Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Chrishunt

Being a former Honda owner I used to frequent the Civinfo website. Quite a few Civic owners tend to get upset at a perceived bias toward VAG and the Golf in particular. Given this is a more eclectic forum, what are the views here?

I must admit to a suspicion of bias but no more than that; mainly down to reviewers seeming to ignore the less positive elements of certain cars, where they would highlight essentially the same weakness in other models.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - RT

Some manufacturers are better at PR than others - this means some brands influence the media more than others - Ford have long been masters at PR and it shows in car reviews.

I'd never simply use one source, read them all and get a consensus.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - RobJP

Review bias certainly exists. Witness the sycophantic way that journalists drool over anything made by JLR, even when it's shortcomings are dreadfully shown up in 'proper' test drives.

On the other hand, some of the reviews can be very useful. But most reviews are of new cars, for an hour or two (normally), a day (occasionally) or months (rarely), and as such hardly get the chance to learn half the functions and settings on most cars.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - NARU

Review bias certainly exists. Witness the sycophantic way that journalists drool over anything made by JLR, even when it's shortcomings are dreadfully shown up in 'proper' test drives.

I seem to remember whatcar raving about LRs, even whilst their long term LR Freelander was in for repair for more than a month.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - bazza

There's enough bias to suspect many of the motoring mags and journos are on the payroll of the big European ( ie German manufacturers). Best to read as many sources as possible including this forum and there's a couple of good independent usa forums. Also owners forums will give you a longer term view of day to day ownership. Ragging something round a closed road with all expenses flights and hotels thrown in is always going to smooth the wheels for a decent write up .

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Andrew-T

I don't really see how a review journal that hopes to stay in business could allow a reviewer full rein in describing exactly what he finds good or (especially) bad about a new model. It has to err on the side of favourable?

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - focussed

Until very recently just about every car reviewed by most of the car journo scribblers and snappers was compared to a VW golf.

But then that's not a good idea any more is it?

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - gordonbennet

Confess i haven't read a magazine or newspaper car review for more years than i can remember, its not just gushing bias that puts me off either, have little interest in maintream.

Apart from this site the only car review thats been of any interest to me is the video linked to on Subaru UK's site for the WRX STi, quite a refreshing video that considering its on a makers site, reason i watched it is because my daughter test drove one the same weekend she test drove a new Civic typeR.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - madf

Let's see . Big maker conducts road tests in hot climate and flies journalists out for 3 days - 5 star hotels and all free.

Smaller maker does not .

Guess where journalists want to go...

Edited by madf on 05/02/2016 at 21:49

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - xtrailman

Mags love german cars, but most owners are less impressed reading the owner reviews and reliability ratings.

I believe whatcar and autocar are owned by the same company.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Avant

They are - Haymarket. There is now some commonality of journalists: so far they have kept the magazines separate and one can only hope that will continue.

I don't think that any reputable magazine would have journalists actually in the pay of motor manufacturers: BUT advertising revenue is a major part of their income and they probably can't br as rude as somethomes they would like.

I believe that in its early days (70s I think) CAR magazine said exactly what it thought about whether Volvos were interesting to drive, and for a long time Volvo GB refused to advertise in the magazine.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - NARU

Let's see . Big maker conducts road tests in hot climate and flies journalists out for 3 days - 5 star hotels and all free.

Journalist is even slightly negative about car.

Journalist doesn't get invited next time, but his colleague does instead. Journalist doesn't have any content to write.

If freelance --> Family goes hungry.

If staffer --> boss favours colleague who produces more content. Lack of promotions. P45. Family goes hungry.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Wackyracer

This reminds me of the original Top Gear program where they never said anything rude about the cars, they would simply quote manufacturers statements and say things like "it could have a little more room in the boot" etc.

I agree with the sentiment you don't bite the hand that feeds you but, I find alot of general public get some kind of a false impression of car brands. I worked for a man who bought a new Jaguar in 1988 after several years of problems he was adamant he would never buy another Jaguar. He turned up at work in a brand new Jaguar. Apparently the salesman told him these new ones were much better.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - RT

Back in my younger days, I'm going back a long way, I was an avid reader of "Motor" which was eventually merged with "Autocar" and then went into oblivion - I don't recall the Motor road tests pulling any punches, criticising where appropriate.

Mind you they put a lot more effort into the actual test process, timing performance and fuel consumption themselves, not relying of manufacturers/EU figures.

