Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - mss1tw

I understand from looking at the service docs that a 'special tool' aka tappet holder is required to adjust the valve clearance on this engine. Current mileage is 70,000 and the engine is sounding a little tappety (Excuse the outdated term). I'm happy enough doing basic servicing and changing parts but this seems out of my league.

My usual indy didn't seem to think it was a job they could do, due to the tool (Although waiting for confirmation). I try to support smaller business so I just wondered if anyone knew of somewhere in or near to Surrey that could be relied upon to do this job properly (As opposed to a quick wipe of the cam cover and a change to thicker oil!)

This setup seems like a huge step backwards compared to the hydraulic lifters in my old CR-V...this doesn't even have VVT.

Cheers all

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - craig-pd130

If the valves are bucket & shim type, then you could probably check the clearances yourself relatively easily, you just need a set of feeler gauges and to be methodical, ensuring that the cylinder you're checking the clearances on is on its compression stroke with the cam lobes pointed away from the valves.

Generally, clearances with bucket&shim type valves tend to get smaller over time because of valve seat wear, and this manifests itself in difficulty starting from cold (because of compression loss). Does yours fire up OK during the first start of the day?

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - mss1tw

Hi Craig, thanks for that - yes starts first time every time after a couple of 'turns over'

I agree the checking procedure doesn't look too scary, I've checked and adjusted the old locknut type tappets on motorcycles. I'm just worried about messing with these being a can of worms!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - elekie&a/c doctor
Buckets and shims means the camshafts will very likely need to be lifted up . I would think the special tools needed are to lock the chain and camshaft sprockets.

Luckily I believe that's only for the 2.4 engine. The blurb says the tool is just for holding the tappet down/out of the way by bolting it to the camshaft housing(?). It does reference the camshaft, but not removal thankfully, and all the diagrams show it in place.

Edit: Special tool ref is: 09916–66510.

The price for an item I may only use once is prohibitive.

No reply from indy...

Edited by mss1tw on 24/08/2020 at 18:25

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - Metropolis.
Most self-respecting indies ought to be able to make do with their own extensive tool collections without needing the ‘special’ tool for the job. Every brand of vehicle will have special tools for bits and pieces, but they are really only introduced to make life easier at the dealership, not because it is impossible without it, it isn’t. The td5 has a special injector puller for example, important for the alloy cylinder head, but this is more for main dealers who can afford it or shade tree mechanics who are not so familiar and want peace of mind they are doing it right without damaging the head. I can recommend an old school mechanic, but they are a bit far from you (Glos). Have you tried looking around for local Suzuki dealers? Maybe worth getting a quote from some of them, the price might not be as bad as you think. A lot of Suzuki dealerships are smaller family run affairs, which is not always a plus but can be.

Thanks Metropolis, I'll see if I can find someone who can think outside of the box.

I wasn't too impressed with my closest Suzuki dealer (I won't name and shame) as when I phoned parts for some 7mm plastic push rivets in stock (Common throughout the car to hold trim/undertrays on) they laughed as if I'd asked if they had spare engine in stock.

Firstly, rule number one in business is - don't laugh at your customers and secondly, with none in stock what do they replace them with when they inevitably break upon removal of undertrays?

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - bathtub tom

If the cam doesn't need to be removed, then I should imagine the shim sits on top of the 'bucket'. I've seen such an arrangement where a tool is used to compress the valve spring, so tweezers can be used to remove the shim and insert another.

I think you're right. Here is a shot of the info:

ibb.co/82z577n

Of course, everything looks so straightforwards and easy in black and white line drawings which is why I'm hesitant about doing this myself.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - gkb40

That special tool looks very similar to the one used on Suzuki GS motorbikes in the 70's, I've still got one in my toolbox.

It depresses the bucket enabling you to remove the shim from the top of the bucket.

You'll need access to a selection of shim thicknesses to set the correct clearance.

Cheers for that! It looks like motorbike ones are much more common. So logically, is it correct to think the dimensions would have to be similar, as regardless of engine the tappet can only be so far from the camshaft, and the bucket can only be pushed down so far?

Are shims a universal item?

Apologies for stupid questions but I'm really not familiar with this system in a hands-on way. (But I am familiar with that sinking feeling when a routine job goes pear!)

Edited by mss1tw on 24/08/2020 at 19:47

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - bathtub tom

I can't answer your first question, but no, shims are not a universal item. You need the correct diameter.

The problem with doing this is: First you need to measure each valve clearance. Then you need to remove each shim whose clearance is outside tolerance and measure its thickness. Then you need to purchase the shim thickness required.

You may be able to get away with moving shims around different tappets.

I can't answer your first question, but no, shims are not a universal item. You need the correct diameter.

Thanks for clearing that up

You may be able to get away with moving shims around different tappets.

Cunning plan, I like it!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - paul 1963

Give "town and country cars" in ash a call, family owned Suzuki dealer, a great bunch to deal with.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - daveyjp

Here's a shim replacement on a slighly more exotic vehicle. Shim change from about 7 minutes in,

https://youtu.be/4yeeX58IOuY

Excellent explanation and video.

Here's a shim replacement on a slighly more exotic vehicle. Shim change from about 7 minutes in,

https://youtu.be/4yeeX58IOuY

Cheers Davey! That like to dislike ratio says a lot. I'll watch it shortly

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 J20A engine - Valve lash/clearance - Garage recommendation - Shannon Glasscock

Hello, did you ever find a tool to keep those buckets down when replacing the shims? Just curious as I have the same problem here and would rather not have to take off the camshaft to get to the shims that need replacing.

Thanks!