Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - atyl1972

Hey guys, this is my first post. hopefully when the lockdown ends and we can visit showrooms and have test drives again, I will be in the market for a sports car and have a budget of £80k, there are a few ideas in mind like Mercedes C63s, maybe E63s, M5 Comp, Panamera. does anyone own any of these cars that can offer their views/opinions please, very much appreciated. ??

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - Avant

To most of us a 'sports car' means a coupe or convertible. The ones you mention are all good cars but more in the nature of sports saloons or hatchbacks.

Whatever you go for, it'll be a personal choice, and at that price it needs to be just right. More use than anyone else's advice will be your own impressions from test-driving them.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - Alby Back
Not that I've owned anything like those, but my boss has had a C63 and a Panamera in the recent past. I've had the chance to drive both of them on long trans continental trips.

The C63 was a joyous but very raw thing. Hard in every respect, but possibly a bit wearing on a long run.

The Panamera was in a different league. Felt equally fast, but much more refined as a long distance cruiser.
Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - John F

If someone told me to spend £80K on a sports car I would buy a low mileage (under 50,000) Bentley Continental convertible for £50K and reserve £30K for service and repairs.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - Terry W

They are all good cars.

I suggest you rent each for a weekend, drive each at least 500 miles of mixed motoring - city, rural, motorway - then decide which you like.

£80k is far more than anyone need pay for a wholly competent vehicle - you are, in reality, buying an ego boost and unnecessary performance. The answer is down to personal preferences and perceptions, and little to do with the quality of the contenders.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - Stackman II

If I was spending that sort of money on a high-performance statement of a car I would prefer to spend it on a car that looked like an expensive car, rather than one which could be confused for a Stuttgart taxi!

I would go for the Porsche mainly for that reason and I understand it would be a pretty good drive as well.

Not that such a dilemma is ever likely to trouble me, but, I think the opposite, I'd rather have a car that was relatively inconspicuous but carried a big stick, so to speak.

Debadged E63 estate perhaps.
Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - daveyjp

I'd think similarly and probably seek out a well looked after Aston Martin Rapide for about £40k.

If the lottery of Aston Martin ownership is too much I'd find a similar priced Nissan GTR.

Can't see the point of an £80k Merc or BMW which looks like thousands of other far cheaper repmobiles from the same company.

yes very true most are saloons, I did forget to mention that the C63s would be a coupe, and agree 100% on the test drive when available again.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - Manatee

The only one of those that I could appear in public in would be the Panamera. The others are just penis extensions. I'm not suggesting that is what you are looking for, but if it isn't then I'd look elsewhere. But, as others have said, it has to be personal preference because they are all way beyond what is needed for functional utility.

An important question however, unless money is literally no object, is whose is the risk of ownership? If they are company cars and not on your budget, that's different from buying it yourself and paying the depreciation.

Well you did ask :)

Yes it is solely my budget, money is not endless but I like nice quality goods and I have a passion for cars, and nice cars. the Porsche would be a very sentimental buy if it were a Porsche, and having currently a Range Rover on a 19 plate, i don't want to go too far back in age and in particular technology. saying that my RR is awful, so much turbo lag when pulling off, and the tech inside lags equally.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - badbusdriver

Whether or not the OP's own suggestions are 'sports cars' or not is a moot point as the term has no real definition, a bit like so many terms dreamed up to describe a car. Sport utility vehicle?, multi purpose vehicle?, people carrier?. That isn't to say I'd describe an M5 as as a sports car, but then I wouldn't describe a Morris Minor convertible as one either!.

None of these are really my cup of tea, though I can see the appeal. But rather than an M5, why not think outside the box and look at an Alpina BMW B5?. Currently two on Autotrader, one of which is the estate version (way cooler than a fast saloon IMO) and is being sold by the only official Alipna dealer in the UK, Sytner. It is a 2018 example with less than 15k miles for £74k.

Rather than a Panamera, why not consider a Maserati Quattroporte?. On Autotrader I see there is a 2015 3.8 version with only 8k miles from Maserati dealer. The 3.8 being the top of the range using a twin turbo Ferrari engine making 530bhp (still about 70 down on the Alpina, but plenty for most!). It is £40k, which is quite a high price, but with that miles, and from a Maserati dealer, should be as safe buy as any Maserati can be! (BTW, you can get newer ones, but with less power). As well as the Quattroporte, you could also have a look at the beautiful Gran Turismo coupe. Your budget could get you into a 2019 4.7 (460bhp) version with £10k change.

Despite what I said earlier about the OP's suggestions not being my cup of tea, I do actually like the notion of a powerful saloon, and to that end, what would appeal to me probably more than any other is the Bentley Arnage. For less than £50k you could have one of the last of these hand built behemoth's, with the 500bhp version of the venerable 6.8 litre turbo V8 (twin turbo here). 500bhp isn't an insignificant amount of power, but it is the torque which is the key to the Arnage's personality. 1000NM of it, @ 3200 rpm!, by way of comparison, the current M5 in its most powerful guise makes 750NM (from 1800-5950rpm).

