Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - RT

Now that lockdown is being eased and we can at least plan for holiday trips, I've realised I have an issue with my spare fuel cans.

When I tour the remoter parts of Scotland I usually take 2x 10 litre steel cans with extra diesel which gives me longer range between fill-ups - but my new(ish) VW Touareg has a "misfuel prevention" device in the fuel filler which requires a 25mm nozzle, no more no less - this is the size that all car and HGV diesel pumps are in UK so not a problem at the filling station but my existing spare fuel cans have nozzles which are too small to operate the misfuel device.

I contacted Wavian, one of the fuel can manufacturers and their nozzle is only 18mm so no good to me - have and BackRoomers got any practical suggestions?

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - Brit_in_Germany

A funnel should sort you out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-EMERGENCY-DIESEL-1782177-1833948/dp/B07RTS2ZDL/

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 25/06/2020 at 10:22

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - badbusdriver

My suggestion is that you don't actually need extra fuel!.

The Tourag has a 22 gal fuel tank. According to the real MPG figure on this website, the diesel should average 30 to the gallon, which gives a range of 660 miles. Even if we drop that figure to 20 MPG, as worst case scenario for hilly single track roads, that still gives 440 miles out of a tank. Scotland really isn't that big!.

I have lived pretty much all my life in Scotland, some of which in very remote areas, and i have never felt the need to carry extra fuel!.

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - daveyjp

We also tour Scotland a lot and have never not found fuel. Sunday closures can be an issue in some very remote areas and islands, but that can be planned for.

When I'm in remote areas once the tank is at half full I start thinking about refuelling. I wouldn't drag 20 litres of fuel around just in case, that's a lot of boot space.

I don't see how havimg the fuel gives you longer range getween fill ups as you are having to fill up from the spare tanks anyway and I assume at some point you have to fill them up.

Edited by daveyjp on 25/06/2020 at 10:38

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - jc2

Buy a refuelling nozzle from any Ford dealer!Specially designed for restricted fillers.

Buy a refuelling nozzle from any Ford dealer! Specially designed for restricted fillers.

Thanks - that seems an obvious solution

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - Brit_in_Germany

Buy a refuelling nozzle from any Ford dealer! Specially designed for restricted fillers.

That was the amazon link. A FoMoCo part.

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - Terry W

The wilds of Scotland may seem remote and dangerous to a traveller from the home counties, but it is rumoured that civilisation has now got to the area.

It is a little like a spread out south-west - not the Sahara where fuel, water, spare tyres, satellite phone may be recommended.

You may have to travel as much as 20 miles to find one, but filling up when (say) 1/3 full gives you quite a lot of places to try.

That was the amazon link. A FoMoCo part.

I bought the funnel for a Fiesta - only £2.99 including postage - it fits my VW a treat

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - Andrew-T

When I'm in remote areas once the tank is at half full I start thinking about refuelling. I wouldn't drag 20 litres of fuel around just in case, that's a lot of boot space.

To say nothing of the diesel smell, which is unlikely to be completely suppressed ?

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - thunderbird

Seems totally unnecessary. Even during lockdown fillings stations were open as normal. What would be the implications if you had an accident and the fuel stored in the boot caused a fire that would have not occurred if it had not been there. Would your insurers refuse to pay out? They would probably feel 5 litres is OK just in case of an emergency but 20 litres is 1/2 a tank on a small car.

Fuel Can Nozzle Size - for diesels - badbusdriver

To say nothing of the diesel smell, which is unlikely to be completely suppressed ?

The Tourag's boot has getting on for 600 litres of volume, so two 10 litre fuel tins isn't going to make much of a dent.

Also, I wouldn't have thought smell would be an issue unless you have spilled fuel over the outside of the tin while filling it.

Doesn't change the fact that you just don't need to be carrying extra fuel though!. I can understand it if it was for asthetic reasons. The full expedition look, bull bars, winches, spare wheels, spades, sand ladders, extra fuel(!), etc.

My reason for carrying extra fuel on such trips is so that I can tour for some time and then refill with cheap supermarket fuel - I'm not a Scot but I have their dislike for spending money.

I've done this before with other SUVs and had no issues with space or smell.

I'll be towing a caravan so my consumption will be down to 22 or less but with the extra I can leave refuelling until I get to Tain which is the last cheap fuel - otherwise I'd have to refuel an extra time on the way up/down.