. Choppy ride, absolutely no pull unless you revved the bejesus out of it. Not much fun. Interior was okay. struggled to get 32 mpg even on a 65 mile commute on the A14/A11. Much preferred the Volvo V50 and Peugeot 407 HDi SW which came immediately before it, not to mention the Rover 75 which came after it

Next, test drove a CX5 2.0 petrol auto last year. Horrible. Seats were flat and had no side support. Engine was a joke, nothing happened until you made it kick down then the drone from the engine was very unrefined. Interior was lovely however, almost up to Audi standards. But neither me nor my wife would have been able to live with the gutless engine. Supposed to be 165 BHP, but I think they were Shetland Ponies. Bought a Volvo XC40, love it

Of the 5 cars we had extended test drives in pre Covid, the CX5 was the most disappointing and this included the DS7, X1, and Peugeot 3008.

Finally, the Mazda 6 from 2008 to 2014 is one of the most unreliable cars in its sector (What Car Feb 2021), whereas the current model is one of the best. And it was nothing to do with the diesel problems either.

I write this as a neutral observer with no affiliation to either brand, an Advanced Driver of 36 years and a complete car nut. I do however have a penchant for Mercedes, I have two older ones as well as the XC40.

Another thing I've noticed is that Skidpan is getting very good at moderating his replies, well done sir, whereas chris87 occasionally sounds like a temperamental teenager. Try not to be ageist .

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - Oli rag
Another thing I’ve noticed is that Skidpan is getting very good at moderating his replies, well done sir, whereas chris87 occasionally sounds like a temperamental teenager. Try not to be ageist.

I couldn’t agree more, well said sir.
Another thing I've noticed is that Skidpan is getting very good at moderating his replies, well done sir, whereas chris87 occasionally sounds like a temperamental teenager. Try not to be ageist .

In my view, it depends upon your point of view and what thread you're reading. I would say Chris is perhaps overly enthusiastic about Mazdas (which is something coming from me, who's owned one [and been very pleased with the ownership experience] since new for 15 years), as Skidpan is about whatever make of car he happens to be owning at the time.

No problem with either, just that car ownership is a very subjective experience, given how many other cars there are.

BTW - I wouldn't take 'reliability surveys' from the media as that accurate, given they have a history of bias. Even the 'Reliability Index' from that Warranty firm was, in my view, deeply flawed, as its survey was dependent upon those taking out their warranties, and never gave other methodology. They are also snapshots of one year only.

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - Xileno

"Okay this is getting tiresome now"

I couldn't agree more. I can assure you that this has not gone unnoticed by ORB and myself, infact we were only discussing it yesterday. Unfortunately we have not been given access to all the moderator's tools we need yet to do our job in the manner we wish, something I chased up again only last evening.

I mentioned in a post to chris87 on Monday that I was finding some of his responses to skidpan now a bit tedious, which was a polite and soft-touch way of a moderator to say enough is enough. Neither ORB or myself want to be heavy-handed but we will if pushed far enough.

Chris87: skidpan is clearly a Skoda fan which is fine, you and others may take a less shiny view which is also fine. Disagreement is natural part of discussion but it needs to stay civilised and not personal. So please take note of this otherwise the delete button will be getting exercised from now on.

Xileno, moderator

Don’t worry, I’ll delete my account anyway. This forum is not what I expected it to be. When claims that there are no differences between a Skoda and Audi or Mercedes interior go unchallenged or people talk about “best” cars after asking us to ignore at least 5 problem engines (in quick succession) and not having experience outside the warranty period, you start to wonder if this is a car forum or a chess club...

I’ll leave you to encourage each other that the 1.5 TSI Superb is the best car in the world, if that’s the way things work around here. No one has any problems with other members recommending other cars, as it’s obvious from the discussions here, it’s just when the Skoda becomes the answer to every question asked and ridiculous statements about it’s average reliability and cheap interiors are being made. I’d rather stick to facts than play silly games.

skidpan is clearly a Skoda fan which is fine, you and others may take a less shiny view which is also fine. Disagreement is natural part of discussion but it needs to stay civilised and not personal. So please take note of this otherwise the delete button will be getting exercised from now on.