Sadly, it seems that most road test reviews now are a nice jolly and then regurgitate the manufacturer's PR spiel.

Edited by RT on 06/02/2016 at 11:55

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Chrishunt

Talking about lack of effort... a couple of years ago one of the big 3 car mags reviewed the new Civic (9th Gen) but the section on how good the car was to drive was pretty much word-for-word the commentary on the previous generation Civic when in actuality they are very different. It was clear the "reviewer" hadn't driven the car.

These reviews do matter - too many people take them at their word.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Engineer Andy

I suppose the only way (without certain manufacturers refusing to lend [for free] their cars to magazines/TV shows/websites for review) to get a really honest review is for either all the new models to be bought by the magazines/TV shows/websites (unrealistic due to the cost) or having enough advertising revenues to pay for the hire for short-ish (and some longer term ones) periods to allow a reasonably comprehensive review (including later follow-ups to see how the models are faring after a year or two on the market [defects/problems, etc]).

In the current climate, the second one looks to be the better alternative, though as we regularly here on this website, the line between a viable website-based business and going under is quite fine. I trust far more the opinions of fellow Backroomers whom I am familiar with/know they are not 'plants' from manufacturers than paid-for journos in general, though HJ appears to be in the minority of journos who actually can be trusted and well deserves his industry name.

Why some 'newapapers' even bother with motoring reviews I don't know - 90%+ of reviews are in the 4/5 category, with some makes being given 'deity' like status (VAG, Ford, JLR, BMW, Aston Martin) in their reviews. Even some patently 'carp' cars have been given good reviews. Tabloids are bad enough, but its actually the local rags that are the worst, mostly being (in my opinion) little more the advertisments pretending to be articles.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - 72 dudes

IMO What Car? are biased towards VAG products. Skoda Fabia - best small car, Skoda Octavia - best family car, Audi A3 saloon - better than a BMW 3 series, new A4 - best in class, Passat - best in class, Seat Leon - 'king marvellous etc etc.

The emissions trick scandal has hardly been mentioned, a half page in February's edition. Even then some of the facts about which engines were affected were wrong.

When the Citroen C5 MK3 first came out in 2008 it was a revelation when they compared it to Mondeo/Insignia. Now they give it 2 stars. Trouble is, they haven't actually tested one since 2008.

I think that of the current crop, Auto Express shows least bias.

And yes, I used to love "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" in CAR during the 70's

"VW Scirocco. A Scirocco is a hot desert breeze. The VW is more like a warm, wet f***".

"Vanden Plas 1500: A Pleyland joke"

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - bazza

A couple of mags spring to mind where, no matter how worthy the opposition are when comparisons are made, they cannot bear to place (insert any other make) ahead of either any of the BMW or a VW sacred cows! It becomes tiresome to be honest, which is why I haven't bought a car mag in years.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Engineer Andy

I don't think it helps that many motoring mags and journos have 'bought into' the spiel from the car and tyre manufacturers that performance is king and comfort is secondary (which is why ridiculousy low profile wheels and tyres are the order of the day, even though most people won't notice much difference unless they break the speed limit regularly (dangerous) or go on track days (unlikely for the vast majority of us).

I'd pay good money for a reliable, comfortable and not overly-expensive car to run, which, unfortunately means I do part with a lot of my hard-earned except when purchasing the car itself, hence why most makes don't offer that sort of car or option.

The car mags are, in my view, just another marketing tool for manufacturers to sell us their cars by pretending they are so much better than we already own (mostly not the case if affordability is taken into account) and will be the 'catalyst to transforming our lives' (which they won't, as with today's levels of traffic most cannot enjoy driving any more - more like draining our wallets).

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Compost Corner

My current car - 2015 Subaru Forester XY - is shaping up to be the best car I've ever owned (out of Subaru, BMW, Audi, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Fiat and Renault) yet it gets one star in What Car? and, I think, two stars in CAR.

My previous car - 2006 Subaru Outback - the best car I've owned but possibly about to be toppled - got three stars in What Car?

My wife's Evoque got praised by all the mags, and was a sales sensation, and it is a good car but far too cramped and impractical to be a 5 star car.

A firend recently hired the new Jaguar 3-series size model on holiday and hated it, had a long list of gripes relating to its design and would never consider buying one yet the UK mags praise it to the heavens.

