Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - lucklesspedestrian

Hi

Thinking about trading in the Auris (1.2T) which has done nothing wrong but is just a bit 'meh' for a rather nice Peugeot 3008 1.2 (130) GT line in a very fetching copper/bronze colour at the same dealers we bought the Toyota from back in June of this year (okay...swmbo loves it!)

It was first registered in March 2018 and has only done 11000 miles. I know the puretech engines are fundamentally sound but have read reports that they don't like to be continually slogged around cities at low speed. We're in Perthshire, Scotland where there isn't much going on in terms of urban gridlock even in the closest thing we have to a metropolis i.e. Perth (the 'ahem' 'rush hour' lasts for about 30 mins and I'm not ever there being semi-retired).

Does anyone think that the low mileage might be an issue or just check for engine management lightsand fill her up with v-Power and give her a good blast if I buy her?? (Obviously there will be a warranty too)

I'm just worried that the wow factor with this car (interior and exterior) is leading me into a heart over head scenario!

All advice as always gratefully received!

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - elekie&a/c doctor
“Puretech engines are fundamentally sound “ . Sadly they are not . Lots of problems with the wet belt camshaft drive system . Stick with your Toy motor .
Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - barney100

There seem to be a few cars around with faults the manufacturers know about but say little.

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - sammy1

There are a few reports on this sight of engine failure between 20-40miles just out of 3 year warranty and Peugeot not wanting to know. You need to do some more research on this engine.

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - Lee Power

All turbocharged Puretech engines built up to April 2017 are currently being recalled across Europe as the timing belt degrades which can lead to loss of braking assistance.

PSA are inspecting the belts & updating the engine ecu software.

Unfortunately even the later specification of timing belt used now doesn't improve the issue - it just moves it along so the failure happens outside the manufacturers warranty period.

PSA are also reducing the belt replacement interval down to 62k miles / 6 years.

The belt issue must be a big problem as Sealey have even produced a tool to check the belt degradation.

There's a revised version of the 1.2 Puretech engine coming in the near future, tellingly its got a timing CHAIN fitted as PSA can't solve the belt issue.

As a 308 Puretech 130 owner I can't wait to get rid of it in the next 12 months before I get stung for an expensive timing belt replacement.

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - John F

There are a few reports on this sight of engine failure between 20-40miles just out of 3 year warranty and Peugeot not wanting to know.....

Where? I have just searched 'all forums' for 'puretech' and found none pertaining to any failure in the last few years. Indeed, there are hardly any 'puretech threads at all!

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - sammy1

There are a few reports on this sight of engine failure between 20-40miles just out of 3 year warranty and Peugeot not wanting to know.....

Try searching Peugeot 1.2 engine problems

Not a good read from some owners " puretech" I don't think so!

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - Avant

Keep the Auris for another year or so and save up for a new or nearly-new Corolla. Better to drive than the Auris and I'm sure it'll be just as reliable.

An alternative might be the Mazda 3 which might appeal to your other half. If you do look there, stick to petrol and don't go near the diesel.

Edited by Avant on 30/01/2021 at 23:12

Well, I'm a fan of this engine - we have one in our 2019 Pug 2008, the 130hp variant, just like the OPs. I did my homework and was well aware of the BIO problem which was a bad batch of belts which frayed. One the posts on this thread is nonsense - a timing belt has no connection with the braking system. Of all the hundreds of thousands of these engines spinning away happily across the globe there are in fact very few reports of failure, especially after the problem was recognised and dealt with. By all means avoid early versions but I think the OP would be very pleased with a 2018 low mileage puretech, especially if it is mated to the EAT6 gearbox - and especially in the UK now as the exhaust manifold design means the heater works in no time - an essential requirement for this oldie!

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - badbusdriver

Of all the hundreds of thousands of these engines spinning away happily across the globe there are in fact very few reports of failure

You could accurately say the same about the Ecoboost though. If you expressed the total number of failures as a percentage of the total amount of engines produced, the figure is likely to be pretty small. But the Puretec (like the Ecoboost) has been produced in huge numbers, so the chances of inadvertently buying a car with an engine which does fail, is considerably higher than in, for example, the OP's Toyota Auris 1.2t.