Over the years there have been many contributors on here who have been 100% Toyota or Honda since the dawn of time and would buy nothing else and when a question has been asked about a Golf or a Focus those posters have been told to buy a Toyota or Honda instead. I have never had an issue with that but I would always post about my good experiences with VW and Ford (and others) suggesting that the OP look at all the options, have some good test drives and make their own mind up, they have got to live with the decision for a long time. Its what we all had to do before the internet. We even had one slightly deranged poster who claimed that Toyota had a scheme that would repair cars up to 15 years old FOC regardless of their service history, if that were true we would all be driving Toyotas.

We have also tried to like Mazda's and very nearly bought an MX5. We drove a 6 petrol estate and found the performance very weak unless thrashed and was surprised to find that the smaller 3 with the same engine in a lower state of tune (but with the same torques just as poor). the final mail for Mazda came in 2017 when we decided to give them one last shot and decided to try the CX5. Carfile had some terrific deals on them and Mazda was offering 0% and PCP contributions. The salesman who met us was pretty blunt and said they did not sell petrols. He could order us one but we would have to drive the diesel which was exactly the same engine and drove exactly the same. I pointed out the small deficit of about 130 torques but he said it made no difference. And whilst the boot looked decent to fit a spare resulted in a loss of almost 100 litres of space and over £400 form your wallet. The salesman's parting shot was to go go home, look on Autotrader and find a petrol to drive then return and order one. We had already decided that the boot was too small once a spare had been bought but we looked on Autotrader and found the perfect car to drive, it was at the dealers we had just left. I rang to check it existed, it did and asked for a salesman to contact us (just to waste his time), over 4 years alter still waiting for the call.

As for Skoda I bought my first in 2017 but had looked at them wanting to like them since 2002 because of the kit, space and value they seemed to offer. Those features were of no use when the cars were actually very poor for refinement, I want to be in a nice quiet place on a 430 mile drive. having owned it for 3 1/2 years it was only late last year when we were looking to replace it that we realised how good the Superb was in quality terms. We knew it was better than the Leon, Ceed, Focus etc (that was why we bought it) but its only when you visit Audi, BMW and Volvo emporiums that you realise that it is up there with them at considerably less cash. The fact that we got the pre-reg iV at a considerable saving made the latest purchase simple after looking at alternatives for 9 months, only the V60 really appealed out of the others we had viewed and driven.

So until it has been decided that members are not allowed to use the Skoda word (perhaps it will become S**** eventually) I will recommend the Fabia and Superb if they appear to match the buyers budget/requirements etc. I will also tell prospective Octavia buyers to take a good long test drive since we found the booming in 4 examples unbearable.

As for other brands having had trouble free Fords, Nissans, BMW, Seat, VW's I would recommend them unless I felt that there is a better car to be had.

Note that in a recent thread, possibly this one I suggested that instead of the Mazda 3 the OP takes a look at the Seat Leon. I did not say Skoda anything.

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - groaver

I've been reading this thread with interest.

Having owned both. 2014 Mazda 6 and a Skoda Superb, I feel I can add to the viewpoints.

Yes the 2.0 Mazda petrol engine does not feel like a "ball of fire".

We had the 143 bhp version. The strange thing is that when you looked at the Speedo you realised it was getting up to speed pretty quickly. What there wasn't was the "wall of torque" pull that you get with a turbocharged engine.

The fit and finish was to a good standard. The ride was a little brittle ( on 17" tyres).

It averaged around 40mpg being used in the main for a daily motorway journey.

The Skoda Superb was the 2.0 L&K four wheel drive version.

Now, with 276 bhp it was always going to feel quicker - indecently so if you wished.

The ride was smooth with adjustable dampers though 19" wheels did the ability to absorb potholes no good.

The interior fit and finish was much better than the Mazda's. Everything was very well damped and two friends with Audis commented on how good it was in comparison to their cars.

Reliability? The Mazda needed servicing. The Skoda had a snapped coil spring replaced under warranty as well as a new turbo due to a failed actuator. Skoda were really good in dealing with these matters.

We got rid of the Mazda because we found rust coming through at the welds in the boot...

I sold the Skoda last month because knowing we wouldn't travel abroad this year we would like to have some domestic pleasure.

We bought a MX-5 with 2.0 litre engine.

In the light Mazda, it feels torquey (change up to 5th at 30 mph) and is quick.