I owned a BMW that blew its cylinder head due to a faulty water reservoir and an A4 that was gutless, noisy and had no room for my size 11 feet - 5 star cars according to the mags.

Take anything you read with a huge pinch of salt.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - madf

For me , it's simple, New cars "should" be perfect and nothing "should" go wrong for any owner from new for the first three years - as a minimum. (I exclude punctures and wear and tear on clutch/brakes)

On that basis, and using Reliability figures, no VAG /JRL product should win any awards. Ever.

Say no more.. and yes I am another who prefers comfort expecially on poor road surfaces .

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - focussed

For me , it's simple, New cars "should" be perfect and nothing "should" go wrong for any owner from new for the first three years - as a minimum. (I exclude punctures and wear and tear on clutch/brakes.

Exactly - If a car manufacturer can't produce a product that will last the first three years without suffering "faults" they should consider if they really should be producing cars at all.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - xtrailman

On the other hand i have test driven two different subarus over the last ten years and didn't rate either one, but bought another Nissan on both occasions.

The flatop LR i wouldn't even get into. I would buy a Korean car first.

Car mags test cars IMO that are good for driving, not cars that are always best for owning.

The new dicovery sport won a group test in this months March edition in WC mag, i would have put that in last place and the Merk in first. Its faster more economical has more torque more power, and i don't need 7 seats.

But i wouldn't buy a GLC because it not only has no spare, but no place to even put one.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Avant

Agreed wholeheratedly Xtrailman, thr last three paras in particular.

Autocar, which I've read since I was a boy of 13 in 1961, is I think pretty good at the moment; there was a time when there was too much on supercars but it's fairly well balanced now. they have some good journaliusts there, especially Steve Cropley and Andrew Frankel (who's a freelance). They don't have as many group tests (where I think posters above have seen the bias) and when they do, it's presented as one writer's personal opinion.

Haymarket have been economising recently by having several journalists write for both magazines. I can understand that (I trained as a chartered accountant!) but the magazines have a different purpose and their content needs to reflect that. What Car seems to have diminished in the last year - for example in the new March issue there is no 'Our Cars' long-term test report feature which is one of the most valuable things they do - indeed that any magazine does.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Oli rag

Until about 10 years ago ( could be longer), Autocar used to publish an article towards the end of each year, called " what broke this year".

This was quite a long list of parts that had gone wrong on the test vehicles during the previous 12 months. I seem to remember that a fairly common entry was for Saab manual gearboxes.

It made for interesting reading, but doubt the manufacturers named were too impressed and that's maybe why it's no longer done.

Anyone else remember it, or any common entries?

Edited by Oli rag on 07/02/2016 at 23:00

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - 72 dudes

What Car seems to have diminished in the last year - for example in the new March issue there is no 'Our Cars' long-term test report feature which is one of the most valuable things they do - indeed that any magazine does.

Agreed, Avant. Another key point is that they no longer keep them long enough to experience a service of the long term test car. They get rid of them just before a service is due in many cases! Thus avoiding any potentially embarrassing customer service or the need for expensive maintenance.

Obviously under pressure from costs, but no longer the consumer champions for cars.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Steveieb

Which is the consumer champion as they do not take advertising revenue from car manufacturers and buy their test cars from high street garages rather than accept specially prepared demonstators.

But Audi PR Department have the best business model as they loan more cars to stars and people in the public eye than any other manufacturer. So the cars get featured every time the stars get photographed by the press and magazines. e.g Princess Diana, Kate Middleton.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - davecooper
It does seem that motoring journalists cannot agree on some cars. Take the Jaguar XE, one major mag said this is now the baby exec to beat while another said it would not worry the (German) establishment! Other manufacturers such as Mazda seem to divide journalist opinion as well.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Compost Corner

One of the mags - can't remember what one - used to dismantle high mileage examples of popular models - took the engine apart and everything, reported any wear and tear.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - galileo

One of the mags - can't remember what one - used to dismantle high mileage examples of popular models - took the engine apart and everything, reported any wear and tear.

I think it was AutoExpress.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - quizman

I had Whatcar from the first edition until about 3 years ago when I got fed up with it. I had it on subscription and they didn't even ask me why I was cancelling.

If I buy a magazine now I buy Auto Express, I find it the most interesting for cars that I might buy. I lik ethe accesory tests also.