You say the problem was recognised and dealt with, but the same has been said of the Ecoboost (around since 2012 I think). Yet it doesn't take much looking to find 2017 examples having failed, indeed I was told recently of a 2019 Ecoboost equipped car failing.

the exhaust manifold design means the heater works in no time - an essential requirement for this oldie!

That does sound appealing though, I'd say our Suzuki Ignis (1.2 petrol) takes longer to heat up than my Caddy 2.0 diesel! :-(

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - Andrew-T

<< the Puretec (like the Ecoboost) has been produced in huge numbers, so the chances of inadvertently buying a car with an engine which does fail, is considerably higher than in, for example, the OP's Toyota Auris 1.2t. >>

I don't get this - why ? You are only buying one car, so the chances of it being faulty are the same as the failure rate for that model, probably < 1%. The chance of finding a dud are proportional to the number of examples you can choose from. That, of course, may depend on how many have been sold on because of faults ....

One the posts on this thread is nonsense - a timing belt has no connection with the braking system.

On the turbocharged Puretech engines there is a vacuum pump to provide the required vacuum for the brake servo.

Look up Peugeot JZR recall campaign & eat humble pie.

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - Bromptonaut

On the turbocharged Puretech engines there is a vacuum pump to provide the required vacuum for the brake servo.

I was wondering about that too. A vacuum pump driven from the camshaft was used on PSA diesels for donkey's years.

Was trying to work out in my own head if a turbo would affect the use of manifold vacuum for the servo.

One the posts on this thread is nonsense - a timing belt has no connection with the braking system.

On the turbocharged Puretech engines there is a vacuum pump to provide the required vacuum for the brake servo. Look up Peugeot JZR recall campaign & eat humble pie.

Only a small portion, please. It's a pretty remote connection for one of those old belts fraying so badly that it produces enough debris to block the oil filter, allowing more debris to bypass it and block the vacuum pump filter sufficiently to cause some brake assistance loss. Seems to have taken them many years to think the risk is great enough for a recall. I wonder what the garage will actually do, apart from peering into oil filler hole to see the belt?

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - bathtub tom
It's a pretty remote connection for one of those old belts fraying so badly that it produces enough debris to block the oil filter, allowing more debris to bypass it and block the vacuum pump filter

I would've thought the flow would be past the sump strainer, befor the oil filter.

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - Brit_in_Germany

A few issues mentioned towards the bottom of this:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/peugeot/308-2014/good

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - daveyK_UK
Play it safe and tell the dealer you will buy it if they change the belt.

If it’s the original version of the puretech engine (think it’s anything built before 2017), the new belt they will replace it with will be superior.

The latest (3rd version) of the puretech belt is different again, what I can’t seem to find is when the production of the 2nd version and 3rd version changed over?
Does anyone know?

Also, I have never meet a mechanic who has changed a belt on one of these engines so I have no idea how difficult it is to change?

As for the engine, it drives brilliantly, it’s my favourite small turbo boost engine.
Plenty of pull, better fuel economy than the Ford eco boost and more refined.

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - SLO76
They’re quite popular around here and I’ve yet to meet anyone who’s suffered any engine issues unlike Fords ecoboom or Renaults 1.2 TCexplode. Though most are taken new on PCP and returned at 3/4yrs old with low miles. I know a few people with older N/A 1.2 208’s but none with heavy mileages. I’m no longer skulking around auctions or speaking to dealers these days so I’m not really hearing their opinions on them. Typical with Peugeot’s though i do hear the occasional gripe regards electrical issues.
Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - badbusdriver

<< the Puretec (like the Ecoboost) has been produced in huge numbers, so the chances of inadvertently buying a car with an engine which does fail, is considerably higher than in, for example, the OP's Toyota Auris 1.2t. >>

I don't get this - why ? You are only buying one car, so the chances of it being faulty are the same as the failure rate for that model, probably < 1%. The chance of finding a dud are proportional to the number of examples you can choose from. That, of course, may depend on how many have been sold on because of faults ....

Well first, I'd say up to 1% is bit optimistic, I was thinking more like up to 5%. So if that were the case, a quick look on Autotrader suggests there are 4600 Focus (Focii?) for sale with the 1.0 Ecoboost. If my maths is right, that means there are 230 duffers out there waiting for an unsuspecting punter to hand over their money.

