2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - YorkyPuds

I've a 58-plate (2008 Mk2.5) 1.8 petrol Focus that broke down last week due to a crap battery. The recovery guy said the alternator wasn't doing its job. He fiddled with a "small connector" and the alternator kicked back in again, but only for a few mins. He commented that the alternator looked new but the wiring could be dodgy.

Managed to get home and take it to an independent. He changed the battery (was only pulling 5V) to a Bosch S4 one. Tested the Alternator wiring as far as he could up to the main loom and there are no breaks. The alternator's 3-pin plug is getting a signal to and from the ECU too apparently. It's one of those SmartCharge things Ford is adamant is a good thing.

He reconnected the alternator and the car's idle went mental, rising to 2.5K and more without touching the accelerator pedal. We disconnected the 3-pin plug so it's now working as a standard alternator. Everything was fine for a few miles but now the following happens:

• Changing gear from 1st to 2nd leaves the revs high and they don't come down until 2nd is engaged. If I change gear at 2-2.5K they remain at 2-2.5K until 2nd is engaged.
  • If I coast with the car in neutral / clutch down, the revs drop to around 1.2K but hunt between 1.2 and 2K as if someone is blipping the accelerator
  • The car will sometimes automatically rev up to 3K when at a standstill and the only way to stop it is to engage a gear. I like like a right knobhead at traffic lights sometimes!
  • I've noticed the current MPG counter shows 99.9mpg when I have it in say 4th or 5th but aren't giving it any gas. It registers an acutal figure when I do the same in 1st and 2nd, like gas is still being applied
  • The current MPG counter also doesn't go to 99.9mpg if I have the car in neutral and am moving. It reverts to say 0.3l/100 or whatever when i come to a standstill
  • There's no EML showing, although the battery light is on because of the 3-pin being disconnected
  • There are no DTC codes when I do the dash diagnostic trick
  • Everything else seems fine, although MPG is pretty low to what I was getting previously

My OBD2 or whatever code reader came and I had a look around the different sections / readings.

Everything else seems OK but there was a Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage test. BS-S1 was massively fluctuating from like 0.005 to 0.700V but BS-S2 remained constant at 0.665V

I then got it to do the test and under the Bank1-Sensor test, there was one called $80 that showed these results:

Test ID: $80

Test Value: 0.7448V

Minimum Limit: 0.5000V

Maximum Limit: 0.0000V

Some of the other readings at idle once it'd been running 10 mins or so:

Absolute Throttle Position: 13.7% to 14.1%

Intake Manifold Abolsure Pressure: 7.5% to 7.8%

Short Term Fuel Trim: minus 3.9 to 0.8

Long Term Fuel Trim: 7.8%

Ignition Timing Advance For #1 Cylinder: 3.5 to 9.5

Is this an indication of a vacuum leak somewhere?

2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - elekie&a/c doctor
One of the three wires at the alternator is a battery sense wire . Usually red or orange . It’s important that this has a good solid voltage at the pin otherwise the alternator won’t function correctly. The wire needs to be load tested to confirm its integrity. Check this first before moving forward with any other issues.
2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - YorkyPuds
One of the three wires at the alternator is a battery sense wire . Usually red or orange . It’s important that this has a good solid voltage at the pin otherwise the alternator won’t function correctly. The wire needs to be load tested to confirm its integrity. Check this first before moving forward with any other issues.

The guy who looked at it after the breakdown said there was no breaks in the wiring for the alternator or anywhere else right up to the main loom. He said there was constant current back to the ECU too.

Quick update in case anyone has similar issues.

Garage has replaced the alternator. They said it looks quite new but have replaced it in case it is a faulty unit. Reattaching it to the ECU etc brought up a scannable code that suggests a faulty EGR value, which is strange on a petrol car so I'm told. They've ordered one in to replace it so hopefully that'll cure the weird revs etc.

Another update, the dealer called and didn't mention the EGR valve but informed me the mechanic has inspected all the tubes etc in the engine and can't find any signs of a leak. He thinks all the pipes go back to some pressure control valve so he's ordered one and will fit it when it arrives.

Does this sound like he's clutching at straws because it seems so to me.

2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - elekie&a/c doctor
Has any useful testing been done on this car ? Are they using the guess-o-meter method?
Has any useful testing been done on this car ? Are they using the guess-o-meter method?

I ran an ODb2 or whatever it is called and put the results in the first post. I've got a cable coming Saturday so I can use ForScan on it.

Dealer said a code for egr valve came up on his reader but no EML showed on the dash. They've apparently changed that but the weird revving is still happening.

2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - edlithgow

Code-Chasing Causes Compendiums of Cluelessness,

I think this is because the codes often/usually point to secondary effects rather than causes.

Simple example

(A simple example is all I can manage since I have very little experience with this er...stuff, and don't much mind if I don't get any more)

1997 Honda Accord (Your car is much newer so will be much worse) has an ËGR code

The EGR valve had evidently been swapped out on the strength of this, and was squeeky clean.

It was squeeky clean because the EGR piping was completely clogged, which should have been visible when it was swapped. Code Chasing..

You need to get this to a Critical Thinking Mechanic who can do DIAGNOSIS. Good luck with that.

I've got a mechanic where I live who is old school, takes everything apart and fixes rather than replaces if he can. The garage it's at now is who the dealer uses for their warranty otherwise it'd be with my guy.

Anyway, they're meant to be changing the PCV value if it arrives today. If that doesn't fix it I'm just going to get the car back and send to my guy.

I've downloaded ForScan on my laptop and have the proper cable coming tomorrow or Saturday so will plug that in too.

2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - kiss (keep it simple)

I had a similar but less serious issue with a 2012 petrol Mazda 6. Crazy idle speeds etc. After trying out various scan tools garage threw in the towel. I googled how to do an ECU re-learn procedure and this worked for a few days then the problem returned. Suspected battery was weak so bought a high quality new one and did the re-learn again. That was 6 months ago and the car has been fine since. So that might be your problem.

I had a similar but less serious issue with a 2012 petrol Mazda 6. Crazy idle speeds etc. After trying out various scan tools garage threw in the towel. I googled how to do an ECU re-learn procedure and this worked for a few days then the problem returned. Suspected battery was weak so bought a high quality new one and did the re-learn again. That was 6 months ago and the car has been fine since. So that might be your problem.

Problems started when the old battery died, it's got a brand new battery in it now and a new alternator. The garage just keeps changing values and all sorts, letting them got on with it for another day or two before requesting it back and getting someone who knows what they're doing to fix it for me!

2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - edlithgow

The difference above seems to be the re-learn procedure. Maybe they havn't tried that.

2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - Westbury33

I ran a 1.8 Focus for a couple of years. I noticed that the flexible rubber intake pipe from the air box to throttle body was split. Wasn't immediately obvious as it looked ok, but when moved, you could see the cracks/spits. An original part from local Ford dealer was <£15.

Worth checking?

PCV valve changed nothing but they then decided to do the ECU reset, let it idle for while etc and now it's completely fixed!

2008 Ford Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 Duratec Petrol - 08 Ford Focus 1.8 Weird Revs/Idle No Codes But S - kiss (keep it simple)

Result!