I subscribe to Which magazine and the car tests aren't like they were. I reckon they hire one for a day or so and use that for their reports. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if palms aren't greased a little bit with their tests. Meile, Samsung and Bosch always do well. In fact the best 10 TVs Samsung have got 9!!!

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - nortones2

It rather depended on whether AutoBild had dismantled a car. IIRC they are or were, linked. Just checked: there is more than a link. Both part of the Axel Springer media group.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Manatee

Car mags test cars IMO that are good for driving, not cars that are always best for owning.

That touches on a major source of bias affecting even the most careful reviews - what matters to the prospective buyer is generally not the main focus of the review. The ones that wax endlessly on the supposed finer points of handling and performance, for example, are irrelevant to almost everybody.

I have long believed that the best solution to almost any problem is usually the best compromise. This must apply to a family car, which has to do so many different jobs. A car that is focused primarily on one dimension is unlikely to be a good all rounder. Reviews don't favour those cars, as they appear to excel at nothing - but being pretty good at most things is quite an achievement, and those are the cars that people hang on to.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - steelghost

It's quite instructive to read "user" reviews vs "expert" reviews on sites like Autotrader and Parkers. Typically you find cars that are not favoured by the motoring press (like my own Avensis, for instance) get much higher ratings because factors like the Nth degree of road feel and "midrange acceleration" don't actually matter that much when you're going to the shops or making ordinary journeys on A roads. More ordinary things like "did it go wrong in an expensive way", "can I fit everything I need in the boot" and "is is comfortable" become rather more important.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Happy Blue!

Just bought CAR for the first time in a few years (read it religiously from age 8 to 40ish). I was most diappointed. No real depth, the usual high value cars on test, lots of photos but none that would assist in understanding the size or shape or internal/dash layout and far less erudition than came years ago from LJKS or George Bishop.

Another feature I have noticed over the years is that cars which are very practical, but slightly boring (Ford Fusion) get a terrible right up, but after they stop making them, suddenly they become the best car to buy for people who want practical. Why not assess a car on what it is designed to do rather than comparing it with a hot hatch.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - galileo

Just bought CAR for the first time in a few years (read it religiously from age 8 to 40ish). I was most diappointed. No real depth, the usual high value cars on test, lots of photos but none that would assist in understanding the size or shape or internal/dash layout and far less erudition than came years ago from LJKS or George Bishop.

I seem to remember that Motor and Autocar used to not only give full performance details (speed in each gear, actual mpg, as well as 0-60 times and braking distances) but lots of dimensions of interiors (headroom, seating) as well as external size.

Far more useful than the current mostly subjective opinions and glossy pictures.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - skidpan

Does review bias exist, of course it does.

Manufacturer A loans you a new car to drive round Blighty for a wet week

Manufacturer B takes you to Spain for the launch, puts you in a nice hotel all epenses paid and then gives you a variety of cars to drive over the next few days.

Considering carefully how you would like to spend your next new car launch how would you bias your articles?

A simple fact. Every time Vauxhall launches a new Vectra all the mags place it at the top of the class immediately with 5 stars saying it beats the Mondeo etc. Over the next 6 months it slowly looses its class leaders position and the star rating drops to 3. How can a great car suddenly become so average, or was it merely average all the time.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - CHASBEE52

Stop reading the nmagazines and go drive the cars if there is something you really like go and rent one for a few days. Frequently driveing rentals for work Iin all weather and at night opened my eyes.. I miss the old motor magazine tests where they compared wiper patterns, haedlights, heaters. all the things that really matter. I have no interest in Infotainment it s not important. for me JD power surrvay and warranty directs published results tell me more about the the cars than biased road tests .

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Leif
Not sure why you dug up an old thread.

JD Power is questionable. Satisfaction is a function of expectation. If you pay a large wodge for a Deutsche Uber Barge, you expect high standards. And as far as I can see they don’t highlight if a car is generally reliable but one popular variant has serious faults. More basic cars with less electrics are more likely to be more reliable. Cars that sell mainly as rep mobiles will do lots more miles, hence be more likely to fail. Cars sold to retired people - I present as evidence a Honda Jazz M’lud - are unlikely to do high mileage or be thrashed. In short, JD Power is too simplistic and shallow to be of much use.
Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - SLO76
“JD Power is too simplistic and shallow to be of much use.”