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - RGCRob

If you're looking for something fun, I'd go for the 718 Cayman. All the performance you need and you'll have change left over.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - Manatee

Somewhat off the point and with apologies to the OP...if I had money to burn, I think I might have a classic 911 - a 993 maybe, the last of the air-cooled engines. That would be for the satisfaction of owning an automotive landmark and probably a few classic car days. But for the driving pleasure I'd want to keep my 1.5 litre MX-5.

The driving part of motoring enjoyment requires full engagement with the car's potential and for me that isn't found with many cars having over 200hp Not that I have tried most of them, obviously, but I have driven quite a few properly fast cars and whilst some were impressive (others frankly awful IMO) the driving part on public roads quickly becomes very boring.

It's the kind of problem one would like to have but is probably impossible to solve. There's a limit to the level of satisfaction that can be achieved, and happy is happy. I still enjoy driving and the first job for the car is not to get in the way of that simple pleasure. The pursuit of motoring perfection must end in frustration when the optimal car for the widest range of circumstances is probably some kind of Toyota.

If I could conjure up for my garage some of the cars that I remember for the right reasons from my motoring life they might include a 1962 Mini Cooper, a 1980's Saab Turbo, a Mk 1 Golf GTI 1600, an XK120 and a Bedford RL lorry that probably taught me more about driving than anything else did. The other rule breaker would be a Bentley Continental R that belonged to a friend, power as RR used to say was "sufficient" but being so heavy it wasn't really overpowered even with a 6.7 litre turbocharged engine.

Panamera. It even looks a bit like a Toyota.

The other rule breaker would be a Bentley Continental R that belonged to a friend, power as RR used to say was "sufficient" but being so heavy it wasn't really overpowered even with a 6.7 litre turbocharged engine.

Yeah, no lightweight at nearly 2.5 tonnes!. The power ranged from 389-426 bhp depending on age and specific model, but even the least powerful(!) version is packing 750NM of torque @ 2000RPM.

Panamera. It even looks a bit like a Toyota.

I don't mind the looks of the current Panamera (particularly the estate version), but the 1st gen wasn't a great looking car at all!.

I could just about be persuaded by a Panamera estate or whatever they call them. But in truth, with a healthy budget, I'd most probably go for another large estate with (much) more engine than my current one has.

It must be just me, but I'm always having to shift things that take up a lot of room, and I like the idea of a stealthy car that doesn't draw attention to itself, but that has a lot of hidden potential.

I could just about be persuaded by a Panamera estate or whatever they call them. But in truth, with a healthy budget, I'd most probably go for another large estate with (much) more engine than my current one has. It must be just me, but I'm always having to shift things that take up a lot of room, and I like the idea of a stealthy car that doesn't draw attention to itself, but that has a lot of hidden potential.

Look no further than what I suggested up the thread a little, the Alpina BMW B5. I sometimes hear these being described as the thinking mans M5(!). Where the current and previous few generations af M5 have become fairly aggressive in nature, overtly all about performance and handling, the Alpina has more emphasis on comfort, subtlety and mile munching ability. Plus, BMW don't make an M5 estate, but you can have a B5 estate. The one on Autotrader I was looking at was also pretty unassuming to look at with no Alpina badging, in fact the only badging at all were the BMW roundels on bonnet and tailgate. Just a 5 Series estate, but packing a 600bhp punch!.

Thanks guys for all the opinions, much appreciated and I have read them all, my only doubt about spending that sort of cash is the depreciation so this car has to be right, I honestly do not car whether it's a Coupe, or a 5 door saloon. I'm 49, mid life crisis in-bound and want to enjoy my purchase to the full extent, such a big decision that I will make when having test drove them all ??. happy motoring guys.

If you are concerned about the depreciation on a fairly new £80k car, then best forget about this plan in its current form. Pretty much anything you buy is going to take a big hit on depreciation.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - movilogo

Any car (except few old classics) is a depreciating asset. More modern the car is, more heavily it is going to depreciate.

If you are not comfortable with that fact, then

1. Don't spend that much money on a car
  2. Buy a house (in North of England where you can buy 3-bed house for £50k), put it on rent, and on that profit get a car on PCP. At least the house will appreciate on value :)

Great idea on the house, dare I say it guys....whats the thoughts on Tesla's?

dare I say it guys....whats the thoughts on Tesla's?

As long as it fits with your life regarding charging and range (obviously not as much an issue with the Tesla as some), sure, I'd have one!.

Just had a look on Autotrader and for £12k above your budget, you could get into a Porsche Taycan...............

Tough call to make, but I'm wondering what new possibly premium or sporty car now, might appreciate in value. A friend of my father, bought a new Aston Martin DB6 in the '60s. The guy is in his 90s now, still has it, still drives it now and then, and has kept it pristine. It is worth a small fortune. He has had other cars around it but he has always kept it on the road.

Edited by Alby Back on 11/02/2021 at 20:04

I know, please don't lol

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - daveyjp

And like my mate within 6 months realise a Porsche which sounds like a washing machine isn't a Porsche. He swapped it for a Panamera!

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW - Budget £80k, what sports car? - bazza

Would have to be the best 911 I could afford for the money, actually an older one bought carefully might not lose you any money. Best of luck, a lovely dilemma!