As for the Toyota 1.2t, not sure if there are any cases of the engine failing. But assuming none at all is unlikely, I'd say at the most, 0.5% of cars might fail. There are 205 Auris 1.2t for sale on Autotrader, so even assuming the number of failures was 0.5% (and I suspect it wouldn't be that high), that would mean 1 of those 205 cars could fail.

1 is a much smaller number than 230, therefore your chances of inadvertently buying a duffer is much higher if buying a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost than if you were buying an Auris 1.2t.

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/01/2021 at 10:35

Thanks for the replies, as always they are all really helpful. I suppose the problem I've got is that the chances of running into reliability issues with most cars in comparison to the Auris will be higher. It then boils down to what level of risk I'm prepared to tolerate or indeed what potential financial hit I'm prepared to accept IF things do go wrong. We were looking at VAG products with the 1.5 TSi Evo engine but discounted those because of the well documented hesitation issues.

I think I'll do a bit more research into the cost of timing belt replacements on these cars, keep you posted!

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - Andrew-T

<< I was thinking more like up to 5%. So if that were the case, a quick look on Autotrader suggests there are 4600 Focus (Focii?) for sale with the 1.0 Ecoboost. If my maths is right, that means there are 230 duffers out there waiting for an unsuspecting punter to hand over their money. >>

Ah now, BBD, if you are saying the Toyota is 10 times less likely to be faulty, that's a bit different. That represents the chance of a punter being unlucky with one rather than the other; nothing to do with how many are available. Because if a lot more are available, there are that many more available without faults ! QED ?

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - pd

Pretty much any garage with access to Autodata book time will be able to tell you the billable hour rate for a cambelt change just from the registration number.

The timing belt kit seems to cost about £88 including VAT from typical motor factors.

Even though this is more complicated than some I'd honestly be surprised if it is more than 4 hours so at a 3rd party garage with about £60 an hour Labour you really shouldn't be looking at much over £300-£350 to get it done.

To the poster who is changing their car to avoid this surely you don't expect to be able to change the car for under £400?

To the poster who is changing their car to avoid this surely you don't expect to be able to change the car for under £400?

I've already had one goodwill gesture from Peugeot UK at 34k miles to decoke the inlet valves - another reported Puretech issue due to the direct fuel injection.

I keep my vehicles a long time until there not worth repairing BUT I've just got no confidence in Puretech for long term ownership prospects or durability.

The car has already had several other warranty repairs carried out & its not even 5 years old yet.

PSA must have no faith in the wet timing belt durability either else they wouldnt be fitting a timing chain to the upcoming revised 1.2 Puretech 3 cylinder engine.

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - pd

PSA must have no faith in the wet timing belt durability either else they wouldnt be fitting a timing chain to the upcoming revised 1.2 Puretech 3 cylinder engine.

Oh dear. That went well for them on the PRINCE engine! :)

Oh dear. That went well for them on the PRINCE engine! :)

Seems to be a running theme with engine of the year award winners not being any good for long term durability.

Prince

Ecoboost

Puretech

Okay, we'll stick rather than twist. The Auris has just had new brakes all round, new Michelin Cross Climates and upgraded headlight bulbs as well as a nice new sump full of 0w/20.

See you again in 18 months when I'll be asking: "so, which engines haven't won 'engine of the year'?" and take it from there....

In all seriousness, I think lockdown boredom was nudging me in the direction of a shiny new car, something which, on reflection, is probably best resisted!

The 2 litre Toyota hybrid power train looks a good bet.

Timing chain, manicat plus both direct & indirect fuel injection ( keeps the backs of the inlet valves clean )

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - daveyK_UK
The 2.0 Toyota petrol hybrid engine in the Corolla is fabulous

Peugeot 3008 1.2 - should the low mileage be a worry? - fray bentos

Okay, we'll stick rather than twist. The Auris has just had new brakes all round, new Michelin Cross Climates and upgraded headlight bulbs as well as a nice new sump full of 0w/20.

See you again in 18 months when I'll be asking: "so, which engines haven't won 'engine of the year'?" and take it from there....

In all seriousness, I think lockdown boredom was nudging me in the direction of a shiny new car, something which, on reflection, is probably best resisted!

Just wondering what the upgraded bulbs were. Toyota optiwhites maybe?

Just wondering what the upgraded bulbs were. Toyota optiwhites maybe?

Yes, exactly those, really make a difference too, the originals weren't great, struggle to understand why Toyota don't just make the optiwhites standard.