Renting out my garage for storage of a vehicle - Wba50

Hi all

Is anyone currently renting out their garage to someone, or renting one from somebody else?

I'd like to rent mine and need help with rental agreement templates, prices to charge etc..The only rental agreements i can find online are for tenancy agreements. I'm seeing some surprising high prices near my area, Dudley, West Mids. I was thinking that £50 per month was fair, but I've seen up to £80 advertised.

Ideally I'd like to rent to a trusted friend under some gentleman's agreement but that's not looking possible so i need to expand my search.

The garage is only 2.4mtrs wide so you would struggle to open the doors once inside on most modern cars.

Edited by Wba50 on 11/09/2020 at 20:21

Renting out my garage for storage of a vehicle - concrete

2.4mtrs or 8' in old money. Not very wide at all. I suppose for just storage it is alright but more difficult for everyday use. Once you enter into a commercial agreement with someone then you are on tricky ground regarding household insurance, public liability etc. and of course your mortgage may exclude commercial enterprise from the house. If you can come to some informal agreement and stipulate that any prospective renter fully insures the vehicle and tell their insurers where it is garaged that may simplify matters. If the worst happened and there was damage it would be a b*****s muddle to sort out. You need to fully explain the situation and probably charge a much lower rent to account for this.

Cheers Concrete

Renting out my garage for storage of a vehicle - Bromptonaut

Is the garage integral, detached or in a separate block?

It's in a separate block along with about 30 others. It has no electric and a standard up and over door.

I know others rent theirs out.

Edited by Wba50 on 13/09/2020 at 13:46

Renting out my garage for storage of a vehicle - Andrew-T

It's in a separate block along with about 30 others. It has no electric and a standard up and over door.

I would be rather worried about what it might be used for, unless you intend to keep it under close watch, and (as you say) rent to known people.

I would be rather worried about what it might be used for, unless you intend to keep it under close watch, and (as you say) rent to known people.

Yes I have thought about that commercial waste, perhaps stolen goods. I can clearly see the garage from my house, but can’t keep watch all of time. I think I’ll see who’s interested and see what they think, and get some idea of what sort of person they are, sort of hoping it’s a near neighbour.

2.4mtrs or 8' in old money. Not very wide at all. I suppose for just storage it is alright but more difficult for everyday use. Once you enter into a commercial agreement with someone then you are on tricky ground regarding household insurance, public liability etc. and of course your mortgage may exclude commercial enterprise from the house. If you can come to some informal agreement and stipulate that any prospective renter fully insures the vehicle and tell their insurers where it is garaged that may simplify matters. If the worst happened and there was damage it would be a b*****s muddle to sort out. You need to fully explain the situation and probably charge a much lower rent to account for this.

Cheers Concrete

Thanks!!

Yeah i was thinking of my mortgage etc.. but really, as you have stated i was hoping for some informal agreement with the renter and also fully state where risk lies, and that i wouldn't be liable.

I would probably have to put something in writing. It's pretty much exactly 2.4mtrs. I got my old mk4 fiesta in and out, even in the dark with no damage at all, and got out just fine.

I have a MK7.5 fiesta now and looking at measurements online is quite a bit wider. I may just grow a pair and see if it will fit and i can get out.

Renting out my garage for storage of a vehicle - Brit_in_Germany

Plenty of agreements on the net.This is a version where there is a small charge:

www.netlawman.co.uk/d/license-agreement-for-lettin...e

Renting out my garage for storage of a vehicle - Falkirk Bairn

I would be wary about letting out the garage for rent - minefield of liability if something goes wrong.

A row of new ish detached bungalows in a village - many "older citizens".

A person I know of, like the rest in the street, has a detached garage with an electric door. About 6 months ago a fire started in his garage, destroyed his garage & his car - the house was OK because of strong winds.

The high winds had directed the flames to the garage & house next door - destroying a 2nd garage and setting a corner of the house on fire - the car was further down the driveway & was OK.

Not a sub let garage or anything but the bill for 1 car, 2 garages & doors, windows, roof on the next door house would have been substantial.

The house / car owner had a slight heart attack and was carted off to hospital when the firemen were putting out the blaze. I do not know if it was the car set fire to the garage or the electric door motor caused the fire - house & car were with the same insurer according to story I was given - all cleared up, new car & garages etc rebuilt in 2 months.

I would be wary about letting out the garage for rent - minefield of liability if something goes wrong.

A row of new ish detached bungalows in a village - many "older citizens".

A person I know of, like the rest in the street, has a detached garage with an electric door. About 6 months ago a fire started in his garage, destroyed his garage & his car - the house was OK because of strong winds.

The high winds had directed the flames to the garage & house next door - destroying a 2nd garage and setting a corner of the house on fire - the car was further down the driveway & was OK.

Not a sub let garage or anything but the bill for 1 car, 2 garages & doors, windows, roof on the next door house would have been substantial.

The house / car owner had a slight heart attack and was carted off to hospital when the firemen were putting out the blaze. I do not know if it was the car set fire to the garage or the electric door motor caused the fire - house & car were with the same insurer according to story I was given - all cleared up, new car & garages etc rebuilt in 2 months.

You've got me worried there mate. I was thinking what if they damaged my garage door and left me even more out of pocket.

I think if i'm lucky and get hold of someone off the estate, or someone i know i could probably be ok, but if not i might just forget about it.

I was thinking of asking £40 a month. It seems doesn't seem a lot to rake in weighing up the potential risks.

Edited by Wba50 on 13/09/2020 at 13:46

Plenty of agreements on the net.This is a version where there is a small charge:

www.netlawman.co.uk/d/license-agreement-for-lettin...e

Cheers for that. I've just had a look and it seems cheap enough. I would probably need to ask for proof of address if it's someone i don't know so could risk offending some.

Renting out my garage for storage of a vehicle - leaseman

If you are dealing, in any respect, with a person that you do not know, asking for proof of address should not offend anyone who is honestly operating. And, especially if selling them a car (slightly off subject, I know, but very pertinent) Always ask for proof of address- it will save you much heartache. I speak with personal professional experience. If it offends....run away!

If you are dealing, in any respect, with a person that you do not know, asking for proof of address should not offend anyone who is honestly operating. And, especially if selling them a car (slightly off subject, I know, but very pertinent) Always ask for proof of address- it will save you much heartache. I speak with personal professional experience. If it offends....run away!

Will do, thanks for the advice.