VW GOlf 1.6 - New Tyres - privateinvestor

Hello,

Looking to spend cash on 4 new tyres 205/15 16.

Two choices Goodyear efficient GRIP 2 or Michelin Primacy 4, car originally came with Michellin Energy. Which should I go for.

Any advice and replies thanks in advance.

VW GOlf 1.6 - New Tyres - Manatee

Both top quailty tyres. In tests the Michelin had the edge on the previous version of the Goodyear.

There's a video test here that includes both, I haven't watched it.

www.carthrottle.com/post/whats-the-best-tyre-for-a.../

Thank you

VW GOlf 1.6 - New Tyres - Engineer Andy

Hello,

Looking to spend cash on 4 new tyres 205/15 16.

Two choices Goodyear efficient GRIP 2 or Michelin Primacy 4, car originally came with Michellin Energy. Which should I go for.

Any advice and replies thanks in advance.

Have a look at the Tyre Reviews website. Lots of amalgamated testing from car mags around Europe on the size (presumably 55 profile, not 15) of tyre - one of the most popular, plus some by Jon who runs the website.

VW GOlf 1.6 - New Tyres - Manatee

Just watched the video. In that size, on that day, the latest Goodyear pretty well aced it.

VW GOlf 1.6 - New Tyres - catsdad

If you were considering Blackcircles they have a 15% off online promotion on Michelin tyres today.

Thanks I saw that.

VW GOlf 1.6 - New Tyres - Big John

Have you considered the Michelin Crossclimate? I've had Energy and Primacy tyres before but I love my Crossclimates. I also have 205/55 R16 and they are good in the summer, fantastic in very wet conditions (my commute frequently is!) and of course they are great in cold weather. However the best bit is they are sooo quiet.

VW GOlf 1.6 - New Tyres - Engineer Andy

Well worth the extra (for them and most of their direct competitors) if the OP gets any cold conditions or snow in winter in their area - that size normally attracts a 20-25% price premium over summer tyres.

I've been running a set of 195/65 R15s on my Mazda3 for 2.5 years now and noted very little reduction in summer performance, if any, over the previous set (6yo when replaced) of Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse summer tyres, which I rated highly. Ride quality/noise has improved.

I think that the tyre technology of all-season tyres (for the major brands anyway) has moved on sufficiently in the last 3 years that they can claim to be as good as equivalent spec summer tyres from the same brand from 5 years ago in 'summer' conditions, and likely better in the wet and far better in the winter.

The previous main failing for all-season tyres was poor mpg (mainly because they were often modified winter tyres), whereas now they are much closer in mpg terms to summer tyres (mostly C rated rather than E, compared to summer tyres which are A/B) - plus they are quieter than summer tyres and give a better ride quality, especially in colder weather.

The CC+ has the best wear rate, but that does come with a price premium as the tyre size increases or you go for less popular tyre sizes. Less of a problem in this case.

The OP should also consider the CC+, Bridgestone A005, Goodyear Vector 4S (not sure if the improved gen-3 tyre is available yet, but the gen-2 is still excellenet, though more suited to the Midlands/North rather than southern England as it is more winter biased than the first two) and Continental All-Season Contact (in between the first two and the GYs for winter performance).

I think it will all come down to where the OP is, what the use the car for and budget.

went for 4 Michelin Primacy tyres in the end.