can you bump move an automatic - Gerry Sanderson

When I had a vehicle with a manual gearbox if it stopped and I put it into a low gear and pressed the starter/ignition I could move it forward on the ignition. Handy to get it off the road onto the verge on breakdown.

Now I have automatic will the same apply if I select drive and press the start button?

Dont want to try in case it is a NO NO and I cause damage,

dvd

can you bump move an automatic - jp2021

No you can't . With some you can put it in neutral and push it . Those with electric parking brake you may not be able to.

Do not attempt to tow an automatic without reading the owners handbook. Some you can tow for a limited distance and at a slow speed but even these it is easy to damage the box . Get breakdown cover including recovery.

can you bump move an automatic - badbusdriver

When I read the title of the thread I assumed you meant bump start.

But with modern cars, I'd imagine doing what you are saying could potentially do a lot of damage regardless of whether it was auto or manual, and I certainly wouldn't even try it. If you feel the position of the car is a hazard, make sure you have some means of warning traffic, maybe even a flashing light to put on the roof. And if the car is in a hazardous position, get out of it and wait somewhere safe.

can you bump move an automatic - mcb100
There’s usually an inhibitor to stop an automatic being started either by key or button when it’s in anything but Park or Neutral.

Edited by mcb100 on 01/03/2021 at 16:53

can you bump move an automatic - galileo
There’s usually an inhibitor to stop an automatic being started either by key or button when it’s in anything but Park or Neutral.

I believe many recent manual cars also prevent starting in gear unless the clutch is pressed to disconnect drive.

can you bump move an automatic - mcb100
I believe many recent manual cars also prevent starting in gear unless the clutch is pressed to disconnect drive.

There may well be, force of habit means I always start cars with the clutch pedal depressed.
can you bump move an automatic - Bromptonaut

Yup, my 2016 manual Skoda Fabia has exactly that feature.

Whilst I'd normally depress the clutch to start it's a bit of a PITA if I forget.

can you bump move an automatic - Andrew-T

<< Whilst I'd normally depress the clutch to start it's a bit of a PITA if I forget. >>

Only if a gear has been selected ? We oldies probably select neutral AND depress the clutch, as anything to reduce effort from the starter is worth doing - especially in a cold climate, which is where some of my motoring habits were established.

can you bump move an automatic - Avant

I'm sure I read some time ago that if you try to start a car by running it down a hill and letting in the clutch (or push-starting, come to that), you would do serious damage to the catalytic converter.

Anyone know if this is true or just an old wives' tale?

can you bump move an automatic - Andrew-T

I'm sure I read some time ago that if you try to start a car by running it down a hill and letting in the clutch (or push-starting, come to that), you would do serious damage to the catalytic converter.

I'm trying to work that one out - maybe if droplets of liquid fuel reached it ? But I can't see anything worse than over-choking taking place.

can you bump move an automatic - bathtub tom

I thought that by operating the starter motor a signal was sent to the ECU to optimise fuelling to cause minimal damage to the cat. Bump starting would override that.

can you bump move an automatic - John F

Never heard that before - definitely a deluded old wife tale. It takes a fair bit to knock out a cat. I remember an HT lead failing on our old VW Passat 2.0GL with at least six figures on the clock when on hols in France - we had to drive for many miles limping along with just three cylinders, but it didn't affect the next MoT emissions test.

can you bump move an automatic - elekie&a/c doctor

Absolutely, a total myth. On a modern car you are more likely to wreck the engine, especially if it is one of those models that have a poor history of timing chain failures.

can you bump move an automatic - Big John

Never heard that before - definitely a deluded old wife tale. It takes a fair bit to knock out a cat. I remember an HT lead failing on our old VW Passat 2.0GL with at least six figures on the clock when on hols in France - we had to drive for many miles limping along with just three cylinders, but it didn't affect the next MoT emissions test.

Not so sure. The wasted spark coil pack failed on my old Octavia 1.4 16v a few years ago effectively dropping the engine to two cylinders. I was about 10 miles from home and decided to carry on driving. Drove surprisingly well considering - engine management somehow maintained tickover speed however top speed was only just over 30mph.

Fast forward to the next MOT and it failed on emissions. Replacement of Cat restored health. Did the coil pack failure cause the failure - not sure.

Same car at 120000 miles (approx 60k later) and it went again near home. I stopped fairly quickly and there was a very hot smell (which may have been the coil!!)- when repaired car passed next MOT just fine.

As the coil pack was cheap and a very easy fix decided to carry a spare!

Edited by Big John on 02/03/2021 at 20:04