Agreed. Best examples are all VAG products. Mechanically and electronically identical Skoda always does far better than Audi or VW in these surveys but when you analyse the stats you find they’re more often than not privately owned and doing a much lower mileage than the mostly company financed VW/Audi which does far higher miles. Plus the Skoda buyer tends to have come out of an older privately owned car that compares badly with their new up to date Skoda while an average Audi or VW owner/leaser will have came out of a relatively new model nine times out of ten.

The best way to judge a car for reliability is to ask those who fix or sell them for a living or taxi drivers who test them to destruction.
Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - daveyK_UK

autoexpress never say a bad word against VAG

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - oldroverboy.

MG ZS review from THE SUN.

Do you think they'll be invited next time?

I’ll go right ahead and say it. I wasn’t expecting much from this car. The MG3 supermini is a plastic turd inside and the GS SUV, while better inside, looks like a plastic turd outside.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 02/08/2018 at 07:06

Do you have a link to that review? I was unable to find it.

The MG3 looks no worse than many/most cars inside, from photos anyway. The issue I have is that they get a very low safety rating, so I would not want to be seen dead in one.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Manatee

Pasted the whole quote into google. First hit.

www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4822931/mg-electric-powere.../

Pasted the whole quote into google. First hit.

www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4822931/mg-electric-powere.../

Yes I saw that, it's a short news story. I was trying to find the review referred to.

Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - skidpan

When I was younger (much younger) I tended to believe the written word far more than I do as an old sceptic. Last car I bought based probably more on a magazine review than my test drive experience was an XR3i. All the mags loved them after the luke warm reception they gave the original XR3 but in the real world they were dreadful. A definite case of marketing over substance. Once the final payment was made (2 years) it was off the drive and on the drive came a Golf GTi, a car worthy of all the hype. Had 2 over an 11 1/2 year period.

Regarding the accuracy of WhatCar tests here is an example from a few years ago. Back in 2008 I was planning to change the Micra we had for a bigger and more powerful car. Short list included the Kia Ceed, Toyota Auris, Golf, Civic etc. Bought a WhatCar which contained a group test of the Ceed. Auris and AN Other but after a careful search and many test drives bought a car not on the shortlist, a BMW 118D, kept it for a very happy and trouble free 5 1/2 years.

Move onto 2010 and the wife is changing her C-Max. She wanted another tall car so we shortlisted the C-Max (again), S-Max, Verso plus a couple of SUV's (CRV and XC60). Bought WhatCar because there was a group test containing the CRV (and X-Trail plus AN Other) but when I read the performance figures for that car plus the others they looked incredibly good for cars of that type. Then I just happened to pick up the 2 year old WhatCar I bought previously and the performanvce and economy figures for the petrol hatch group test from 2008 and the diesel SUV group test from 2010 were identical, they had simply copied and pasted the page. But was the page form 2008 genuine or pasted from elsewhere.

I e-mailed WhatCar using the address in the mag asking for an explanation but 8 years on I am still awaiting a reply.

Clearly its easier to take the laptop to the pub and make up a report than actually drive the things on the road/track to determine the facts.

Will never believe a WhatCar test again.

Like you I am rather cynical, but I think you can get a reasonable impression by reading many reviews, but at the end of the day it comes down to basics. How much room does the car have, what mpg does it do, what toys does it have such as CarPlay, and heated wing mirrors, and so on. No doubt you will have your own needs, and the review will not be weighted in the same way. In practice you can narrow down cars on the basis of spec. Then look at each one and test drive if possible. Unfortunately some specs such as mpg are not as reliable as one might hope, though the new tests should be better, hopefully.

I remember that the old Mercedes A class was not well reviewed. I had one as a loaner for three days it was awful, not as good as my VW Up. I always banged my head getting in, the engine was dull, the cabin was cramped. So in that case the reviews were on the mark.
Car Review Bias; Does it Exist? - Terry W

Of course there is a review bias. A large part of car marketing is persuading auto-journos with wine, food, track and travel experiences. Some are better than others with bigger budgets.

30+ years ago I used to travel to Paris weekly and would hire a small car for local use. There were material difference between makes - Metro, Peugot, Citroen, VW, Renault, etc. Today differences are minimal due to platform sharing, Rover are no more, which car was most recently launched.

Best advice for car buying is therefore:

- be clear what you need vs want/afford

- visit car supermarket where you can look at dozens

- test drive or hire each of a shortlist of 2 or 3