Both brands are good in their own ways and I would say to the original poster; if you like the 3 after a drive, go for it. Cars are subjective and no matter what others tell you it's how you feel about the car that counts - you'll be living with it!

I bet that the coil spring failure was likely caused (or much sooner) because it was shod on 19in rims and low profile tyres.

I certainly noticed a big difference between the Mazda 3 and CX-3 I test drove back in 2017 shod on 16in and 18in rims, on both normal roads and those with potholes, over speed humps, etc.

Given how well Mazdas handle (my 15yo Mazda3 still handles/grips very well on 195/65 R15s), why are non-performance models shod on 18in rims/low profile tyres, I don't know. It also saves on suspension repairs, which helps their 'reliability' and with owners, given how expensive repairs of that nature (and tyres/wheels) can be.

I bet that the coil spring failure was likely caused (or much sooner) because it was shod on 19in rims and low profile tyres.

Had coil springs fail on 2 cars.

One was on 60 profile tyres and the other on 50 profile tyres, hardly extreme.

The sidewall height on the car with 50's was 102.5mm, the one with 60 profile had a sidewall height of 105mm, insignificant difference.

Cars were different brands.

Both cars were about 5 1/2 years old and both had covered about 50,000 miles.

I put it down to the fact we had used the cars and some things eventually break.

Had coil springs fail on 2 cars.

One was on 60 profile tyres and the other on 50 profile tyres, hardly extreme.

The sidewall height on the car with 50's was 102.5mm, the one with 60 profile had a sidewall height of 105mm, insignificant difference.

Cars were different brands.

Both cars were about 5 1/2 years old and both had covered about 50,000 miles.

I put it down to the fact we had used the cars and some things eventually break.

Sometimes it can also be what roads/how often they are driven (as well as who by) - using routes that include the 'pimple' speed humps are, as HJ used to always say, very bad for a car's suspension, not just potholes.

My dad's 08 plate Fiesta (very low mileage) is run on 195/50 R15 tyres and he regularly has had suspension parts changed out, more than my car, but then his area has more speed humps (mostly the standard ramp type).

The difference in the sidewalls is much more significant - 97.5mmH vs 112.75 (my old tyres on 16in rims) vs 126.75 (my latest 15in rims and 195/65 R15 tyres). Another difference probably is the wheelbase, as I suspect that longer wheelbase cars put less stress on the suspension (less 'bouncing' effect).

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - groaver

I bet that the coil spring failure was likely caused (or much sooner) because it was shod on 19in rims and low profile tyres..

I can tell you that it was in for a routine oil service when I was called by the service manager to say it was noted by the technician working on it and Skoda UK granted the warranty repair straight away as it was reported as a manufacturing defect. I believe others have had a similar issue.

The wheels and tyres undoubtedly wouldn't have helped protect it though.

18" are standard but it was a Skoda UK car at first registration.

Your point about non performance cars with big wheels is valid in general but be under no illusion that the Superb 280 isn't a performance model. A slightly detuned Golf R/ Audi S3 engine in a set of plain clothes is a real "sleeper".

Edited by groaver on 09/04/2021 at 17:12

Mazda 3 1.5 petrol - Mazda 3 to buy or not to buy - sammy1

I had a 2004 Mazda 3 sport with the VVT and was pleased with it. After a few years it blew the head gasket and my local garage did the new one. I had the car back and the performance was as flat as a pancake. Back to the garage who could not understand why. It turned out that the garage had the wrong head gasket, the one for the NON VVT engine, The VVT is activated by oil pressure and the wrong gasket did not have the hole to enable the oil to get through. I did not make the garage take the full financial hit as I had used him before and an easy mistake. Kept and enjoyed the car for a few years after. I did not have any other problem.

As regards modern Mazdas I like the CX3 looks and that's about it.

I wasn't aware that the Mazda3 ever had a non-VVT petrol engine. My bog standard 1.6 spec is VVT (and have 'tested' it to confirm :-) - perhaps it was the base 1.4L, or the gasket for the run-out 323, the engine of which I'm not familiar with.

Quite a rare problem in a Mazda petrol engine - I'd never come across one in my time on the Mazda3 owners forum. I'm glad it is too, given how old my car is.